What instruments can you play?

I’m clarinet professor in Conservatorium. Obviously I play it. But my generation has grown up with rock music…so I can play flute, guitar, sax, piano. There is something here

5 Likes

Yeah, the expression is a huge part of why these instruments have always fascinated me. They’re basically acoustic synthesizers with very intuitive (if unforgiving) controls. :smiley: Somewhat ironically, finally being able to do classical style arrangements in the box is what tipped me over the edge.

3 Likes

I am also a huge fan of expressive instruments (which does not have to be acoustic imho, but it is still hard to beat bowed strings). Have you ever tried the Roli Seaboard to play super expressive electronic sounds? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One nice trick is to combine tuning and transposition so that you get layers without phasing issues caused by playing multiple instances of the exact same samples. Most decent sample libraries will have recordings for every single semitone in the scale. By transposing one or two semitones up or down, and changing the tuning in the opposite direction, you basically get multiple unique versions of the library, that you can layer without artifacts.

Note that some sample libraries use “neighboring note round-robin,” which essentially does the same thing as this trick, so you may have to disable that, to avoid it causing accidental phasing issues.

Also, chorus effects might help to beef things up, but in my experience, it’s hard to do that without it sounding like… well, a synthetic chorus effect, rather than an actual group of instruments.

2 Likes

No Seaboard, unfortunately, but it’s certainly on the wish list! Breath controllers are nice, though, and I’ve had some great fun programming synth sounds specifically for keyboard + breath controller. Basically, replace the envelope with breath, and then use breath to control amplitude directly, for swells, tremolo, tongue techniques etc. Unlike pedals, wheels and the like, you can actually play proper envelopes live that way, so there’s no need for programmed envelopes in the sounds.

I should play around more with that, but I just haven’t found the right context for these… “uncanny valley” synth sounds. :smiley:

3 Likes

Oh, “replace envelope with breath”, that sounds super interesting. I’ve never tried that on a synth, but now I will for sure! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Well, you don’t have envelope generators in a saxophone, now do you? :wink: It “should” work, technically - but I was still a bit surprised with how natural and musical it turned out to be.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing that video Michael. Do you leave your quantize setting on smart quantize or do you switch back & forth per situation?

1 Like

Depending on what I quantize. But yeah I leave it based on track. For percussion and rhythmic performances I usually use classic quantize. For harmonic lines, runs, fills etc. smart quantize is much better imho as it will keep the relative differences between note timings.

2 Likes

Drums, Percussion, Bass, Guitar, Piano, Keys, Lead Vocals.

3 Likes

Wow, you are a one man rock band! :slight_smile:
That must serve you very well as a composer too, right?

3 Likes

For decades.

Though I have several records out with several bands, this year I am finally releasing about half of previously unreleased songs that I did solo, built track by track, usually drums first.

There are 150 songs out from the 70s and 80s, and currently releasing the 90s to the present at about 2-3 songs a week.

70s link

80s link 01

80s link 02

Just finished another yesterday, just for friends so far. Started another today. Well there are dozens started.

There’s also my 350+ pg book of poetry out on Amazon if interested, please preview:

4 Likes

I wish you’d asked what instruments DO you play. :wink:
I play a few instruments, but I can’t actually play them all.
I’ve been playing keyboards from the very beginning- probably my favourite instrument.
Then I kind of progressed to guitar, which I’ve been playing for years …I still can’t really play it that good.
Then someone introduced me to the works of
Sir Frank of Zappa - ever since then I’ve collected many instruments & things that make noises.
I love the acoustic guitar for getting ideas together for songs - or impromptu jamming sessions with friends.
I always try to record everything. It’s easier than trying to remember things the next day

3 Likes

Ah touché! I know many composers record instruments into their compositions without being that good playing the specific instrument. It’s the end result that matters! :wink:

3 Likes

I think Frank Zappa opened my eyes to so many possibilities, but more importantly I learned there are no rules when it comes to music .
Recording all the instruments your self is great fun.
The out come isn’t always What you Expected though. Especially when you can play an instrument quite well and mix it with a guitar. (That I can’t play that well)
:grin:

3 Likes

This is very true, and btw, by instrument we should not limit ourselves to the “standard range”. I mean, you can make your own instruments too, or even just hit things in your kitchen and mangle with sound design afterwards. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I play Electric Guitar, Classical (nylon) guitar, drums, bass (rarely) and piano. I used to play harmonica as well and it’s on a couple of recordings but that was years ago … maybe I might pick it back up again.

3 Likes

Where did you say you live, Trinidad right? Any interesting native instruments?

The only one I know here in Sweden is the “Nyckelharpa”.

Hi Mikael. The steelpan. We invented it. :grinning:

2 Likes

Have played bass for years ( in a few alt rock bands over the years)

Keyboards very badly. Trying to learn at moment.

I can play a few chords on a guitar as well.

2 Likes