WELCOME: Start here and Introduce Yourself! =)

Hi Michael,
The Alias comes from a time when I was performing more & a lot of folks saw the guy on stage in the Bars as the extraverted performer that they wanted me to be. In truth I’m quite introverted. I know it’s strange for someone who grew up performing to be so shy, but it’s just who I am. Before I changed my name I was being inundated with friend requests from a ton of people I didn’t know, I didn’t want to offend anyone by not accepting requests especially if they were fans of my music…To this day I have more pending requests than I have friends…I feel like saying that makes me sound pretentious…Juan Salsh is a play on names that my Mexican friends use to call me in school.

1 Like

Thanks Mike…
I cant imagine your workload running this site…
Hope you have good help, because im sure its going to go gangbusters !
I for one will fly the flag and recommend your “baby” to all my friend composers…
Oh yeah, and dont forget, theres always a Cold Beer in the the fridge with your name on it…And best of all, the fridge in studio… Such 1st world problems…
:wink:

2 Likes

Lol fridge in studio, man that made me picture my dream “man cave studio” in the cellar of my future house I will get some day haha. Preferably with a high end home cinema system at the other end of the same room! :wink:

I like 1st world problems, much more fun than any other problem. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thanks Sean. I really appreciate you taking the time to have a listen.
The reason we all write music!

2 Likes

hello all composer
i am a novice composer from France, i am studying music in a conservatory of music mainly orchestration, composition and harmonisation
i have a youtube channel, and soundcloud webpage where i post all my composition and work for picture and movie or trailler
i glad to join your forum
thanks

2 Likes

Welcome Ainardi, great to have you here! :slight_smile:
Please also post a link to your music here in your introduction, so we can hear your “personality” as a composer.

Sincerely,
Mike

1 Like

hello,
thanks Mikael
here is some composition on my soundcloud webpage

and here is one of my last work on video

there is many more video on ly channel
thanks for watching and listening
you can send me your feedback, it will help in the future for my next composition or work

greeting to all

1 Like

Hello Everett -

Nice website of yours, and great music, thank you for sharing!

Being an IT guy and having started last year creating music, I am new to this industry. For now, I am looking at it as a hobby, but, of course, I would like to learn what it takes to create substantial income.

Would you share your experiences around marketing and selling your work, i.e. with libraries, TAXI, streaming, direct sales etc.: What would you advise newbees, if at all?

Another question: While you have nice website, I was not able to play more than „Demo #1“ and „Front Lines“. For whatever reason, playback stopped after those titles and I could not get it to resume. Is there any other site where I could listen to your work?

Thank you,

Regards,
Peter

1 Like

Strange, I’ve not had that problem with my website, except if listening on a mobile device and the device goes to sleep, the music will not keep playing in the background.

Maybe try a laptop or desktop? But I’d also be happy to link you to a ReelCrafter reel.

Thanks so much for the compliments.

My experiences with marketing myself have been almost total rejection. It’s very difficult to get anyone to work with me, and half the short films I’ve gotten on have let me go after I composed music for them. If I were so inclined, I might conclude I’m just not that good! Nobody has ever paid me a dime to compose music, and I’ve definitely tried!

I’ve submitted to over a dozen libraries—total rejection. I just got considered for a feature, but was rejected after demoing a scene for them.

It’s been rough going, but I still believe I am good at this. Maybe I’m a little different from the expected, from the modern norm, but I think I’ll eventually find a handful of directors who resonate with my work. I just think there’s something about my work that’s off-putting to most people, but I haven’t been able to put my finger on it or scrub it out of my work.

1 Like

Hello Everett -

New day, now everything looks fine. It now keeps playing in the background. I did see an error message yesterday, but did not take a screenshot. It was something stating “squarespace resource not available”. Perhaps a temporary issue due to night time (your time zones) maintenance work at the server side.

Anyhow, working now, so we can forget about it.

Thanks for your detailed and open statements. Sounds not really encouraging, but I guess we share the notion that we are mainly creating for ourselves. From my (non-professional) perspective, your works show a high and professional skill level of yours. Comparing yours with other titles I ran across, I do not see anything missing (or over-done). So, I guess, your healthy attitude is right, and somehow, there just was no match between your offering and the market.

I did learn, though, that, at least for commercial productions, supervisors would not spend much time on internet research but rather turn to sources they know and trust. That is where libraries have their role, and there seems to be quite a large number of them.

From YT videos I got a decent impression of TAXI.com. They are an A&R subscription based service for independent creators. Before spending on their subscription, you might want to check out their YT channel. Among other things, they publish a lot of interview videos (“TAXI TV”). From the ones I have watched so far, I gathered that also for subscribers, it might take years to get traction.

But, one also learns about the market segments requesting audio creations of different kinds. Perhaps this could be a slant to your current approach and allow you to fish in new waters.

For now, I am only watching and considering a subscription once I have reached a suitable creative and production level.

They do also have an annual event where one can take sessions on various topics and get in touch with interesting people in the industry. For you, travel would be much less of an issue than for me.

So much for my two cents, keep it up and good luck!

3 Likes

Hello everyone. My name is Navid Lancaster from Trinidad and Tobago (in the Caribbean). I compose the emotions for award-winning films, video games, mobile applications and animation.

Looking forward to meeting you all online :+1::+1:

You can see some of my links here:
Company website
Soundcloud

2 Likes

Hello and welcome Navid, great having you here! :slight_smile:

I checked out your website, and I see you offer a range of services. Probably the best way to go to make it in this industry.

Sincerely,
Mike

1 Like

Hello my name is emanuel iam a novice composer of Argentina. I share a theme of mine that I think is the best I have and I hope you like it (epic music)

2 Likes

Hi @Mikael thank you so much for checking out the website. Really appreciate it.

Yes my company offers a range of services and most are created in-house. I have been fortunate to have been in various aspects of the music industry since 1992 and have made some very happy and consistent clients.

Looking forward to being an active member in this forum.

Best regards,
Navid

2 Likes

Hello,
My name is Chas and I am a retired sound technician for the Motion Picture Industry in CA.
I have a degree in music and have played since I was very young. I have been involved in music all my life and, at times, I have made a living accompanying, composing and producing and teaching.
I have used many DAWs such as: ProTools, Cubase, Digital Performer, Reason and Logic.
Love the sounds on Reason. Love the workflow and interface on Logic X.
My focus is Cinematic Music.

2 Likes

Welcome Emanuel to this amazing community for composers! =)
I love epic music hehe :wink:

Cool track, I like the choirs very much, and it has a high tension vibe with really a sense something evil is coming. Great job! :slight_smile:

Please do join in the discussions and topics of this forum, ask questions, and connect with fellow composers. You will make friends, and also good for connections and networking with lots of opportunities! :smiley:

1 Like

Pleased to meet you Charles, and a warm welcome to the community! :slight_smile:
I have also used many different DAWs over the years, and I find it especially nice to see that you share the love of both Reason and Logic as I do. I’m sure that you are very excited about the recent news of Reason 11 and the new Reason Rack Plugin then?

PS. My focus is cinematic music too. :wink:

1 Like

My name is John, I am 67 and live in the UK. I have been using Logic ever since Apple introduced it. I am sure that like many other people I am always amazed at the different things you can do in Logic, and basically you never stop learning.

I try and compose songs, mainly instrumental as I don’t sing very well.

I have joined this site through watching one of the videos about MIDI editing, which I found very useful.

Thank You

John

2 Likes

Hello John, pleased to meet you in here, and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:
Indeed, it is a wonder how much you can do in Logic (or any other DAW) these days.

Sincerely,
Mike

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name is Giovanni Rotondo, I have composed scores for several feature films and TV films around the globe. You can hear some of it on my homepage: https://www.giovannirotondo.com

I am also editor in chief of the blog Film Scoring Tips (http://filmscoringtips.com); have recently started a podcast series called Filmmakers Feedback, and am launching a series of online classes about film scoring.

Looking forward to interact with the member of this beautiful community!

2 Likes