WELCOME: Start here and Introduce Yourself! =)

Hello and welcome Toshifumi.
I just listened Rhapsody 2 and I like it. What a elegant piece, thank you.

1 Like

Thank you Urger for listening to this piece.
This piece was composed by Pean and premiered by me in DAW.
When I compose or arrange orchestral music, I use PreSonus Notion6, but this Rhapsody2 was the first time I used Studio One5.
I am not used to using Studio One5, so the notation was very difficult.

1 Like

Abstract Crystal was so relaxing and chill, I really liked it. Could be a good meditation music, or an intro to a banging EDM. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you Greg Santos-Koess for listening to my musical piece.
This music was a test of Abstract Crystal Pads released by SampleScience.
I carefully selected and composed several presets to sound meditative.
I also like it.

1 Like

Hi All

My name is Pete, and I am from Anglesey in North Wales.

Former pro orchestra trombonist, but left quite quickly as I simply did not enjoy it! I hated much of the music I was forced to play; and the 1st chair had at least another 20 years to go before I could get promotion - move one chair to the right and play notes a third higher!

Joking apart, I changed career completely and became a Naval Officer, reaching the rank of Captain.

After retirement, and a brief stint of teaching mathematics and applied sciences, I got back into playing at an amateur level. But my mojo soon left and I tried composing to keep my musical hand in. Was pretty rubbish at it, but I stuck to it. Learned through hard work - transcribing, copywriting, arranging, then orchestrating - working for a professional composer, doing his donkey work, and learning lots on the way.

I tried composition competitions and, eventually, achieved some success. So, I carried onā€¦ Didnā€™t really need the money, thankfully, but made a living orchestrating and arranging for small private chamber ensembles who couldnā€™t get their ā€˜mixā€™ of instruments off the shelf. Began having some of my compositions played here and there and, eventually, all over USA and Europe. Nothing major, but ticking over.

Fully retired, I had a purpose-built studio at the rear of the house and began composing my magnum opus a Requiem Iā€™d been meaning to get around to, whilst doing other bits and bobs. Ten years later, it is finished and I simply do not know what to do with it! Tried to get orchestras/conductors/etc. interested, but cannot get past the gatekeepers. Many pro and former-pro classical musicians (including two former professors of music) have heard it and are very complimentaryā€¦ but I cannot yet get it played.

A top-class soprano has agreed to sing the Agnus Dei ("ā€¦when the funding is in place"); and a world-renowned conductor said he would love to conduct it, but his own orchestra lacks the funding to play it. Anyway, ultimately, it doesnā€™t matter - I have written this thing thatā€™s been in my head and that is enough.

I have transcribed some movements for other, smaller ensembles and they have been performed to appreciative audiences, so it must have some merit. Anyway, rant over - the harsh realities of the modern music world. It is the same for everyone.

I write only using notation software - used to be Sibelius, but now Dorico 4 - and, although I bought Cubase a few years ago, never even opened the program!! I have no interest in programming, and Dorico with NotePerformer is all I use with hardly any tweaks in the playback. It plays back the dynamics and instructions enough to get the idea. Would love to put it through a proper realisation but I have neither the skills nor the inclination at my age to worry about it - never mind the funds.

My only claim to fame is that I share the same precedents as Rimsky-Korsakov - both former Naval Officers, trombone players, and neither of us a pianist!

Only this week, someone suggested I out my stuff on Soundcloud - so here it isā€¦ try not to laugh.

Good to be here

Pete

3 Likes

Hi all!

My name is Ingve, and I am a composer and a pianist and also I write lyrics, although Iā€™d like to focus on the music, not the words. I am good with words, but I am even better in music, although Iā€™d like to humble myself and be prepared for any song that might just pop up or down into me somehow.

I am also 32 years of age, and in a terrible situation, music-wise so to speak. I am locked inside of a building, with a medicine I have to take against my own will, that hinders me to compose. And I am prette principal, so I donā€™t want to even compose a single note as I am on this horrible medicine called Zyprexa, which is actually for what people nowadays call ā€˜psychosisā€™, and which I call seriously just a ā€˜condition of the soulā€™ (look it up, that is the meaning in greek). I am in huge pain, but I canā€™t feel a single thing! So Iā€™m looking for help I guess, and I hope someone can help me to start composing again!

That is all for now. Hope youā€™all are doing fine!

Your piece is filled with pathos, love and energy. The way it builds is very compelling. I loved it.

Hi Dori

Thatā€™s a wonderful compliment - thank you.
All seven movements are on Soundcloud (if you get the time!) - click on the link or simply wait at the end of each movement and the next one plays automatically.
Would be grateful for your opinion.
Thanks again
Pete

1 Like

Good morning everyone - I am new here - I play guitar and learning to write cinematic style music

I do not have any formal training so it is a slow process

I love Mikaelā€™s videos and his calm and patient way of speaking and thought joining this community would be a great idea

Hopefully, I can learn from everyone and eventually impart some musical wisdom of my own

1 Like

Hi Peter,

I canā€™t even imagine how much time and energy went into this project. Definitely worth it. I have no intention of ā€œprofessionallyā€ criticizing anyoneā€™s work. I can only say something based on my intuition.
I think your music is a combination of heroism, adventure and problem solving; as if it reflects a different part of a personal story.

Iā€™m sorry you didnā€™t get the chance to play the project with a live orchestra. I think maybe some universitiesā€™ musical ensembles might be interested.

Still, having your music published must have given you considerable relief. I donā€™t even think about the music industry (even the term seems weird to me) anymore. The point of view that approaches music from the point of view of profit and turns art into something that can be bought and sold is very pathetic. For me, art is a part and complement of the soul.
I think that if Rimsky Korsakov had made music under these conditions in our time, he would have been among millions of unseen and unheard and would have taken his place among the unknown geniuses. Of course, having a sexy girl with a good butt shake would have greatly increased her chances in this industry.

I wish you continued success and thank you for sharing your work with us.

1 Like

HI, Jon Burr hereā€¦
First of all, thank you, MikešŸ™šŸ¼ ! I would not be able to function without your videos.
Iā€™m what they call a ā€œveteranā€ bassist with a lot of old pro creditsā€¦ gotten into Finale, ProTools and now Logic over the last years.
Iā€™ve got a couple of businesses going -
Arranger for Hire
Finale Classes Online
I recently did a couple of scoring demos, one contemporary and one retro.
The video here has an end link to the other one:
Contemporary Score Demo
I have cues up on Soundcloud and a bunch of other stuff (client work and case studies) up on my website.
Love to hear your thoughts!
Mike, Iā€™m trying to reach you to see if youā€™d be up for an Omnisphere tutā€¦?
Thanks
Best regards
Jon
Jon Burr.com

Hi, my name is Jason Smith (JJ) I help produce and present the Ambient Hour Radio Show each week with Apple Radio. Currently searching for new composers for 2023 broadcasts. We have helped numerous composers throughout their careers and have chart success on popular music platforms. I love using Logic Pro and Kontakt 5,6,7 and tend to find myself drawn towards ambient music more than orchestral, however, iā€™m slowly learning through amazing videos like Mikeā€™s channel on YouTube and publishing my own music over time. love being part of this community and always love new music received. Send me your new releases to get a chance of being featured on Ambient Hour. jason@appleradio.co.uk Best Regards Jason

Good evening people, am new here on this forum. My name is Jonathan, I live in the UK; I graduated with a Degree in Music in 2012, and play the Clarinet, Saxophone, Flute and Piano (though not as often as the former 3), gigging and performing in Jazz, Classical and Popular styles. I am developing freelance work in composing, selling tracks on the Stock Music website Pond5; I compose in a variety of different styles, including Pop, Rock, Jazz, Soul, Corporate, Childrenā€™s, Techno/Electronica, Ambient, Classical and World styles. Not currently on Soundcloud, but a link to my Pond5 Profile is here Stock Music Tracks by Tapboxjon | Official Pond5 Storefront if any of you are interested. I will be posting later on the Forums about said site/potentially starting a new thread!

Hello Mike and all other composers,

My name is Fas Art. As this is a forum for professional composers, the first question to answer might be: What do I see as professional in myself? Hm, at least the following I may admit: I am an experienced ā€˜melody-whispererā€™. The thing is: every day and all day long melodies come and go within my head, the well never runs dry, flowing already since my teenage years.

These tunes, are they original? I assume they are. Although very singable, I never recognize them as heard before on the radio or other outlets. Some I do recognize, but only from earlier instances (a week ago or so) when they popped up for the first time and I noticed myself whistle-whispering them.

It is an unintentional lifelong phenomenon, maybe comparable with hearing voices in oneā€™s head. So isnā€™t it a mental health issue then? Or better a talent, a goldmine even? Or is it all at the same time, as is often the case? I have no idea. What I know is that fortunately I always liked that funny inner breath-whistler, because of the apparent calming, reassuring effect it had (and has) on me.

Anyway, to tackle this strange habit I started some years ago to record the most promising ones with my iPhone (if the circumstances allowed it). The amount of recordings is growing fast, itā€™s in the hundreds. With much spare time being a pensioner, I am in the position now to give these ā€˜mental orphansā€™ a decent shelter. In other words: to try to arrange them into full-blown musical compositions, helped by a DAW like Logic Pro and all the other amazing technological inventions these days.

Soundcloud-releases? Only a few some years ago, For instance this one for my daughterā€™s 36th birthday (sheā€™s now almost 42)::
Stream When I Am 36 by FasArt | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

2 Likes

Hi Everyone, love being part of this community.
I am a Professional orchestral and opera conductor from the Netherlands and I am mainly based in Europe.
during my studies I studied both conducting and composing, but focused more on the conducting part. Conducting has brought me to all kind of unexpected places in the world. But during the pandemic my passion for creating music started the boil up again. now I am beside a conductor an aspiring media composer. I am here to learn and read your comments and ask questions about composition.
If you have any questions about conducting or orchestration in the more classical sense, please try me, I might have picked up one or two things.

Cheers!!

Kent Moussault
https://www.kentmoussault.com

3 Likes

Hello! Iā€™m Rafael, an amateur drummer, producer and media composer based in MĆ”laga, Spain. Just found Mikeā€™s videos and forum and wanted to say hi. Iā€™m excited because this is a good chance of accessing new musical knowledge.

Please have a listen to some of my compositions and maybe you like them.

Cheers!

https://soundcloud.com/user-580852584-776820246/popular-tracks

3 Likes

Hi there, my name is Artur Bayramgalin, Iā€™m an composer, guitarist and producer of Breezz Studio.

I love all kind of jazz music.

Thank you for this foruml.

My site
My brand new Youtube channel

1 Like

Welcome Kent! Iā€™m always interested in learning more about orchestration, especially in a more classical, or 'concert orchestra" sense. Good sounding pieces you had.

Hello Rafael! Welcome! Iā€™ve been to Malaga, lovely place. This is a good community and I hope I or someone can answer any questions you have.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Artur!