WELCOME: Start here and Introduce Yourself! =)

Welcome Fran, very nice to have you on board! :slight_smile:
Will Miguel also sign up? I would love to have both of you be part of the community. Btw, the more you are active in the community, the higher your member level will become, which will open up more sections, give you extra bonuses and rewards etc. I like being able to give more to loyal members that are active in the group! =)

Sincerely,
Mike

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

My names Ben Beard ( awesome name I know! people always remember it ;p )

My Background is actually in Musical Theatre, I was a professional singer/dancer for 8 years before moving into the singing side full time, Iā€™m currently about to start UK theatre tour of BeeGees musical playing Maurice Gibb! and I also run my own 70ā€™s show and Frankie Valli tribute.

Been writing acoustic music for 10 years ( as I play guitar) and I dabble on piano. Starting writing Film compositions this year as I tried it out and found I loved it more than writing my other acoustic stuff. So been immersing myself in everything I can read/watch and learn about it as I want to make it a good side career alongside my performance work, as i tend to have a lot of free time in the day.

Looking forward to hearing everyones bit and getting inspiration.

( Linked a playlist of some of the bits Iā€™ve created this year, hopefully it works )

3 Likes

Awesome, glad to have you join the community Ben! :sunglasses:

• One of the reasons I love this introduction post is that we can all get to know each other a bit more right from the moment a new member joins. I want to make a place that feels like a friendly and vibrant community (not simple forum). :slight_smile:

I listened to the first track on your playlist just now, which I think sounds great, even though you might want to work on the titling of your tracks. :wink:

I loved when it opened up at 2:00! The intro is a bit repetitive harmony/chord wise imo, before the change at 1:30. I would recommend using some more sizzle and air percussion to open up the full percussion mix. Cymbals, shakers, sticks etc. I do hear some cymbal swells though but I would add more sizzle/high-end percussion personally. :slight_smile:

I hope you will become an active and regular member here Ben, as I aim to make this the most amazing community for composers onlineā€¦in the world! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sincerely,
Mikael ā€œMikeā€ Baggstrƶm
Founder of professionalcomposers.com

1 Like

Hello Iā€™m James, composer from France I spend a lot of time with my computer looking at him when he try to load all the cinematic libraries I wish to use on my projects.
You can listen my music on youtube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-1EUIXSNJVmf3E6pa_V7NA
Best regards,
James

1 Like

Thanks for feedback.

What do you mean by tilting exactly? Also is there any particular air percussion youā€™d recommend?

Hopefully will, always have a lot of free time so hoping to contribute to the forum everyday if i can

1 Like

Title of the track. :stuck_out_tongue:

I love the stick hits in Damage Armageddon Patch for high end drive. Ride cymbals can also work sometimes even in cinematic music (hi-hats not so much). Piattis (hand crash cymbals) are great for accenting beats.

Also some mid/high world percussion can be great for adding rhythmic variation in the percussion mix. Frame drums can be great for this for example. Mid range Taikos, Dhols etc. Iā€™m not a huge fan of congas/bongos as they are too worldy sounding for most cases. Also, shakers and rattles of all kinds can be amazing.

1 Like

Miguel Vallejo here! To complete what my friend and partner Fran said, I would like to add that lately we have focused on the world of the trailer. Preparing a reel to send to publishers. But we also love making music for games, movies ā€¦
Glad to be here!

1 Like

Nice, great to have you here Miguel, I truly appreciate your support of my YouTube channel too! =)

Oh that is amazing that you are going into the trailer niche, I know it is one of the most competitive fields in the music industry, but if you get even one track licensed I heard the fee you get is the highest sync fee you can get basically in the music licensing industry.

Wish you the best Miguel, keep making music and pitching to labels! =)

1 Like

Hey hey Composers,

My name is Brett James, and Iā€™m a film/media composer, producer, sound designer, and multi-instrumentalist from San Francisco, CA. I split my time between Los Angeles and The Bay Area for much of the year, contributing to a multitude of projects, ranging from ad campaigns for television on through documentaries and feature length films alike. The bulk of my campaign work is completed through a well known San Francisco production firm, with my skill set having contributed to ad campaigns for NVidia, Nike, The San Francisco Giants, Golden State Warriors, San Francisco 49ers, Adidas, Uber, Microsoft, and many others. As of this writing, Iā€™m currently in production on my 7th solo credit feature length film, along with contributing additional music to two major studio high budget pieces.

My background, while not completely unconventional, has contributed in a unique way to what I have to offer as a composer. I got my start in piano at age 5 and guitar at 8, and spent much of my formative years in orchestra playing violin, guitar, horn, and piano. During my senior year of high school, I joined a touring pop/punk band that saw moderate success and afforded me the opportunity to tour all of North America along with Australia and Japan. At 19 I joined a hard rock act that saw a higher yield of commercial success, and spent the next 8 years on tour supporting Nickelback, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, among others, as well as earning writing credits for Enrique Iglesias, Smash Mouth, and Chris Daughtry. At 27, road life began to take its toll, so I opted out and played my final show in my hometown on The Vans Warped Tour as a sit in with another band. I wanted to remain in music, whilst still making a living but without the touring component, so I returned to school to get my undergraduate degrees in Recording Arts, and Music Production, both from Full Sail University in Winter Park, Florida. After earning my undergraduate degrees and realizing my love for film and media, I attended Bostonā€™s Berklee College of Music, earning my M.M. in Composition.

I was raised under the pretense that knowledge is meant to be shared with those that have a passion for curiosity. There is no such thing as a stupid question, even if the answer is directly in front of you. Sometimes people just need a nod in the right direction, and thatā€™s ok. I myself, am a lifetime learner, and aside from my handful of close to the heart enjoyments outside of music, Iā€™m constantly reading composition literature, and as odd as this may seem, manuals. Manuals for everything thing I own. Both software and hardware. While Iā€™m a firm believer in experimenting, nothing enables you to do your job and innovate better than knowing the tools available to you better than you know yourself in most cases.

The music community is an incredible collection of unique souls that speak a language that many arenā€™t fortunate enough to be able to speak fluently themselves. So I hope to share something with all of you and learn at an relative ratio from people around the world. Cheers!

4 Likes

Really nice introduction, and I like your down-to-earth and humble attitude. As well as being a lifelong learner (which I believe everyone is even if some donā€™t recognize that fact haha). :slight_smile:

Perhaps you can edit your intro to include your portfolio, or at least one of your tracks on SoundCloud? I love to hear the style and ā€œpersonalityā€ of fellow composers =)

Sincerely,

Hello Everybody! What a cool thing to be apart of something new in our community!

My name is Ryan Stella and I am a composer from Memphis, Tennessee. I am 21, so I am just emerging on to the scene. I have hopes to be a film/media composer, but I first need to graduate college next May and then take some serious steps to furthering my career and making the necessary connections in our industry!

I am hoping to get my masters degree in film/TV/game scoring either at UCLA, USC, NYU, or Berklee in Valencia. The alternative to getting a degree would be getting an internship with a studio.
I have been in talks with a composer for a gaming studio in Los Angeles and may be getting an internship with him next summer! Fingers crossed for that because it would be a perfect opportunity to get some real hands on experience. I would also learn from some people who have done this for years which would be fantastic.

Right now I am really working on scoring scenes and learning how to be most effective. I have work to do, but I feel as if I am getting better every scene. I am also working on learning sound design techniques as well as state based music systems which are in video games.

I have SOO much to learn and I am so thankful Mikael has created groups and forums where I can seriously learn from the best! (you guys!)
I am always learning, and this forum give me the chance to learn even more!!

I am very excited to be apart of this forum! If you would want to follow my journey, my socials are:

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/ryanstellaYT
Facebook: Ryan Stella Music
Instagram: @RyanStellaMusic

Or if you would want to chat composition, feel free to add me on facebook at Ryan Stella!

Best,

Ryan Stella

2 Likes

Super awesome to have you here Ryan! =)
Wow, hoping you get that internship. Best way to learn is always by doing.

Your YouTube link did not work? Do you have have SoundCloud profile? Can you update your introduction, would love to hear what style and personality your compositions have. :slight_smile:

Hi I am Tom i am 27
I have completed a extended diploma in music practice and a bachelors degree in Music Performance and Technology and have also now finished a few online courses with thinkspace. I have also played guitar since i was 15 but not as much over the past few years because of a spine condition.
for the past 3 years I have been composing for audio dramas the latest SCP ARCHIVES by Bloody Disgusting. I occasionally publish articles or have discussions about my disabilities/conditions and how they influence or affect my work.
I have been a finalist for a few awards i have a Youtube channel with originals and covers to.
Youtube

2 Likes

Welcome Tom, great to see you in here! =)
Wow extended diploma, that sounds pretty serious. I myself am self learned from books, practice (well piano lessons too), courses etc. And mainly by making music since 1998ā€¦man Iā€™m getting old lol. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry to hear about your injury, I guess you have to be careful of long sitting sessions in the studio? I donā€™t have any injury yet but I do often feel back pain. My dream would be to have a studio with a sit/stand desk on motors capable of holding up 200pounds of studio gear lol.

Just listened to your 8dio entry. Mystery with a very deep character. :slight_smile:

Hello everyone!

My name is IvƔn Dominik and im a trailer music composer from hungary.
Iā€™ve been composing more then 3 years now but been playing on guitar about 7-8 years. Well not really related to music but just finished university (sadly not related to music) so finally i have time to dedicate more and more to produce the hell out of myself!

Got into some trailer music publishers last year like Avalon-Zero, DosBrains, Infrasound and so far i only got a quote request from paramount but did not end up having the placement sadly.

Personally i like to compose every kind of epic music and also sound design but im in love with epic pop too since i like to sing and would love to work with hidden citizens too in the future if i can get better at it.

here is my youtube link where i post sometimes since the trailer tracks i cannot post :smiley:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjjFoX4WFe0xFzJN6B6U1RA

Thanks for the invite, good day to everyone!
Dominik

2 Likes

Hello Everyone,

My name is David Michael Tardy. I have loved music & sound, for as long as I can remember. When I was very young, I used to walk around the house for hours (slowly) with a portable record player, listening to the sounds of humpback whales, which drove my parents insane. I have always had melodies in my head and even the doctor who delivered me, said that I came out humming.

My interest in synths and samplers began, when I started to hear orchestral melodies in my had, but I had no idea how I was going to reproduce what I was hearing. Finally, in the 8th grade I heard a group of 3 men, reproduce the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey, which sounded like a full orchestra, in a special school assembly. So, I saved money by mowing lawns and doing various extra chores and purchased my first sampling keyboard, which was an Emulator Emax II HD. At that time there were no VSTā€™s and sound libraries were only on CDā€™s and CD-Rom discs. The best orchestral library available was Miroslav Vitousā€™ Symphonic Library, which was only available on CD-ROM discs and it cost a whopping $3,500, for just a fraction of the samples that are on todayā€™s sample libraries. I have always had a passion for cinematic music. So, that is how it all began.

In 2005, I started teaching as an instructor at The Institute of Audio Research in NYC for 8 years, while composing music for television commercials at Vito DeSario Editing and Bang Music.

Today, I am 47 years old (soon to be 48 on Friday) and just recently became a composer for Gothic Storm, Atom Music, Muchas Music, Amadea Music and Velvet Green Music.

I wish all of you blessings and success on your musical journeys!

Aho Mitakuye Oyasin,

David

You can find me on:

2 Likes

Welcome Ivan, great to have you join the greatest composer community ever! :wink:
Wow, congratulations for getting into those Trailer labels, that is amazing!

I listened to your ā€œBetrayed by Trustā€, love the emotional intro, I can feel the ā€œtrailer actā€ structure, the build-up still have a lovely emotional melody and tone. A bit oriental sounding, the drums are hitting very hard to drive the groove. The climax feels very noble and powerful! Great work my friend! :slight_smile:

Sincerely,

Hello David my friend, great to have you join the Professional Composers Community. I am so happy you got in here finally! :slight_smile:

You already know how much I respect you as a composer, and for your lovely emotional music. You are the emotional strings master haha! :stuck_out_tongue:

I also want to congratulate you for your recent success at getting into several great music publishers, and I wish you great success on your journey ahead! :slight_smile:

Sincerely,

1 Like

Hello everyone,
Glad to see such an awesome community! My name is Medhat, Iā€™m a film composer from Montreal, Canada :slight_smile:

I started studying classical piano at age 4 then switched to pop and jazz, did a degree in composition and arrangement at Marie-Victorin college, then studied Digital Music at the University of Montreal and Iā€™m about to start a masterā€™s in Film Scoring at Berklee online in January 2020.

I wrote original scores for many feature films, games, TV, and multimedia shows and my music has been featured on networks around the world such as the BBC, CBC, ARTE, and Teletoon.

Since 2016, I started teaching a film scoring and a music production course at a sound engineering school in Montreal and I love meeting fellow composers and talking about film music!

You can find me at: http://filmcomposer.ca
Twitter: https://twitter.com/medhathanbali

Cheers!
Medhat

2 Likes

Ah, I am so glad you decided to join the Professional Composers Community Medhat, also thank you for the insightful chat we had earlier. That is what the Internet should be about. Genuine conversations with respect, intelligence and kind spirit! :slight_smile:

Wow, classical piano from 4 years old. You must have some amazing skills today. I wish I had more time practicing piano, but I get by at least for composing purposes.

You donā€™t happen to have a portfolio, or a composition of yours that we can listen to? I always love hearing fellow composers style and personality in their music :slight_smile:

Sincerely,