VOTE: What Soundtrack Theme would you like Cover?

Oh yes, Harry Potter has some amazing themes, and that one is a personal favorite of mine in the entire series. Great suggestions! :smiley:

2 Likes

With those long sweeping passages from the violins and celeste in Hedwig’s theme, that would b a real challenge to rearrange!

2 Likes

It’s very good practice, cool, it’s kind of like doing a mock-up, which is requested a lot of times. Maybe it doesn’t have to be so exact but your own version with the cover?

2 Likes

Mission Impossible, definitely!

1 Like

Yes, I agree, the cover contest will still leave lots of “artistic freedom” for everyone to put their own style and sound on their entry. However, some composers perhaps might want to go all in on nailing the exact sound, which is fine too! :slight_smile:

It’s a truly an iconic theme Francisco! :slight_smile:
Did you vote on your 3 favorites in the poll?

How about also Gladiator or the Joker for a future one?

1 Like

Oh Gladiator theme is awesome, both bombastic, noble and beauty in the same cue! :smiley:

1 Like

Joker is, like Alien, very very focused on dissonance. Not sure if the main theme is “iconic” = memorable enough?

I know some who didn’t like Joker at all like you said, I liked it myself a lot I think it enhanced the quality of the movie but I think it is a hard score to hear on its own without picture as a soundtrack, is very dependent on the picture and most of it sounds in the same tone and mood.

1 Like

I think a requirement for this and future cover contests will be that the theme should be instantly recognizable when played solo on piano. :slight_smile:

Not because I disliked the Joker soundtrack, and I actually loved the Chernobyl series soundtrack which is in the same aleatoric/dissonant flavor. However, to cover something I feel you have to make it recognizable to everyone what you actually do a cover of. Otherwise it becomes more similar to the previous music contests that were focused on “style/mood”, and not a specific Main Theme from a Soundtrack. :slight_smile:

1 Like

But please make more suggestions, I feel like there are so many iconic themes in movies and video games that could work great for a future cover contest! :smiley:

That makes sense, ya something you can easily play or translate to piano. So Gladiator, Braveheart and Beauty and the Beast because I cant think of anything else.I don’t think I can cover any of these but I will try.

2 Likes

I think all of us, including myself, are a bit “scared” by the thought of covering one of these masters and great themes! But as myself and @Geoffers mentioned above, this is by far the best way to improve as a composer in our opinion. It forces you to truly listen and analyze masterfully crafted music compositions/productions from all perspectives. And listening, I mean reeeeally listening, is more important than most people realize. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Makes sense, just need to find a way to not get distracted by our neighbor who vacuums every 15 mins during quarantine. I will wait to see which vote wins I guess.

1 Like

Lol, someone believe dust contains the virus? :stuck_out_tongue:

haha, and it’s only a 600 sqft condo. they haven’t announced that as scientific yet, so I guess no. Also, across the street there’s a big building complex and every night around 1 am when we’re all in deep sleep the same car alarm goes off, unfortunately we’re all home so we have no way not to hear it. :joy:

1 Like

No worries, all you need to do is to buy an old world war underground bunker and build a studio in it! :wink:

1 Like

@Mikael will we all cover the same soundtrack? or is it like pick any of these Originals and Cover it…?

The winner of this poll will be the theme to cover in the contest. :slight_smile:
Then the fun part will be to listen to everyone’s cover/version of the same theme, and get information of instruments/sounds included, creative vision and insights into each composition. :smiley:

1 Like