WELCOME: Start here and Introduce Yourself! =)

Hi Mikael,
thanks for the warm welcome. As I already found out, this forum is very much alive. Hopefully I can learn a lot and perhaps sometimes help out…

1 Like

Haha, yes indeed, and we are perhaps a bunch of music nerds (and nerds in many aspects), but man do we have fun in here. I sometimes refer to us in this forum as “The Fellowship of Composers” due to the family/friends positive atmosphere. :smiley:

1 Like

Hello composers!

I’m Von. I like pop and rock music mainly, my favourite composer is Nobuo Uematsu. I’m a low mezzo soprano singer and melody writer and also a former clarinet player. In my spare time I sing in a band, we’re called Before The Story Ends. I’m a beginner songwriter and I’m currently learning about Logic Pro X via Youtube and starting to write songs occasionally with the help of Suggester (for chords). I’ve been watching Mike’s videos for quite a while since I’m always searching how to do things in Logic and he has all the answers, even to questions I didn’t know I had!

My current interests are harmony, formant frequencies, singing vowels, recording, mixing and the Logic score editor. I briefly studied music technology (Cakewalk) at college.

Link to some old band songs:

5 Likes

HI everyone and Mike. My name is midiman007 I am from NY. Looking to improve my music skills here

2 Likes

Hi, is this you singing? You have a great singing voice, and this is a great track, who mixed this also?

Hello Siobhan, and welcome to the community! :slight_smile:
Thank you for your kind words regarding my videos, and I am happy to hear that you are improving your Logic Pro knowledge. If you are interested in chords/harmony, I do have an online course on this subject: https://professionalcomposers.com/courses

I hope you will find this forum a great place for learning, discussions and connecting with fellow composers and music nerds. :slight_smile:

Sincerely
Mike

Hello, welcome to the community! :slight_smile:
Would you please fill in your real name in your profile, as we have a rule to use our real names in the forum to create a more friends/family like atmosphere. My name is Mikael as you can see. :slight_smile:

Sincerely
Mike

Thanks Carl, the first studio demos with the blue background were mixed by Sam Wale temporarily working at Rich B studios in Selly Oak, Birmingham. The original studio site closed down :frowning:

The second studio ones (the ones that say studio edit) were mixed at Robannas studios in Birmingham, I think the guy’s name was rob maybe? I prefer these ones since I sound less nervous as the other ones were my first time in the studio. It’s crazy how you go to a studio and they only want 1-2 takes of the vocal - not what happens at home, especially after learning how to do quick swipe comping :sweat_smile:

The ones which sound like they were recorded in a toilet were recorded by me before I had done any research into recording. I’m better at recording and mixing vocals now but there’s still a lot of room for improvement.

2 Likes

Thanks Mike, I have been looking at that course on your website, I will probably ask for it for my Birthday. I taught myself some basics of harmonising with Suggester but my new method of converting my vocal to midi and then making some harmonies based on the chords I’m singing over can end up very linear sometimes so I definitely need to learn a few more tips.

Glad to find some music nerds to talk to.

2 Likes

HI Mike,

As of now I would like to remain midiman0007. There are to many scammers and other stuff going on the internet for me to release my real name at this point of joining your community.If that is breaking your rules and is unacceptable I will cease to use your community. At a later date when I feel comfortable I will
use my real name.

1 Like

It is a main rule yes, as I have found that it is the only way to keep the community friends/family-oriented and respectful. However, it is perfectly fine if you just add your first name. A good compromise, yes? Basically everyone should be able to address any other member by first name.

While you might be afraid of scammers, I on the other hand have had to close down 2 previous forums that I worked 2-3 years on due to the curse of “anonymity” and how it destroys any culture. Just take a look on YouTube comments, and the bad effect of complete anonymity is sadly very clear.

I hope you understand, and choose to stay with us! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fair enough. I just updated it.I do understand on your end about people with nick name being abusive and abrasive because they use a nick.

1 Like

Thank you James, I’m glad you see the benefits. It might seem petty, but from my experience running communities in various aspects for several years, the culture we create is formed by small details. :slight_smile:

Now I hope you join the discussions, start new topics, and enjoy connecting with fellow musicians and composers in the forums.

With kind regards
Mike

Hi Mike,
Not need to thank me it’s was a fair request but I am not sure it’s a benefit yet, time will tell.
I have already posted a track for comments in the feedback for track section.
My main instruments is Guitar and I have been slowly getting into Keyboards / Piano. I have always loved the piano. I love all music except Rap. Since stale beats is not music to me. This is my option and other re guard it highly… Which is fine in my book.

1 Like

I already listened to it, and commented on it. I think you will find one of the benefits being a complete absence of nasty/disrespectful comments in this community (in any subject or music discussed). I believe in civility at all times, and my main job in moderating the entire forum is to see that this civility and mutual respect is always present. :slight_smile:

And regarding your main instrument: Interestingly, I am the opposite. I’m a piano/keyboard player, well at least that is my primary instrument as a composer. And I am slowly, with a very strong emphasis on “slowly”, trying to pick up the guitar.

:smile:Guitar is not that easy the left hand stretching to get weird chords. I am not saying piano is easy at all, but you have to push the strings to make the sound and getting your fingers to do that can be a task in it’s self…I have been playing guitar for about 30 years. I struggle with the keyboard at times, but I can say that I can hear the chords on it to match the ones I know on my guitar.

I am not a nasty person and I give respect also. I only get nasty when people get nasty with me first.

To learn Guitar It’s like you learned your piano practice and practice and then practice some more… :sweat_smile:

This is why I have so much respect for people who can play a instrument not a machine. It takes years to get good at it. A few hours to get good at pressing buttons to play samples of loops.

How are you and your family over there. I saw on the news they did not close Sweden.

1 Like

Indeed, playing any instrument (well perhaps not the triangle) requires years of practice to reach a decent level. By decent level I mean being able to record performances good enough for professional music productions. :slight_smile:

I do want to get back to my guitar practice, but running my own business, plus my YouTube channel, plus this forum…well, Im sure I don’t have to tell you that time is, and always will be the hardest thing to manage haha.

I am safe, and yes Sweden (as usual) went with our own “model” haha. But it’s not like everything is normal. I haven’t been able to be with my parents for months, and me and my brother help them do their grocery shopping every week. I wish this virus just goes away asap sigh.

Very true on the time. There seems to always be not enough.
I am glad you and your family are good.

I found it strange that they stayed open with being so bad.
The only good thing I can say is you guys have great health insurance, Like most of Europe.
I know it’s not a sure thing for life, but at least it is an off set.

Be safe.

1 Like

I decided not to wait until my birthday. I bought the course, I’m not finished yet but I’ve already learned a few things like what voice leading is, comping rhythms and alternative names for chords (this was really confusing me on Suggester before doing your course). Thank you.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear you are already making progress in your harmony, chord an voice leading knowledge. Do you play keyboard/piano as well for your music?