WELCOME: Start here and Introduce Yourself! =)

Welcome Giovanni, great having you in the community! :slight_smile:
Your website/blog is a really great resource and place of inspiration and insights for media composers. I will check out your podcast too. Where will you publish those online classes about film scoring?

Sincerely,
Mike

1 Like

Hello Mike,
My name is Patrice. I live in France. Being an old individual, I am retired. So I have plenty of time to spend on my forever passion: music.
First, I want to thank you for all your videos. It helped me so much. I bought the software you made me discover and it greatly expands my Logic X, as well as all the teaching you do in your Youtube videos. I watched I think all of them. What I like:

• blues
  • classical music
  • jazz
  • Rock
  • country rock
    Let the music play!
3 Likes

Thanks for having me Mike and thanks for your kind words!!

Iā€™ll publish them on Skillshare. This first series is focused on"Reinforcing your filmā€™s narrative with music", the first one (Physical Functions) is up already. The second one (Psychological Functions) is coming up soon. And Iā€™ll conclude the series with Technical functions before moving to the next area.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome Patrice, great to have you here! :slight_smile:
Iā€™m glad my videos have helped you, and thank you for your kind words.

Please jump into the discussions, ask questions yourself, and connect with fellow composers and artists in here.

PS. Do consider bookmarking this community website in your web browser to remember to come back. :slight_smile:

Ah, so not publishing them also on Udemy then? I prefer Udemy over Skillshare myself. :slight_smile:

I started on Skillshare as it seems less of a commitment for users, with the one fee for all the courses philosophy. However I am very interested to expanding the scope to other platforms. Iā€™d love to know more about Udemy, why do you like it better? And can you have the same course on both platforms?

Yes they are both non-exclusive platforms. So you can have the same courses up on both marketplaces. I find Udemy better because the platform is more developed, they have also better communication with instructors (in their community) and seem to move forward with development much faster than Skillshare.

1 Like

Awesome, Iā€™ll definitely look into expanding to both then. Thanks for the tip, great to have someone with lots of experience I can ask advices to!

Hiya,

Just saying hello as you do. Iā€™m Lawrence Moseley. Iā€™m probably more of a guitarist now - seem to ebb and flow between that, keyboards and long ago gig bass work. DAW of preference is Pro Tools. Found I also have Ableton and had no idea. Must try that out some time.

I like to write, record and occasionally release something into the wild. My latest musings / ravings can be accessed (free on Spotify) here https://xsparadigm.hearnow.com/.

The vocal is not mineā€¦ you wonā€™t hear that. Itā€™s the unfashionable semi prog rock - a few instrumentals to alleviate the lyrical concerns.

I like a lot of styles and recently immersed myself in EDM (proper formatting and all that) as well as classical phrasing (Tchaikovsky!), electronic and even some pop tunes - but not fashionable ones. Hate to say it but modern pop sounds so wimpy to me. Makes the Spice Girls sound like Metallica. So more ideas to remain on a hard drive forever.

Have degree in composition and arrangement and like to pretend I know what Iā€™m doing or at least how to correct things when things get complicated.

Thanks to Mikael for all his work for this new community and the Facebook origins. Is this the beginning of the end of social media? I do like a good conspiracy. And a film of itā€¦

Cheers

Lawrence

2 Likes

Welcome Lawrence, Iā€™m so glad to see you decided to join this community for composers of all styles and all experience levels. ā€œThe Fellowship of Composersā€ as I like to call it. :slight_smile:

EDM, classical, guitarist, bassā€¦you seem to have a diverse range of both experience, skill and taste. I do too, but I have to personally agree on modern pop lacking in expressive range. God I miss the good old Michael Jackson king of pop. Or even better, when Rock was considered pop (Queen, Scorpions etc.). :slight_smile:

Degree in composition, eh? Congratulations! Personally, I never went academic like that. I just buried my face in books, and my fingers on all kinds of synthesizers and technology gear/software.

Yes, the main reason I founded this new forum is that I have started to get fed up with Social Media, and Facebook in particular. It seems it brings out the most lazy side in people. Thin and shallow content, ā€œme, me, meā€-centric attitude, and even though it includes the word ā€œsocialā€ I find it generally lacks in real connection.

Here you will find topics clearly organized in categories, no toxic arguments, no trolls/spam, and no annoying random feed full of distractions. In fact, Facebook is insanely distracting and addictive, while providing very little value and real connection I would say.

So please, do consider bookmarking this new forum website instead, and I am looking forward to have you engage in the community. Oh, and please invite other composers you know. :slight_smile:

Sincerely,
Mike

1 Like

Hi Mike,

The siteā€™s been bookmarked. The first thing I did actually.

Social media is in itā€™s way interesting. To me itā€™s an electronic mirror showing the world as individuals and as groups for being exactly what they are. Very useful. Whatever you think about anyoneā€™s contribution content most do not seem to lie. There are notable and prominent exceptions but we ordinaries now have a public voice. This site maybe an example of the innovation as the social media world will change and tribalism will be a more defining characteristic.

Glad I did the academic thing, a long while back now. Sort of formalized all the books I consumed (the old analogue versions).

'When rock was popā€¦ Now I tend to view Under Pressure in the same regards as Tchaikovskyā€™s First Piano Concerto. What a piece of writing. The Scorpions were terrific - loads of melodies in there.
I find the pop now is missing an opportunity to be dynamic.

I do notice when I watch films (quite a bit) how the music is fantastic. I used to be a non hip hop fan but the music used in that Vin Diesel series Fast and Furious is so superior to most others. I was most surprised - I want to like the music not dislike it. Putting the vocal in the right place and not doing the same thing as a bass line makes all the difference. Some epic stuff.

Anyway, cheers, thanks and speak soon

rock on

Lawrence

1 Like

Hello Mike and all others,

My name is Mia and I am from Czech Republic.
For years Iā€™ve been composing mostly sad, melancholic piano music as Iā€™d taken a piano lessons since 5yo. Only a year ago I have bought some libraries and started playing with orchestra instruments in Cubase, mostly doing cinematic music, which is my great weakness. I am not a professional musician, it is my passion though. I work as a software tester by day and I do some composing by night :slight_smile:

I have not much experience in this area, I just try to create stuff how I like themā€¦ so I hope that even with that I qualify to be a member of this community :slight_smile: Listening to your music and some music from the others, I see I have so much to learn.

I do have some music on soundcloud, it always screws up the quality tho :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hello and welcome Mia, super happy to have you join the community, we definitely need more women in music composition! :slight_smile:

Of course you are qualified, and Iā€™m sure many of use would be jealous of your piano skills and experience from playing the piano since 5yo.

This community is open to all aspiring and professional composers, as long as you have high goals and ambitions for your music. So please invite other composers you know! :smiley:

I listened to the first track ā€œSharpshooterā€, very nice drive and energy. I would recommend using some more variation in the ostinato patterns and rhythms. But overall this is a really cool composition. :slight_smile:

PS. Please consider bookmarking this community website, join the discussions and ask questions in the various categories/sections.

Sincerely,
Mike

1 Like

Thanks for the nice welcoming! :blush: And yes indeed, we do need more women, Iā€™m wondering why there is so little of us in all history :thinking: I mean, I get it somewhat historically, but now Iā€™d expect more of girls in world of composing. But thatā€™s maybe a topic for some discussion :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated and Iā€™ll take you advice to my heart :slight_smile: I can see what you mean now when you named it. Hehe.

PS. Invited a few and bookmarked!)

1 Like

We are delighted to have you, and please invite more female composers (I mean it). I had more women present in classes on computer science in university than I come across in music compositionā€¦it is so strange =/

Also, there is a composition contest right now during September, I would love to have you joinā€¦check it out here: Epic Trailer Music Contest

I would love to invite some girls, but the problem is I donā€™t know any :smile: and same here, I have plenty of female colleagues in our IT department and never met a girl who was much into composing. They do mostly singing or piano, guitarā€¦etc :slight_smile:

And yes, I would love to join the contest! Excellent motivation do something new :blush: that contest is actually how I came across this forum:)

1 Like

You know, this is so important. I will create a new thread on this because I also want to learn about more female composers. We all need to see that there are successful female composers in the industry, especially for women to get role models that inspire and motivate! :slight_smile:

PS. Super happy to hear that you will join the contest, any submission is a WIN for everyone as we all get to do music and evolve our skills and craft in the process! :wink:

1 Like

Hi everyone!

My name is Romain, I am a french composer that have been living in Australia for the last 4 years (ish). I started producing and composing electronic ambiant music since 2016, finished my bachelor in 2018, and I am now embracing the world of film music and combining my atmospheric sounds with orchestral music, in which I grew a deep appreciation for. I love music as a whole, and listen to classical, house, electronica, experimental, in brief - a little bit of everything.

I am now trying to grow my business and brand as a composer, gain more experience in studios and everything tech, find projects, meet people, learn more about the craft, and most of all, enjoying life and the music thatā€™s around us :slight_smile:

If you wish to listen to my music hereā€™s my Soundcloud and Spotify:

Thanks all, canā€™t wait to meet everyone and be apart of this awesome community!

Romain

1 Like

Hello Romain, and welcome, super nice to have you join the community! :slight_smile:
Great to hear that you ā€œlike a bit of everythingā€. I believe as composers we should embrace as many genres and styles as possible to evolve our craft. But also, the world of music becomes so much bigger of you are open to it! :smiley:

PS. Please consider bookmarking this community website, and also invite any fellow composers you know.

Sincerely,
Mikael ā€œMikeā€ Baggstrƶm
Founder of this Community

Couldnā€™t agree more with you Mikael! Would be silly to just close ourself to one type of music :slight_smile:

And yep bookmark done! Hehe Thanks!

1 Like