WELCOME: Start here and Introduce Yourself! =)

Welcome Lizzie, glad to have you join us! =)

Hi everybody - I previously had an account on here but no longer have access to the email address I had used so I set up this new account.

I am a hobbyist composer and love music as it helps me to de-stress from the rigors of life

I am always open to learning about composing but, I also believe that you can break the rules - if something sounds good and it doesnā€™t conform to the rules of classic composition, then so be it

I look forward to interacting with you all

3 Likes

Hi
My name is Steven; my user/nickname is Weeeeve. Was a music major to start the 1980s, then dropped out and played professionally for the rest of the decade. Then attended UNT for 3 semesters as a jazz performance major, then played on cruise ships for two years. Finally decided to do something else for a living, and Iā€™ve been an aerospace engineer for the last two decades. However, Iā€™m still involved in music, either playing for church, or recording other people, or, in the last few years, writing my own music.

Happy to be in a community with other music lovers diving into the fun and complex world of composing and virtual instruments. Looking forward to growing together in our music.

Thanks,
Steven L

3 Likes

Hi, My Name is Andreā€™ (Knight Writr) Knight. I am from Jacksonville, North Carolina. I am a Hip Hop and R&B producer, and Iā€™m studying to be an orchestra composer. I play Piano as my instrument of choice, and itā€™s an honor to be among you guys. Thank you Mikael.

4 Likes

From my teens, I knew that making music is what I wanted to do for a career. After a few setbacks, I started college as a music major, but later decided that it would be more practical to change my major to Computer Information Systems. While earning a living through software development, I managed to score a couple of student and indie films and license a handful of tracks through music libraries. Now in my 50ā€™s, Iā€™m ready to devote more attention to music composition.

Sometimes, I give more attention to researching and acquiring virtual instruments than using them.

3 Likes

Hi there!

Iā€™m Jerry Gerber from San Francisco. I earned my Bachelor of Music in Classical Music Theory and Composition from SFSU and began scoring for TV, films, games, animation, documentaries, dance companies, music libraries and other projects. I quit scoring about 25 years ago to focus on album production. Iā€™ve released 15 albums which include 11 symphonies, many songs and short works and 3 (soon to be four) concerti. My studio includes the Vienna Symphonic Library Orchestral Cube and a lot of other tools and software.

3 Likes

Hi everyone :wave:

My name is Dom and Iā€™m a pianist, music teacher and composer.

Iā€™m originally from Brussels but I live in the UK in the Derbyshire area.

Like many musicians I have been locked down and just when this tricky situation started I had a friend of a friend in France asking me if could compose the music for her play.

I accepted and jumped into the world of Daw and virtual instrument. I had a few jobs composing for plays and one movie. The good thing with the lockdown is that I was able to do that hours everyday.

My goal is to improve my orchestration skills and mixing, balance, panning,ā€¦

I recently started a YouTube channel for posting my original composition and mockup of famous orchestral work:

Today I have just posted one piece on this channel which was my very first composition with a daw:

Iā€™m happy to be part of this community.

Thank you for your timešŸ˜Š

3 Likes

Hi,

Iā€™m Alwyn Carvalho, from India, Iā€™m studying a few instruments including the violin, viola, cello, guitar, piano, cajon, etc. Iā€™m trying to get more into composition and figuring out what works best to my ears.

I finished my MA in English Literature with a dissertation finding the parallels between Keatsā€™ Odes and the Ninth Symphony of Beethoven. Iā€™m greatly honoured to be a part of this forum as I have received much enlightening information from the posts written by Mike and others.

Hereā€™s a cover Iā€™ve made a while ago:

Sadness and Sorrow (Naruto) Cover

3 Likes

Hi ā€¦ my name is John. Iā€™m very happy to have found the Professional Composers forum! So much insightful information from the composing community. And listening to the many excellent compositions reminds me of how much I have yet to learn. That of course is in part why I have joined this group.

I have been composing symphonic and soundtrack type music now for about 7 years now, slowly improving with time. Prior to that I was playing a lot of guitar and commercial type music. But I lost interest and did not find this to be as rewarding as composing for orchestral instruments.

My DAW software is Presonus Studio One 5 Professional. I also use Presonusā€™ Notion 6 for notation. I use Notion 6 to notate my idea/rough composition and then port it to Studio One for finishing.

I just recently wrote Notion 6 .prules files for my sound libraries (BBCSO / Tableau Solo Strings / Others) so that I could use these libraries in Notion 6 rather than the stock sound samples that come with this notation application.

My music links are:

1. Website: www.johnwaylett.com
  2. YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn7wkz2WEGwKjhMujvDyE_w/videos

My most recent compositions, ā€œDancing on Airā€ and ā€œThe Photographerā€ show a drastic improvement as compared to my earlier work. Through time I have posted all my compositions on my YouTube channel. This has provided me with a sense of how I am progressing from my earliest works to my most recent.

My hope is to meet other members interested in sharing ideas and learning about orchestral/soundtrack music composition and production.

Thanks,
John

3 Likes

Hello everybody creating new ideas and wonderfull music.My DAW is Reason Propellorhead 4.0 and along with Launchpad49 from Novation and a whole of fantasy creating tracks and art.
Check me out on Soundcloud:[Stream Crystal Realms by I.A.M inspiratedartmusic | Listen online for free on SoundCloud]

I hope to learn here a lot and contribute where i can. See you later

2 Likes

I realy enjoyed this masterpiece and get inspired by it. I am myself a multi-creative person with one life motto: Iā€™ve never done it before, so i think i can do it!
Artist in storytelling, drawing and painting even printing and music composing. This will be my next step!

1 Like

Hi Dan Lis,
I am just astartercomposer and nowlistening to your work:

Symphony No. 3: Social Media, Self Help.

Realy inspiring.

1 Like

I am an American musician and writer based in Prague, Czech Republic. The best way to introduce myself and my music would be in the context of outsider art. I am a self-taught musician and noisician, if you will.

In college I focused on writing and literature. When I moved to Europe, I started bands and electronic music projects.

I ventured into formal composition very recently, during the pandemic. Using and adapting the concepts and techniques of found art, of randomness in source material, and of minimalism in structure, I started composing works ranging from electronica to classical ensemble pieces ā€“ short, sparse pieces for piano; longer, more involved compositions for large ensembles; atmospheric, somewhat ambient creations for both electronics and classical instrumentation.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing.
I am gige , a computer engineer. Its my first post here.

1 Like

Hello! I would really enjoy saying Iā€™m a composer of fine music or a multi-instrumentalist however thatā€™s not the case. I am an entrepreneur who is passionate about finding opportunities and creating win-win propositions for everyone involved. The music industry has shown up on my radar representing an opportunity. I have been absorbing all the information I can find which has led me to your community.
As I read member introductions and listened to the music, I realized why I was led here. We need each other. You need to generate more revenue for yourselves and for me to capitalize on the industry opportunities I need to create some music. The most efficient way is to work together. Anyone who is open to discussing should reach out to me. I look forward to learning and creating with everyone.

1 Like

Hi. I am Cheyanna, often go by Anna for short. I started getting serious about composing in 2018. At that time, I had some successes, but also a lot of failures and I quickly realized my limitations. As I have continued to compose, I have gotten better and better at composing for larger and larger ensembles and now, I feel like the orchestra is one of the easiest ensembles to compose for, whereas 3 years ago, it would have been the hardest.

Iā€™m not really composing for the money, as slow as I am, thereā€™s just no way Iā€™d make much money as a composer. I am wanting to get my pieces performed, but the whole maze that there is in first finding the performers and then contacting them, itā€™s overwhelming. So about all I can do performance-wise at the moment is solo piano performance. And even then, Iā€™m unsure of where to do it, because the place I used to do piano recitals at is out of business. And I always get really nervous and stressed out about whether Iā€™ll make a mistake or not, like I know I can play it mistake free, but itā€™s still stressful.

Iā€™m just composing for the love of composing really. Itā€™s the same reason I write a lot, itā€™s the same reason I knit, is because I love doing it. And speaking of writing, Iā€™m currently in the middle of writing a book about music theory. Iā€™m going over everything I know about harmony and form in Classical Music in that book.

And speaking of Classical Music, thatā€™s where I specialize as a composer. I have listened to Classical Music since I was a baby. Itā€™s Classical Music that made me start playing the piano when I was 10. And itā€™s Classical Music that made me start writing compositional drafts when I was 12. From that point onwards, I knew that I would specialize in Classical Music as not just a pianist, but a composer.

My compositional style is very much influenced by my favorite composer of all time, Beethoven. While yes, I sometimes write music in a more modernist style and I sometimes write music in a more Baroque style, my general style is more like the Classical and Romantic Eras. I use Musescore as my notation software when Iā€™m composing. Hereā€™s some of what I have composed over the past few years:

Canon in Bb - My first ever composition
March of Iwo Jima - My first major orchestral work to be finished (I had a tone poem started before then, but kind of just forgot about it)

And currently, Iā€™m working on a few projects, one of which I will make a separate post about in the Composition and Production subforum.

4 Likes

ćÆć˜ć‚ć¾ć—ć¦ć€‚
Nice to meet you.
My name is Toshifumi Abo. I am Japanese.
I donā€™t speak any English, so I wasnā€™t sure if should write my greetings here. I am writing here on a hunch.

There was a time when I used to compose game music for commercial and doujinshi software, but now I am just an ordinary old man.

I usually provide a bit of music material and
I compoced Vocaloid Songs in the Nico Nico Douga Vocaloid community and participate in the ā€œOriginal Classica Premier Festivalā€ in the DTM Classicic community.

Sorry for the rambling.:sweat_smile:

nico video : Stradivarius - ćƒ‹ć‚³ćƒ‹ć‚³
youtube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu5CRFAGtiN0CsfbRv81UZg
SoundCloud : Stream Strad.Fenrir music | Listen to songs, albums, playlists for free on SoundCloud

2 Likes

Hello, my name is Ameer.

I have always loved classical music but have only written and performed in guitar based bands. However Iā€™m writing my first score for a short film and wondered if this might be a good place to learn and share.

Thank you for the welcome.

2 Likes

Hi Mike and everyone! My name is Dori and I have been composing music since the time when you had to go to a professional recording studio and play live. Fast forward until today, I learned the Mac computer, the Logic program, and I am now taking every course Mike offers, one by one.
Most of my music is on CDā€™s and I donā€™t know how to get it to this site to share with you. So much to learn!
I admire all of you and share your passion for music.
Mike, I am so grateful every day for how much I am learning from you. Thanks so much to all of you!

Hi everyone, Greg here. Glad to join the community.
I improvise piano pieces inspired by 19th / early 20th century composers, though I often venture back and forth in time, inspiration-wise.
My music is often moody, it can often start a bit dark but it sees the light, eventually!
I donā€™t do this professionally and my stuff is mostly unscripted and unrehearsed, so be gentle please.
A peek at my latest tracks.
Looking forward to chatting with some of you.

1 Like