What instruments can you play?

I try to record at least 1 real element with a microphone in every track even if it’s just a shaker…I have been asked to take those elements out before, but at least I know I tried. I almost think the imperfection is the thing that helps it to stand out as unique. If we’re all using the same sample libraries we’re bound to sound the same I think…

2 Likes

It is in the performance the true soul and human emotion can come to its full potential in music imho. That is why I never quantize 100%, and in fact many times not at all.

2 Likes

We all have our strengths, like I said before, my piano skills aren’t that good so I find myself quantizing more than I like.

1 Like

Which DAW are you on? There are often quantize strength sliders so, and also quantize only notes outside of a specific “out of time” range.

2 Likes

I’m on Logic. Right when you said you don’t quantize 100% I remembered one of your awesome videos that mentioned the ability to quantize at different percentages. I’ll need to go back in & remember how to do that.

2 Likes

TIP: What I use as a guidelines personally is, the more rhythmically focused a part is (regardless of instrument), the more percentage I quantize. This means on leading melodies I don’t use quantize at all, while percussion and ostinatos might be quantized 80%. Just as an example.

2 Likes

Hey guys!

I originally started getting into music by playing drums. After that, I got into MIDI and got my first MIDI controller, so I started playing keys. Then I thought guitar was cool and got a guitar and after a while, a bass :smiley: I’d say I only play drums, but learning keys, guitar and bass.

4 Likes

I used to play piano rely well, many pieces by memory like Moonlight sonata and waltzes by Chopin, nocturne by Field and small pieces by Thaikovsky, but not anymore. I also can play the guitar a bit

3 Likes

A lot of multi talented folks here!
I started piano when I was 6 (many many years ago!) but I am a bass player by trade- also acoustic and electric guitar as well as old skool synths.
Im trying to learn the Irish tin whistle but its not going so well :frowning:
There is also a violin here that I am keen to play without sounding like a dying cat…
Any tips lol?

5 Likes

I don’t think there are any magical shortcuts to learning the violin (or other fretless bowed string instruments), but you may want to check out “Ricci on Glissando: The Shortcut to Violin Technique”. Basically, practice intonation by playing scales and intervals with one finger at a time, to build a feel for intonation and intervals as a function of the fingerboard, rather than the hand. (As opposed to the usual position/shift based method, where you learn intonation in terms of finger spacing, and then have to pretty much learn each position as a different thing.) You’ll still need to practice finger frames and shifting, but that gets a lot easier when you already “feel” where each note is, and just need to get the fingers there.

Advanced players don’t really seem to be concerned with finger frames and positions, so I guess Ricci is on to something there; maybe it’s not the easiest way to get started, but in the longer term, it may well be a quicker way to how one is actually supposed to play these instruments.

Oh, and the bow hand is at least as important. Lots of videos and stuff on bow hold and technique out there, and I recommend paying close attention, because it’s a lot more important than it may appear at first! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Guitar…mostly rock, but can fake just about everything else :grinning:

4 Likes

Hi everyone,
I play learning midi keyboard :crazy_face:

My Instruments

Singing
I can carry a tune I usually do this to create melodies and rhythm ideas along with a metronome or backing track probably sounds weird right ?

Guitar,Keyboard
I been learning to play some guitar and keyboard
I really love it very fun👍

Drum
And since I do not have a drum set
I sit in a chair and use my right foot for the kick drum on Beats 1,3 and my drum sticks are well made chopstick that work great for the snare on beats 2,4 and high hat
bouncing off my iPad

3 Likes

Probably will record my performance in my composition when I can play better and understand what I am doing :grimacing:

1 Like

Haha, who of us is not “air drumming”, it can’t be avoided :smile:

2 Likes

Sean what video is that ?

Oh I love Your Mexican Bound :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks David, I will check out Riccis book. One of the things that appeal to me about the violin (or cello) is how much expression comes from feel and intuition once you get good enough to stop thinking about every movement - especially the bowing!

4 Likes

I can’t remember which of Michael’s tutorials he covers that element of quantization in, maybe he can share it with us again…Thank you for your kind words Brian! I’m really needing some tutorials on how & if to pan orchestral sample libraries, mixing & mastering orchestral music too. Every time I think I’m close I listen to the reference audio & I’m not quite there.

1 Like

I think it might be this video I made on quantization in Logic:

3 Likes

No worries :wink:
I understand
I am not a expert at anyway
Maybe Mike can Help here

But about Panning

Here is a idea if You can do these with a library sample
What about take 3 different takes of the same violin and add a little bit of variation to change each violin up a bit
If that possible I am myself cannot afford sample liberties

Pan 1.Violin Right Up the Center (pan knob at noon)
Pan 2.Violin to the Right
Pan 3.Violin To The Left

Note: there is also a way to make Logic Pan Controls go into Stereo Pan
not sure How I am a way from my computer
I hope this might help or give you some ideas

1 Like

I have been using quantizes for exercises for learning purpose so I donot need to worry about the timing at the moment and I can just focus on the task at hand which is
Voice Leading :sunglasses:

2 Likes