WELCOME: Start here and Introduce Yourself! =)

Wow that was fast joining Akshay, super glad to have you here. Oh you got into Atom Music, I did not know congratulations, you are on your way to big success! =)

PS. You are allowed to post your music links here in your description, so we all can hear what style you have :slight_smile:

1 Like

Everett here. Iā€™ll listen to everyoneā€™s music, I promise.

Hereā€™s where you can hear a lot of mine:

EverettYoungScoring.com

More about me:

Iā€™m 50, live in Florida, USA. I am a lifelong musician but have drifted in and out of music as I tried (and always failed to stay at it long enough to succeed) at other careers. For example, I have a PhD in political science but never got a tenure-track professor job. Maybe I was too weird a candidate.

I got into composing for the orchestra 3 years ago.

Iā€™m a piano player. I should be way better than I am, and this is one of my great frustrations, but Iā€™m working hard daily on my piano skills and I think Iā€™ll be competent enough to start taking jazz piano gigs by the end of this year. Practicing jazz piano does certainly take away from composing time, but right now both journeys are equally important to me.

I was a pop/rock/soul producer guy for most of my decades in music. I git into mastering 5 years ago and I think I do a great job of that, and still take some mastering jobs, although I donā€™t focus on it anymore. Itā€™s composing and piano playing daily.

As a composer, Iā€™m old-school. John Willians and John Barry are my two biggest influences. I worshiped them both when I was a kid. I still donā€™t know why I didnā€™t pursue film scoring from age 9, but better late than never.

I often do hybrid and synth stuff, but the orchestra alone remains my favorite palette to color with. When writing for orchestra, I always create on piano first. (Well, Kontakt piano, usually the NY Steinway.) I orchestrate later. I started out this way because thatā€™s how my heroes do it, but I think this also yields a different outcome than composing using already loaded soundsā€”not a ā€œbetterā€ outcome, just one that better translates my musical instincts.

Also, I despise Donald Trump but fear he is likely to be re-elected. If he is, I worry for the future of democracy worldwide. I think many Americans who see the truth about Trump suffer from a kind of Trump depression syndrome. I certainly do.

Yes, I am I unafraid to talk politics. Most musicians are pretty close to me ideologically, but I enjoy talking to people who disagree with me about politics, even though nobodyā€™s mind ever changes.

My current musical goals are focused on developing a formidable harmonic vocabulary and getting my orchestrations to shimmer with more and richer layers, more movement. And of course jazz piano.

My career in scoring seems stuck in neutral, but Iā€™m hacking away at it.

2 Likes

It is working ok. I have 71 tracks up and it will not pay my bills right now. Better than streaming on spotify or views on youtube. I expect it to ramp up a lot more going into my second year and improved marketing will help. (Talking to people (marketing and advertising types), improved web design, and just keep the message going). One track will do nothing. It is something I want to do long term.

1 Like

Great to have you join Everett! I would love to get more of an introduction of your background, experience, and goals as a composer etc. Would you mind updating your post? My vision for this community is for us all to get to know each other better, and become one huge composer family! :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s great Brian! =)
Iā€™ll start a specific Pond 5 & Audiojungle thread for this (Your Music Career section), as Iā€™d love to exchange more tips and experiences in this field. :slight_smile:

Hi everyone!

Iā€™m Jonny Armandary, and I run an online academy dedicated to teaching all about film / TV / game / media music composition and production: https://soundtrack.academy/

Itā€™s still in its infancy, but Iā€™m constantly adding new resources.

One area of what I do that is proving very popular is my weekly podcast, where I interview people working in the media music industry and try to get to the bottom of how they do what they do - including how they got started, and their approach to composition.

You can listen here: https://soundtrack.academy/pod/

Looking forward to interacting with you all, and Iā€™d love to know from you:

What aspects of music composition / production would you most like to learn about? Iā€™ll do my best to create some resources on your suggestions!

3 Likes

Hello Jonny, super nice to have you here! =)

I can 100% recommend every composer to visit Jonathanā€™s website which has lots of amazing resources and articles that are in depth and full of insights!

I need to check out your podcast too, not too many podcasts for composers out there.

Thanks Mike! Same goes for your website & YouTube channel!

2 Likes

hi - Andrew here - Iā€™m very possibly one of the oldest members here! I started writing way back around 1982 using a BBC B computer and a UMI 2B sequencer - then I moved to an Atari and Pro24 and then Cubase from v1. I still use Cubase today - now version 10! Iā€™ve had lots of library music published (and used) - first published bt Carlin Music in 1989 - and done several short films - mostly shown at film festivals but had one on a Sky Satellite TV channel.

However Iā€™ve never been able to make a living from music alone - so Iā€™ve always done other thjings alongside. I work as a photographer - but no money in that either nowadays - and I work in professional theatre here in Scotland as a lighting designer and production manager. Iā€™ve been freelance since 1971 making these things work along side each other!

If youā€™d like to listem to a small selection of my music - you can click here:

I look forward to being part of this nice new forum! Thanks - Mike.

3 Likes

Welcome Andrew, wonderful to have you here! :slight_smile:
That is some great experience you have gained. I guess you used quite a lot of analog equipment and instruments as well?

Did not actually know you were from Scotland, seeā€¦that is why a community is so great to have. Patrick Doyle is an amazing composer from Scotland whom I highly respect.

I listened to Retreat from Dunkirkā€¦wow very intense and moody composition! Love the interplay between the underscore pulse, the shrill strings and the dark brass swells.

Thanks - glad you liked ā€˜Dunkirkā€™. My very 1st synth was a Korg MS20 - no midi!. Later I had a DX7, TX7, OSCar, Elka Synthex, Sequential Circuits Six-Trak, Emax, Mirage - and a few others I canā€™t remember! Sadly all gone now - gradually sold off to buy computers and VSTs.

My current equipment list (and some more music) can be found on the website at: www.awpmusic.co.uk

1 Like

Done! Thanks for prodding me.

1 Like

Glad I pushed you a bit, nice introduction now Everett! I truly want everyone in this community to get to know each other more, so it does not simply become another anonymous forum without any human touch. I intend to create as much as a family and friends kind of atmosphere as I can with this community. :slight_smile:

Regarding your piano skills, you are WAY better than me and I have been super impressed by the pieces I heard from you where piano takes first seat. That Williams-influenced piece you did the other week on one my composing challenges was incredible. It is an honor to have you part of this community, and I hope you will stick around (bookmark the forum in your web browser) :wink:

I have no fear of sharing my opinions either, however I will ban people who express opinions in any disrespectful way. You acted exemplary just now, but Iā€™m afraid that is not at all the norm on the Internet. There is a ā€œGeneral Discussionsā€ section where you can discuss any type of field: politics, philosophy, moviesā€¦Anything goes, as long as you are nice and respectful to all that opposes your view. Being civil and decent to all people is something I want to become the norm in the world in general! =)

I doubt Iā€™ll bring up politics here, but this is an international community, and these days itā€™s important to me that non-Americans know I stand completely against the American President. He is an embarrassment to my country and his mean-spiritedness does not represent me.

Trump has, unfortunately, made it so that I feel I must make that clear to my international friends.

2 Likes

Also, your words about my work made my morning Mike, thank you a million times.

1 Like

Hello everyone.

Hello I am Luis AdriƔn Parra from Mexico, although my pseudonym is Luis Humanoide.

I like to compose music in my free time. Iā€™m not a professional in music, and I donā€™t have any training in that either, in fact Iā€™m currently studying computer science; I hope one day to unite the knowledge of those two areas to create useful tools for music.

I am happy with the fact that the music that sounds in my head I can transform into music that others can hear, I like to imagine fantastic adventures and places and in that I imagine the music of each scene.

1 Like

Awesome! My friend Luis is in the house! I love your Star Wars influenced compositions, they are incredibly well made! :sunglasses:

1 Like

ALOHA! My name is Gerald! I live in the US. I aspire to be a video game composer/ sound designer. Iā€™m with ComposerEverett btw in regards to Trump lol I do not stand behind him at all. I apologize on behalf of all US citizens lol ANYWAY!

I cant wait to share, collaborate, learn, and make some amazing music with everyone here! Thanks for having me.

Feel free to check out my work on Youtube! Iā€™m currently working on a website for a more professional approach lol I have all my latest compositions here. Criticism, tips, questions, hate mail, is ALL WELCOME!

www.youtube.com/farthestempiresoundworks

2 Likes

Welcome Gerald, super happy to have you here! =)
Yes I think you should get a website up and running, it really makes a difference as it will be your digital business card, and portfolio.

Btw, if you have any questions on Wordpress and website building, make a post in the Music Career section on the forum. =)

Hi everybody! My name is Fran. I am an aspiring musician/songwriter for cinema, tv, video games,ā€¦ My friend and partner Miguel and I formed FractalMusic. For a couple of years we have been dedicated to learn through courses and especially from colleagues everything we could: composition, production, marketing, and so on. About this industry.
I hope to continue learning here and have the opportunity to show our work and help as much as possible by sharing experience and knowledge.
Thank you Mikael for having me in this group.

1 Like