Preparing for Black Friday 2020

I suggest to either invest in the new iMac 2020 (a beast) or waiting until the new one / or the MacBook with Silicon chips will come out. What Apple promises sounds unreal, as I heard something like 50 to 100% more power compared to what they offer now…and I have to say that even now it’s already insane…

Oooof. I’m far from a good hardware. Last week i upgraded from 4mb to 8mb ram. :rofl::rofl::rofl::sweat_smile::man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Noire is very high on my list!!

2 Likes

Interesting you’d call them essential, as I don’t have any of them and I’m very happy :stuck_out_tongue:

Libraries are so subjective aren’t they. What is essential to one person is simply just different to someone else. :smiley:

2 Likes

Mind too! But I have so many Pianos that I’m just not sure I need it :joy: I’m so conflicted as a composer and a hoarder :crazy_face:

haha yes hence “my top 10 list”…which will be different from 99,99% of other people’s top lists :wink:

1 Like

I don’t have a top ten list. My list has another 0 on the end :joy::joy::joy: I’m so indecisive… though I’ve picked all my upgrades now for the new studio in 2020… so my Black Friday list will have to wait.

1 Like

New studio in 2020, I thought you said April next year?

1 Like

I typed 2021, sorry my silly phone autocorrects everything!

My list now consists of

2020 imac i9 (128gb ram)
Arturia key lab 88
Clarett 2i4 (as an extension to my other interface)

If I have anything left over I’ll be grabbing a stream deck and starting an analog custom synth build.

2 Likes

2021 will also be my huge upgrade year! :wink:

1 Like

You got it. Exciting times!

1 Like

yeah i can never get enough haha

1 Like

Hey Mikael -

I don’t know what your workflow is like, but I’m looking at building a PC next year just for streaming samples. I would love getting a nice new Mac, but until the apps I use are ALL ported to the ARM architecture (as opposed to running in a Rosetta-like situation) I’m thinking the trouble won’t be worth it to me - whereas a PC running VEPro will just work. And it’s surprising how inexpensive the CPU’s are. But, you know - it’s a little difficult finding folks who tax a machine in the way I do who can say how a 16-core Ryzen 9 is doing for them vs. an Intel 10900x or what have you. Most folks are running four Serum instruments as opposed to 2-300 Kontakt instances. And there are tests like DAWBench(?) but that’s not like hitting it with an orchestra with lots of SWAM instruments, is it?

2 Likes

I considered the dual computer setup, but no, it’s not what I want if I can avoid it. I want one single powerful machine with several connected screens…but all controlled from the same inputs (mouse, keyboard etc.).

3 Likes

Abbey Road one: https://www.spitfireaudio.com/

Upgrade to Komplete 13 @Mikael

1 Like

I’d like to get something by Hans Zimmer on Spitfire, maybe percussion, even strings, I’d really like something dark and powerful with the cellos and double basses.

I’d also really like to get Joshua Bell Violin!

Also getting myself a new PC, switching from laptop. 16 GB ram, Ryzen 5 3600 and of course SSD drives. Maybe double monitor for aesthetics :eyes:

2 Likes

I have been considering HZ Percussion, for those super dynamic low booms, that you can add more into the “back of the hall”. Then layer with Damage 2 for more “slap in your face” kind of percussion. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Awesome! I’m rolling with East West composer cloud, just looking to get more percussion, solo strings (I reeeeeally want something expressive, like in “The Gravel Road” from the Village by James Newton Howard) and an ethnic vst would be nice!

1 Like

For solo strings there are not that many great options. But for percussion libraries, I mean, I have like a 10 top list already of libraries I own in that category! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks for the list!

1 Like