Preparing for Black Friday 2020

Ah well I guess it depends what performance we measure. For me loading speed of libraries and projects is a huge thing. :stuck_out_tongue:

You are looking forward to April? The thread is about Black Fridayā€¦did you make a mistake here or am I missing something haha? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nope I didnā€™t make a mistake I was just chipping in that this is when Iā€™m upgrading stuff.

1 Like

Then the natural follow up would be: Why April specifically?

I have a neverending list of stuff to buy.

1st place: Kontakt.
2nd: Ana2 / Kick2 from Sonic Academy.
3rd: Hoping for air musich technology to make their ā€œevery product at 1 euroā€ discount this year too to get Loom 2 for an additive synth.
4th: Krotos Simple Monster
5th: The Mangle to get a granular synth that I miss in my library. (donā€™t know if itā€™ll be discounted but oh wellā€¦)

And many moreā€¦ Iā€™ll just check the price and see what I can do with my savingsā€¦

If I manage to Iā€™m also looking at Zebra 2 to complete my synth library.

As far as sample libraries go wellā€¦ Iā€™ve got Ethera Gold 2.5 on my radar for now cause there is no single orchestral one thatā€™s cheap enough u.u Might as well get epic vocals that Iā€™ll definitly need for game soundtracks xD

So you use an external fan-system to cool-down the HDD? Well, I thought about it too, but at the end, it went into one directionā€¦money. Haha. So I thought, Iā€™d better invest in a SSD rather than paying additional for cooling down the HDD. In a couple of years, I will think about the Tower Mac maybe. Depends on the situation.

1 Like

The fan is built into the HDD, so itā€™s extremely quiet. Infact the computers louder than the HDD LOL.

1 Like

Could you show me a picture of it? Just curious how it looks like with a fanā€¦:slight_smile:

1 Like

I donā€™t recall Cinematic Studios ever having a Black Friday sale, but either way Iā€™m eagerly awaiting CS woodwinds, like everyone else, if he can make them anywhere as good as CS Brass.

That being said, I would like to get the full version of Nucleus from Audio Imperia. Theyā€™ve impressed me so much with their updated strings in Areia, which I find to be almost better than CSS, Iā€™d like to hear how good their individual woodwind sections are compared to the ensemble version in Nucleus Lite. Iā€™ve also been chipping away at some of the Orchestral Tools libraries, which you can get through their Sine app, so weā€™ll see what kind of sales they have.

My biggest need though, is a new Mac with a built-in SSD. I probably donā€™t have enough storage for any more libraries :laughing:

1 Like

Iā€™ll probably be investing in a new powerful Mac next year, when their new ARM-based chips are implemented. I also want to wait for USB4, for optimal external storage speeds.

2 Likes

Yes of course. Itā€™s just an upright mini tower. Looks quite cool really.

This is an old photo as Iā€™m away from the studio today @Jlx but you can see it there tucked in the middle of the desk.

1 Like

Yeah, I see it. This black one. Cool. Didnā€™t know that they could be that small. What is the exact model? But I think that investing in a tower later on, will be the best choice. If I just look at how much I have spent the last year, I could almost buy two of them. I have a colleague who has the old G5 Model, now like 10 years old, and he said it was the best investment in his producerā€™s life so far. He couldnā€™t ā€œbeatā€ this beast with plugins, libraries, in terms of CPU. And if we look at the specs of the newest one, itā€™s wow. I wouldnā€™t invest in that monitor, but the machine itself is something that makes sense if we look long-term.

My look at investments is always long-term, so I count down to how much an investment costs for me a day. And if you know that your amazing computer, that is your moneymaker, costs like 3ā‚¬ a day, and you pay 10ā‚¬ for coffee every day, then itā€™s a great investment for me. 6k sounds a lot, but if you use it for 5-7 years, itā€™s the best ROI.

Oh, I totally forgot that I have only 40GB of RAM right now. So I will get another 32GB to fill up the max. 64GB of my iMac and sell the 8GB if someone is interested :smiley: Not sure who wants to buy 8GB but in Germany there is a small free eBay site and sometimes people like to buy cheap and used stuff. Better to sell for 10ā‚¬ than itā€™s lying somewhere without any use, right?

What do you think is a fair price for 4GB x 2 RAMs? They cost new like 32ā‚¬. I used them for almost two yearsā€¦10ā‚¬ is fair?

1 Like

I have no idea on used prices, but yeah try adding them on a selling website and see what happens. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I need to get a new Mac to tide me over until the new Apple chips come out. Thinking of a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air.

Also a decent pair of studio monitors like the YamahaHS 5 and a decent reasonably priced mic for vocals like a Lewitt.

Then maybe some mixing and or mastering plugins since I really suck at these tasks.

1 Like

I need a new Mac too, but I decided to wait. Are you really in that much need right now, because from what I heard the new ones with Apple chips are going to be so much more efficient. :slight_smile:

I have Yamaha HS7, and love them.

Good Swedish Morning!

Here are the results of the Huskvarna-juryā€™s wishlist for the early coming Clanta Saus:
(Any Pun Noticed Is Intentional)

ā€¢ Toontrax: EZbass (!)

ā€¢ HoC: Damage 2

ā€¢ HoC: Aeon Collection

ā€¢ Spitfire: Chamber Strings

ā€¢ 8Dio: Majestica

ā€¢ 8Dio: 66 Basses

ā€¢ 8Dio: 66 Tubas

ā€¢ 8Dio: Liberis Choir

ā€¢ 8Dio: Mandolin

ā€¢ Indiginus: The Resonator

ā€¢ u-He: Diva

ā€¢ AiR: Loom

ā€¢ LennarD: Sylenth1

ā€¢ Tone2: Electra 2

2 Likes

Haha, thatā€™s quite a wish list PƤr. Out of those I have Damage 2 and u-he Diva. Both are in my top 10 list of most essential tools nowadays! :wink:

1 Like

Well for perspective my current machine is a 2012 MacBook Air with 4gb of ram and an i5 processor.

Iā€™ve had to use several workarounds to make this machine work for me such as creating different sub files for percussion, harmony, leads etc then bouncing the audio tracks to a master mixing file. Iā€™ve also added an external HDD.

So I think Iā€™ve maxed out the machine.

1 Like

I know the pain. Especially since I both do heavy (as in big) projects with lots of sample libraries and plugins AND high end video productions. I really really need to invest in a new computer. But I force myself to wait a bit more! :stuck_out_tongue:

Good morning. Ah nice to see. Thought I was the only one in here who use and like 8dio stuff. :grinning: