With which method do master your inner ear?

Hi there, I really like to write and play what’s in my head, but I can’t.

So I would like to improve my ear with some ear training, I know that method of signing an interval and use a reference song to understand the first interval, but I think this was helpful only with my ear test exam… I can’t sing (even if I can) and think on the intervals of the reference song :open_mouth:

So, do you suggest a method or software like Ear Master pro to master your ear?

PS. Mike I don’t know if this is the right section, in any case pardon :disappointed::pleading_face:

1 Like

Wonderful question Carlo! :smiley:
I don’t really like interval training practices personally. Whay I prefer to do, and what has helped me greatly to improve my sense of chords and harmonies is a technique I call: The mimic method.

What I do, is that I open up Spotify with a specific track that has a section I really love. Then I sit with my piano. Then I start listening to this section. Pause the music, and starts to play what I think I heard.

Then I rewind the music and repeat until I get a close enough performance on piano. This means I will also see all the melodic intervals and chords and harmonies used for that theme. :smiley:

2 Likes

I know about this method cuz I saw in one of your course :stuck_out_tongue:

But let me pass this word, I’m looking for something more “academic”!? I’m like who wanted to learn all of this in conservatory but I didn’t xD So it’s like I wanna do this hard stage too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah I understand! :blush:
Well what kind of ear training? Intervals, harmonies, chords, keys/scale, meter?

I still think learning anything like this is much better when sitting by your piano so you can apply it in musical way.

However there are apps for this, which might be what you prefer?

I would like to improve intervals and chords first…

Sometimes I have melodies in my head and I can’t take it out cuz I’m not good on singing and I don’t know what kind of intervals they are :open_mouth:

Transcribing melodies is the best way to do it. When i was studying music, the teacher used to play melodies on the piano and we would transcribe everything on pencil and paper.

If you’re working by yourself, the best is to use Ear Master, which is in my opinion one of the best music software for training your ears.

Practice doing dictations and you’ll see yourself progress really fast :slight_smile:

Here’s an example:

3 Likes

I do not really sing either, but I do like humming melodies. The fact I do it all day constantly lol :smile:

I can also recommend practicing and improving your piano skills as much as you can.

I am no great piano player but I can say that the more I develop my skills on piano, the better my ears have become on “feeling” chords, harmonies and melodies automatically. :smiley:

3 Likes

If you have an android or iPhone there is a wonderful music theory app called Perfect Ear. It takes you through interval and chord recognition to tapping out rhythms, site reading and the dreaded scales. A complete music work out in a little app.

Apple - https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/perfect-ear-ear-trainer/id1440768353
Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evilduck.musiciankit&hl=en_GB

5 Likes

Chordify net is my goto place for stuff like this. I can practice sight reading skills, learn about the chord arrangements and intervals, and it will put any youtube video through the chord cruncher. Try one of you own songs, it is fun. Great for when you want inspiration OR if you want to check and see if your ear is right…

Lets say you have been playing along with a youtube video and you are not sure about a passage. Chordify it to check it and then play along. It really is a fantastic tool.

3 Likes

I saw in one of your video that you use synthesia.

I didn’t know about this program, is it good? Will it improve my piano skill too? It seems amazing and funny to learn in this method

1 Like

Oh yes it is amazing for so many reasons! :smiley:

1. Included Piano Arrangement for practice
  2. Free Playing (Shows the chords you play)
  3. Lots of MIDI tracks you can import online into Synthesia

For me it is also great for teaching, since you can see what I play, plus the chords I use etc.

2 Likes

Here is what I started doing for ear training which does take a lot of work but fun also :grinning:

Hi Everyone,
So I tend to use a slow down software one Called “Transcribe”

To slow audio down very slow to where I can Hear one note at a time
and I listen to over and over until I can get one note right before I move to the next note etc…
then once I do get the chord or the phrase down at that speed

I will speed up the program Transcribe just fast enough to where I can physically play it

and I play that over and over again until I feel comfortable at that speed

My goal is to be able to play it at full speed but I know this will take time🤪

1 Like

Ear training and solfeggio is always a nice option to improve your skills.

I am using Better Ears (https://www.mamp.info/better-ears/en/) for some years now and it really works! They have an iOS app + Desktop App and you could sync both version + it keeps all statistics so you could see where you fail. You got Interval Recognition and Singing, Chord Recognition, Scales and everything you’d expect from an Ear Training app. You can also customize every exercise so it matches your current skill. It works with MIDI, you can play answers with a MIDI keyboard or a fretboard, in case you are a guitarist. This App gets 10/10 from me…

1 Like

Thank you, seems to be like earmaster pro but with a low cost, I’ll give a try :wink: