Your Health as a Composer

Just realized that there was a topic that was not discussed on this website (as yet :slight_smile: ) and that is our health.

We as composers are under a lot of stress due to external (or self-imposed) timelines to complete work, sitting in one position for hours on end in sometimes non-ergonomic seats, lack of proper sleep and a myriad of other factors that may affect our performance and overall health.

So I’ll start the discussion: What do we do everyday to improve our overall health as we continue to do the thing we love?

5 Likes

Great topic, for me health is both physical and mental. I go out for a walk in nature (as close to nature I can get at least) for 30 min every day! :slight_smile:

I also take a lot of short breaks, making sure I never sit more than 60min without taking a break. Walking around, stretching a bit, having a snack, and re-setting my focus by “not doing anything” for a while. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Great suggestions :+1::+1: I’ve also found that getting up and walking around (to combat thrombosis - the same condition that can affect you on long distance flights) gives you much more endurance. I’ve also started weight training a few months ago. Got to get my back muscles strong so I won’t slouch so much while I’m working. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haha, well I have an advantage: I can not sit still for long sessions. Got a bit of “physical ADHD” or something. So it comes natural for me to just get up every now and then and walk around.

I am also planning to some day in the future re-make my studio setup from the centre-point of a standing desk.

3 Likes

if you are not in good situation ( health, relation ship, familly,…) it will be very hard to have clear idea to compose

4 Likes

Very true. That is why it is VERY IMPORTANT to have some form of stability. Even if a person is not in a relationship and/or have close family members taking care of yourself (not only to do your job but for your overall well-being) is of high priority.

2 Likes

If you’re into that kinda thing head to the gym. In the morning for a few hours wakes you up nicely, also have a fun hobby like martial or something to keep your physical exercise up.

3 Likes

I wake up at 5am everyday and go to my jiujitsu academy. We work out, run through drills and techniques, and then roll/spar with each other. Its a great way to wake up, relieve stress, and learn something new. I like jiujitsu a lot because you can relate it to real life stuff. It forces you to think outside the box to achieve a goal sometimes. Its drasticslly helped me through writers block lol

3 Likes

Meditation really helped me, as well as short walks around the day :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t : smoke, drink take drugs, read news and listening to Russian music. Very good for my health.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
I am in my very early 50’s and I have something called migraine vertigo so move around a lot is hard to do something losing weight is very difficult

So What I Do
I have a app called Keep Focus that I set to go off every 30mins

Then I try to stretch and do squats and calve raises and use stretch bands
And hardest thing I do to keep my core and my lower back from hurt is do different planks and yes this makes me very dizzy
But it needs to be done

For my neck I do isometric exercise
To strengthen my inner neck muscles

I keep trying to work my way back to the gym we have a small one here in our apartment complex in the main office
just not their yet but I keep working towards it

2 Likes

The back exercises, for me, are very, VERY important. I’m 6 feet 4 so slouching can be a tendency.

1 Like

Yes I so much understand back is BIG and I am 6.1 and 40 lbs over weight which I am trying to lose

1 Like

Sometimes effective ways to maintain a good health are very simple…

https://www.onlinemeditation.org/meditation-room/

3 Likes

I agree, and also simplifying things in your life overall I find good for reducing stress. :blush:

2 Likes

Well, my fingers may have a few things to say about the cello after a few months of intense practice, but other than that, even finishing an album in one month is like a spa vacation, compared to the long term effects of my current career. The negative stress has worn me down to a point where I can barely do anything useful in my spare time, and I need to get out.

Sorry about the dark turn, but let that be a warning to you: Start your career change before you’re too weak to think straight.

3 Likes

I hope you figure things out, and can take actions to move towards something that gives you energy instead of draining it.

3 Likes

This technique works really well when we feel overworked…

https://www.meetup.com/it-IT/FreeMeditationQC/pages/19610556/Ice_Treatment/?name=Ice_Treatment&id=19610556&chapter_analytics_code=UA-67228334-1

1 Like

I fight lethargic daily due to my mental illness it’s feeling like you’re very slushy and your mind and body are like moving slowly through molasses is very difficult

Been on medication for my mental illnesses which doesn’t probably help so anybody have any advice on what others have done
I thought about start taking amino acids
I been to the doctors and they say my blood and etc… all good

1 Like

For lethargy try this treatment, you’ll be amazed of the results in few days.

and also this:

1 Like