WELCOME: Start here and Introduce Yourself! =)

What was that? Introduce myself? No away!

Oh, ok then - 1812, a.k.a 1812 Music, a.k.a Paul! Not as young as most of the contributors here I’m sure…but also not as old as some. :slight_smile:

I just like making music. Being doing it for years and years and YEARS but only the last 12 months really using modern software and techniques. I’ve made some OK stuff and it’s out there on various platforms, but my final mix and master is a bit iffy at best. All about learning.

So, “HI!!!”

Spotify
iTunes

Hi, I’m Fran. I studied music performance; saxophone & flute a long time ago. I teach woodwinds; saxophone, flute, clarinet & oboe privately and work as a player when I can. My background is jazz & legit training. Most of my work now is in the blues & rock.
My best day job ever was b.c. (before children) with an independent film company in NY. I was in accounting/finance but had access to a lot of films and developed an interest in writing for film.
I finally bought a MacBook Pro last Sept and have been trying to write something every day.

I’m trying not to waste too much time here: https://www.facebook.com/fran.luke.14

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Mark and the community
I’m Fabrizio from Italy living in China. I compose and record at home music, ballads a songwriters ideas. I’ve been following Mark Channel for few months now, found it always useful and interesting. Great to be here!

1 Like

Welcome Paul, haha yeah we all like making music in here! :wink:
I listened to your “Brass Knuckles” on Spotify. Really cool, nice and deep Drum & Bass beat! Great to see that you are so active publishing on Spotify, which distributor do you use?

PS. Would you mind changing your name in your profile (at least your first name “Paul”). As I like to address people by name when I reply, and I founded this community on transparency. :slight_smile:

Hello Fran, and a warm welcome to the community! :slight_smile:
Oh how wonderful, woodwinds are becoming far too forgotten in modern scores. I love them, so intimate and beautiful!

What are your goals as a composer now? Writing as an artist mainly or will you try to get some paid work in the future?

Sincerely,
Mike

Hello and welcome Fabrizio, very nice to have you join the community! :slight_smile:
That’s interesting, why did you decide to move to China?

Sincerely,
Mike

Thanks for the comments on Brass Knuckles - as I said, my final mixes have been a bit poor as I’ve only recently learned a very simple and valuable lesson…and that is to audition your music on as many ‘real world’ devices as possible before releasing. Just because something sounds good on my monitors, does not mean it sounds good on Earbuds or a car stereo!

For Brass Knuckles, I distributed using TuneCore as I like to try out a few services and see which one is best. For other tracks, I have used DistroKid (poor user interface - the web portal sucks, but solid distribution), United Masters, Symphonic, Spinnup, Level and Amuse. I have used Amuse the most - 7 tracks - as I like their mobile app…

Anyway, I could write a whole blog post on my distribution research but hopefully that answers your question. :slight_smile:

PS - Name updated. Let me know if you’d like me to change anything else. :+1:

1 Like

Hello everyone!

I’m David Olofson, from Sweden, 44 years old, and I’ve been playing around with sound, music and related stuff since… before I can remember, pretty much.

Started out with actual music with MOD trackers on the Amiga, then got into hardware synths, and eventually, DAWs with audio recording, started doing a bit of vocals, and got to the point of getting the occasional songwriting collaboration request - but somewhere around there, I pretty much dropped music, for various reasons.

For about two decades, I just played around with game development, audio/synth engines, got involved a bit with Linux audio (LADSPA, JACK and all that), did a bit of vocal recording and editing etc, but didn’t write/compose anything, apart from some experimental stuff using my engines.

About three years ago, I decided to start building a new DAW and studio, then got into virtual orchestration, did research, joined workshops, started collecting sample libraries, and started participated in competitions and challenges. Along the way, I also started playing the violin, and just recently, the cello. (The dangers of research…)

And… This playlist pretty much sums up the last year and a half:

I also participated in RPM Challenge 2019:

4 Likes

Hello Mike,

Thanks for putting this forum together.

I’ve wanted to write orchestral music for a while. I have the tools now to do that. I used to be good at 4 part writing, but it looks like I’ve forgotten a good deal.

I would like to get paid, but understand I don’t live in NY anymore and am not in a position to take on an internship. I’ve finished a couple of orchestral pieces and thought perhaps I can get my son’s school to read them when he gets to high school.

One of my goals is to write some things for saxophone and string ensemble (quartet?). So far, when I sit down to write, I hear orchestral music, so I’m going with that for now.

I’ve recording a modern jazz CD on soprano & EWI and an ambient EP on c-melody (because why not). When I can afford to have them mastered & duplicated, I don’t expect to make a lot of money but establish a digital presence.

I had an opportunity to pitch for an independent film last winter. Content aside, I think it would be difficult to hire an unknown without some examples online.

Thanks again. Be well

Fran

1 Like

Ah, I have read the article from Ari’s Take comparing different music distribution services. I’m sure you have seen it if you’ve done some research yourself.

But I always love to hear The experience from the people using the services directly, such as yourself.

I will make and you topic where we can share our experiences, and give some tips on the various distribution services.

1 Like

Making music is its own reward I guess, and I do believe that to a certain degree.

However, I also think it’s a bit sad that instrumental music (in all styles) is generally impossible to make money from as an artist by making albums. I would love to just write music with complete artistic freedom.

2 Likes

Welcome David, super glad to have you in the community. I share the same kind of experience as you do (Tracker software to make music with haha). Also lots of 90s-electronica.

Really cool that you started learning violin/cello now, I would love to hear you use your skills in a composition! :smiley:

Sincerely,
Mike

1 Like

Thank you!

Well, that’s the idea in the long run, though these instruments have a very steep learning curve. (The price of control and expression, pretty much…) I usually say “any year now” - but progress has been quicker than I expected, especially on the cello. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting how a few of us older guys who used to mess around with back in the Amiga/ST days, are getting back into this stuff again. It never really leaves you - just ‘life’ can get in the way and finding the time is tougher. So once we hit a certain age and money is a little less tight and time is a little less tight, we can pick things back up and be creating again without a massive learning curve. :+1:

2 Likes

You never get old when it comes to music or art. :smiley:

But I do understand what you mean in this case.

1 Like

Mike - which is the best board to ask for some opinions/thoughts/tips/suggestions on final mix/mastering?

Wanted to post a link to my (potential) new track on Soundcloud and get peoples’ thoughts as I am struggling like mad with final mix. Head is ready to SPOLDE! Ha ha.

Paul

Here’s the “Your Music” section:
https://forum.professionalcomposers.com/c/introduction/music

This is a dedicated section to share music compositions, as long as everyone follows the rules to make sure we all help each other as best we can (even in the way we post our tracks) :slightly_smiling_face:

PS. You might want to add specifics on what aspects you are “unsure about”. :wink:

1 Like

Hi guy and gals,
Well this will be short, not a very long Intro :wink: at this time since I am so new but very much want to learn
I in my early 50’s had to move from CA to Utah not my first choice but due to the cost of living that’s, that
I love music and I am learning to play some guitar and use midi keyboard just basic chords within Logic

My Very Short Knowledge Of Logic:thinking:

I know some of the basic of Logic Pro X like :
1.Set up an audio track, software instrument track, drummer track, basic stuff
2.Record my Guitar and midi Keyboard

But need to learn more I hope others may help as well

My Main Goals At The Moment:sunglasses:

Would really like to create ideas using Voice Leading want to learn this method as well
Probably start learning how to create two-note chord voicings and really nail that down then 3 note,4 note etc…
Because I really like the idea of how to create chord changes and melodic ideas as smoothly as possible

But have a lot of musical gaps in my learning that I am hoping others will help me along the way.

God Bless

1 Like

Hello and welcome Brian, we are all on a journey here with different goals, skills and experiences in music. :slight_smile:

I think you are spot on with learning voice leading (and chords and harmony). I would even recommend you broaden this goal to truly learning the fundamentals of music theory if you feel you don’t have a good grasp of how it is all related.

But my best advice is, just make music. The more you create the better you get, as with any field you try to master. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Mike, hi everyone!

Thanks for this community. I have been a composer since 1981, as a University student and I went pro in 1988. I have been active in many areas of composition but really made my living with commercials until the early 2000s when I had to leave my country and moved to the UK. I teach music for the screen now at a university in England and I keep freelancing in my spare time. Throughout the years I have written music for a few indie films and documentaries in The Americas, but now I am beginning to write production (library) music. I am constantly learning and this is why I am here! :grinning:
I have used Logic since v2 in the early 90s, but also started with Performer in 1986 with v1, and I also used Vision for a few years. My first sampler was the s900. That ought to tell you something! Haha!
My current reel on my website https://descrivan.net is focused at commercials but I am currently signed up with Sencit Music in L.A. for film trailer music, none of which I can share online! (Unless you are a music supervisor and contact them).
I have also written a couple of academic books and a few articles on music/sound on film… but I’m more interested in writing music.
I am looking forward to learning from you all and being of help if I am able to!
Happy composing,
Julio

3 Likes