What instruments can you play?

I play classical guitar since 40 Years. I have a Rodrigez Classical Guitar. I own several E-Git : Eclipse II, Ibanez, PRS and so on. I have a Twelve string Guitar. I play classical pieces for guitar. When I was young I was trained in a Trombone and Violin but I do not like that Instrument very well. And until today my favorite is guitar.

Greetings
Klaus Ferretti

5 Likes

Wow, that’s amazing, now I am curious…do you have a classical guitar focused track you made, that you can share with us? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Mikael, Sorry but I do not compose any piece for classical guitar.
As a rule and reguarly I prefer to play works by others. The reason is pretty simple, for composing I probably chose the wrong instrument. Most of the stuff I do for guitar is played through my midi keyboard.

Klaus Ferretti

3 Likes

I know some composers do add acoustic guitar into scores etc. I think @Sean has done this, correct Sean? Acoustic guitar can be a wonderful, light and magical instrument to have, especially with plucking arpeggios…I love that stuff :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, I really like recording guitar & adding it to compositions. It can even be really fun to augment the sound of the guitar so that it sounds like a different instrument all together. One of my favorite things to do is eq out all of the low end & make it sound like a tuned shaker.

2 Likes

Tuned shaker? Haha that sounds really interesting, do you have an example?

2 Likes

There are actually more guitars than one might think in this track. Listen to the highs & you’ll hear jangly acoustic guitars just helping to push the rhythm line starting around 42 seconds in…This was a track that a producer asked me to make for a documentary. He wanted a sad beginning & a happy sounding finish. Oops, I sent the wrong link, it’s fixed now…

2 Likes

I see now, you were right…it’s like a shimmer drive that is similar to a shaker :smiley:
It might be upbeat in rhythm, but there’s a bit of “mystery” in it too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s another one that’s less synth related…I think it’s a good idea to mix midi elements with real instruments whenever we can. It’s what will make our sample libraries take on more characteristics of their own when we add ourselves into the mix. https://soundcloud.com/user-31255647/tos-opening-creditsclip

1 Like

Very nice track, I like the driving smooth flow which is contrasted by the roll/accents. :slight_smile:

You really have an advantage being able to record real guitar in high quality for your tracks. I always fail to get results I am satisfied with when using VI guitars.

2 Likes

Thank you Michael, Sometimes I use VI guitars as placeholders to get a general idea of what a guitar in the mix might sound like. If it becomes something I think can be used I’ll record it in. I’ve done that with horns, violins, drums, etc. as well.

1 Like

From best to worst:
Piano
Keyboards (electric piano, etc.)
Saxophone
Flute
Drums
Bass Guitar
Guitar
Vocals and Kazoo

4 Likes

I can play a bunch of chords with the guitar with some timid solos too. A bit better with vocals, mainly blues jazz, but always keen to experiment in different styles.

2 Likes

Hi Mikael,

I started on Clarinet in fourth grade. (We weren’t allowed to start on saxophone), then went to school for saxophone & flute. Now I also play oboe, duduk and EWI (electronic wind instrument) as well. I’ve owned a blul for a while but still can’t get much sound from it.

I’m working on a project with soprano sax & EWI. Also one with C-moelody just to hear what it sounds like in an ambient setting. I’ve finished a couple featuring the duduk.

3 Likes

I play guitar a little bit. Nothing fancy, just basic strumming, arpeggios and chords. The most difficult chord I have been able to play is the B 7th. I have a steel stringed Ovation, and a 12 string Ovation.

1 Like

I can play most brass instruments (different kinds of trumpets: modern, piccolo, cornet, flugelhorn, baroque), tenor horn, baritone horn, euphonium, tuba, signal horn, natural horn, bugle
some: rhythm guitar, bass, drums and other percussion instruments, keys, tin whistle, recorder, kantele, violin, singing

2 Likes

Hi everyone.

In this order: Drums and percussions, all my life- with its formal music theory. Drums always has been my stronger instrument.

Guitar, Bass and Vocals all my life.

KeyBoard always has been a part of my life (pianos, synths, midi controllers…) buy only until recent years I really started to study and learn piano and really play. I read percussions and drums, but recently I started learning to read Piano and that’s helped me very much develop dexterity and it has helped me A LOT with creativity because I can play ideas and not only program them… so when you are playing with both hands, cool accidents happen or the ostinatos come to life and create new flow of ideas because they evolve as playing… and demands chords and then melodies… I am happy and I should have focus on piano eons ago. It has helped me a lot that Piano is also a percussion instrument, as my main instrument, the Drums… but in hindsight, I would in a second throw away any instrument for the Piano.

I recommend very much to anyone to learn not just to play, but to read it and the correct technique for the master of all instruments: Classic Piano Forte. It is way easier than it looks, I am surprised really, and once you start seeing and feeling the progress you want to practice more…

:musical_keyboard:

3 Likes

Hey all,

tbh, i just can’t play any instrument. I am able to strum 3 chords on accoustic guitar, and touch C E and G on a keyboard, but thats all.
I almost clicked every note in all of my tracks, in the MIDI Editor.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, you don’t HAVE to play anything, really… Back when I was working on my game, I realized that I could just type music in as script code for my sound engine. Not really what I planned, but it worked, so I didn’t bother hooking it up to a sequencer at the time. :smiley: Not being able to instantly hear what you’re doing forces you to focus on “hearing” it in your head.

3 Likes

I’ve been playing piano for nine years now and messing around with the guitar every now and then.

5 Likes