Music Theory and Composition (Rick Beato)

Rick is a wonderful music theory teacher on YouTube, with vast knowledge on all things composition and theory. But more importantly, how to use music theory in practice.

Check out Rick’s Music Theory and Composition Video Tutorials

7 Likes

rick explain the theory in a very simple way that everybody can understand

2 Likes

Yes this guy knows a lot of things and has a great ear and plays a friend told me about him and a lot of the stuff just flies over my head
But as I learn more then go back and watch more little musical nuggets start to seep in my brain
good stuff😀

1 Like

He does not only explain well, he shows things in practice with live examples etc. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Brian, honestly many of his videos are very advanced, using scales and modes that are very rare. He is probably the most knowledgable person on YouTube when it comes to music theory.

1 Like

I agree I believe a lot of this very rare scales and chords that he understands and knows
is by knowing what notes to sharp and flat and very understanding a lot of different harmonic structures that are being used out there just not talked about much
So yes I glad my friend told me about him
I think this is correct I could be wrong I am learning a Major 13 Chord has the 1,3,5,7,9,10,11,13
But yes

1 Like

I included a chord reference chart as a resource in the community, honestly that list covers pretty much all chords I ever use (with very rare exceptions). Check it out here: Piano Chord Chart (Free Guide)

Going above 9th chords is a very “grey area” when it comes to chord names to be honest, and classical music theory pretty much never does. It’s more Jazz and experimental genres that do. But as soon as you go above 7th chords it starts to get more “ambiguous and subjective” when it comes to chord names.

2 Likes

Love Rick. His videos with Dylan are on a league of their own. XD

3 Likes

Rick is amazing…I’ve followed is channel for quite some time now…

1 Like

Here is a brand new video from Rick that came out today I wanted to share with others and maybe they could use this in their own music

THE 10 LEVELS OF HARMONY (that you can use)

1 Like

Music Theory Everyone SHOULD KNOW | Chords, Progressions and Keys

I find this very useful
I hoping it will help others as well

2 Likes

This Youtube channel by Rick Beato is unbelievable and anyone who is interested in music theory is just right. However, I also believe that beginners have their problems with these complex approaches. But it is not unusual. This is the music theory of the 20th century of jazz, blues and classic. If these explanations are too theoretical because one wonders where practical can be used, Beato shows many examples from the world of film composers. But you can also find this world of sound in Stravinsky, Bartok, Debussy, Ravel, Varese, Honegger, Britten, Poulenc, Satie, Charles Ives, Henry cowell, etc. Rick Beato takes some film composers and shows how this modern music theory can be applied. He shows at Bernard Hermman, Goldsmith, John Newton Howard and John Williams.

Greetings

Klaus Ferretti

2 Likes

Yes Rick is like a huge smorgasbord of knowledge
I just watch a little here and there to get ideas and inspiration then I learn some more and try to listen to see what I pickup
but I do agree he is not always easy to understand

Just wanna say here that your videos are great too ChrisSiuMusic