WELCOME: Start here and Introduce Yourself! =)

Hi everyone,

My name is Andrei Shulgach. I’m a composer from Maryland, USA. I started composing professionally in 2013, with student films in the area. Since then, I’ve had the opportunity to expand to Feature Films, TV Pilots, Web Series’, and Video Games. I plan on continuing to compose for projects for the rest of my life, along side my other focuses in life.

Aside from composing, I also develop games! I’ve been developing games personally for about 10 years now, and only in the past few years have I had the chance to travel around the world to E3 and Tokyo Game show to connect with other developers, share my game, and network. I’ve showcased my games at local large conventions and festivals in the area like MAGFest and Artscape. One of the best parts of game development is getting to write original and fitting scores without having to go to another composer (although sometimes I like to collaborate). You can check out my stuff here: Portfolio

Aside from game and music, I have a UI company that builds packages and tools for developers on the Asset Store, as well as branding for companies in Maryland: www.slimui.com
I enjoy helping developers avoid that tedious learning curve of UI so they can focus on what’s important - their games.

I’ve been extremely blessed to have had so many cool opportunities and I’m excited to see what comes next. The balls are always rolling and now the hill is getting steeper :). I’m happy to be here and looking forward to seeing how this community grow.

Cheers!
Andrei

2 Likes

Thank you Mike. There are people in a lifetime that a person is meant to meet and you are one of those people for me. I always enjoy our conversations about music, libraries and the world in general. Blessings my friend and thank you for creating the wonderful Professional Composers website, Facebook group and now, this fantastic forum! Blessings :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey all!

Im Robbie im a composer,producer and song writer from Virginia

I started playing music at 13 playing in rock and metal bands guitar being my main instrument always had a passion for movie music and in 2012 i had my first son and i left the band and tour life to become a composer and producer and of course daddy. Haha

Recently ive been doing alot of work on hip hop tracks for the local artist in my area my demo reel for visual media will be coming out shortly : ]

1 Like

Hi everyone, William Morris here.

I’m currently writing for trailers, film and commercials. Here is my site where you can see some recent placements and projects.

http://williammorrismusic.com/

I also have a YT channel, where I do video reviews and production tips.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3nFB-BeBBeIxLeinQw3RDQ

Looking forward to chatting about all things music and seeing what everyone gets up to.

2 Likes

Welcome Andrei, super awesome to have you here! =)
I remember how insanely impressed I was by the range of fields you do creative work in haha. You are one of a kind my friend! :wink:

I guess being in the game world and community is also a great way to connect as a composer with those industry professionals. I’m happy to hear your success. The hill indeed gets steeper the more you work, connect, and evolve! :slight_smile:

Sincerely,
Mikael “Mike” Baggström
Founder of professionalcomposers.com

Welcome Robbie! :slight_smile:
I think many composers started as artists, and then realized we love our studio caves more than touring and performing. I had a rock star dream once (fusion of EDM and Metal). But I also decided to go all in on composing. :slight_smile:

Sincerely,
Mikael “Mike” Baggström

1 Like

Hello William, and welcome! =)
I’m so glad you decided to join the Professional Composers Community.

LOVE your website btw, a really professional and clean look focusing on what’s most important. I just listened to the track “Apocalypse or Not”. Was not expecting the deep, thoughtful and intellectual introduction. Very soaring emotional vibe, loooong bittersweet harmonies and the shrill/airy melody and ambience. Very nice! =)

Sincerely,
Mikael “Mike” Baggström

1 Like

Hello, my name is Jonathan Merkel, I am a composer, songwriter and producer. I mainly write music for TV and Film placements. I’ve been doing that for 15 years now. I co own a song catalog with a business partner and I also write for several music libraries on my own. I like and write different styles, I’ve been focused on Hip Hop and Latin music for a while now. I’m writing more trailer and epic music lately and that’s what I want to get into more this year.

My personal website is here, it needs an update
www.jonathanmerkel.com
and my song catalog is here
www.beatchamber.com

1 Like

Hello Jonathan, great to have you here! =)
Oh yeah now I remember you talked about your music library. I hope it still does good for you? I would imagine there is a lot of administrative and management work involved?

Haha, everyone seems to want a piece of that lucrative trailer music market, including myself btw :wink:

Sincerely,
Mikael “Mike” Baggström

Hello. I’m Sébastien from France. Been playing guitar for many years sometimes in bands, sometimes on my own.
I started to have fun with keyboards a few years back and then discovered the money black hole called Kontakt…
Now I’m learning more and more about orchestral music and try to blend it with heavy guitars.
I also do more ambient tracks on my channel.
I have been blessed to make amazing collaborations since I’ve started and look forward to do more.
You can find my channel here and I’ll happily go and check everyone’s posts as I get the time. So many already

1 Like

Hi Everybody!

I’m an NYC based pianist, composer and music director, originally from Switzerland. My work has led me around the world, to the UK, Spain, Australia, and other places. I believe in a holistic approach to music, and that’s why I pursue a range of jobs, including ballet pianist, pitband keyboarder, music director, film composer, synth preset designer, music copyist, educator, and programmer (sequencing). I graduated with an M.M. in Scoring for Film, TV and Video Games from Berklee.

My home studio philosophy is mostly in the box, partly because I love software, and partly because space is limited in NYC. Some physical equipment I have and love: Platform by Output, Blackmagic Multidock, UA Apollo Twin, ATH-M50x, and SL88 Studio. On the plugin and VI side, I’m invested in many of the major brands.

Below are a few snippets of my work:

Looking forward to reading what everybody here is doing!

2 Likes

Nice, welcome Sebastien…great to have you here! :slight_smile:
Black hole Kontakt…hahah I feel you on that one.

I like that you are adding heavy guitars into your compositions, it makes you stand out more I think (I wish I could play better haha).

I listened to several of your tracks, and what I love about your style is that they have such deep atmosphere to them…which pulls you in! :slight_smile:

Please do bookmark this community website so that you will remember to come back often, I’d love to have you be an active member. There will be rewards for loyalty…might even have cookies (the real kind) :wink:

1 Like

Welcome Andreas, great to see that you decided to join! =)
Oh, this is the kind of introduction I love to read. Exactly my intention, getting to know the story behind every composer that joins the community.

Interesting to hear you talk fondly about ITB philosophy as a pianist. I would have imagined a real piano somewhere, at least for sketching ideas? I have a digital Roland piano in my living room btw, just to get out of the studio sometimes. :slight_smile:

I checked platform by output, but it could not fit my current full size MIDI keyboard if I remember correctly. Very tight squeeze. Blackmagic Multidock is something I looked at, as I want to reliable and fast SSD solution that is not the mess of external SSDs behind my computer haha.

I would love if you bookmarked this community website and check back, as I intend to make this the single most vibrant and valuable community for composers online (it’s what I always wanted, one place to rule them all instead of being spread all around the web). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone. Tim Finch here in the South West of England. Thanks Mikael for the invitation to join.

Loooong term Logic Pro user, starting with C-Lab Creator in about 1989, then Emagic Notator SL, then Logic 2 on Atari STacey (laptop version of the ST!). Brief flirtation with Logic Audio Falcon on Atari Falcon030. Subsequently moved to Logic 8, then 9 and now 10 on Mac.

Involved with two separate musical projects. Later the Same Day band - see video below, and also composing partnership with old school friend Matt under the title Lost In Finland - album of instrumental funk disco music to come.

Composing for me so far has been a ‘serious hobby’ and has generated some income over the years to ‘offset costs’ rather than ‘put food on the table’.

VIDEO - Plight of the Passionate by Later The Same Day : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Oy-nHy0Bc
VideoThumbnail-YTButton-PlightLogo-BandLogo

Thanks all! Tim.

4 Likes

Yes our library is still doing well and you’re right, lots of the time spent is fixing problems with royalties, doing excel spreadsheets, those are essential parts of it.

Its great to be here, this looks like a great website you’ve started, congrats.

Welcome Tim, I’m so glad you joined. =)
Wow, you almost started before MIDI itself. I assume you use(d) a lot of actual instruments, hardware synths? Still do?

I am basically completely in the box with software instruments and effects. I do have one guitar, and several microphones mainly for sound design. But that’s it.

I used to have (still have in storage) a couple of hardware synths, but I should really sell them as they just collect dust atm.

I’m glad to hear that Jonathan. I have huge respect for you being able to cope with that kind of management (I would go crazy haha).

Thank you, I’ve had this idea for this community for a year…spent looooots of hours planning. But it all just comes down to one thing: Just. Do. It. And here we are :slight_smile:

Will be interesting having you part of discussions on music libraries, licensing, sync, publishing etc…as you are “in the midst of it all” yourself.

Please consider bookmarking this community website to remember checking back. It’s great having you here! =)

Well Hello! My name is Tuomo and I am composer and producer from Finland. I started my musical journey in 2000, but more seriously in 2008 as Mechanik Project.
I have been mostly producing electronic music, not mainstream but Dub, Dubstep, Trip-hop, DnB, Breakbeat, House, Trap etc. but also electronic-cinematic music. I have also won the Independent Music Award few years ago featuring Brooke Mitchell which is my careers highlight aswell.
Last couple if years I have been composing Trailer-music as Mikael Sagulin mostly, but my roots are in alternative, electronic music.

You can find me in www.mechanikmusic.com (which I find difficult to keep updated) and www.soundcloud.com/mechanikproject

Thanks
Tuomo

2 Likes

Hello and welcome Tuomo, I’m so glad to see you here! =)
Mikael Sagulin? Good name for an alias :wink:

Checked your website, looks nice. Btw may I ask how you got your music used by those famous brands? Through a publisher, library?

Sincerely,
Mikael “Mike” Baggström

Well, Mikael is my middlename and my surname is unusual so it made some sense! :slight_smile:
I have my music in RF libraries such as Getty Music (former Pump Audio) and some exclusive libraries such as Lab Hits.
Anyway, nowdays I try to rebrand myself as trailer-music artist and want to do some game music aswell since I do not think that djing and performing is not my cup of tea.

1 Like