Why we shouldn't use Logic for notation?

Hi guys, I wanna open a topic about Why we shouldn’t use Logic Pro X as a normal notation program like Sibelius, Dorico etc etc?

To be honest, I am an novice-int. user of Sibelius, I like it cuz I can see clearly the rhythm, the notes etc etc

I’m creating now the taiko track for the trailer contest and I’m working on the score editor inside logic pro, and I’m going to like it. So I was asking myself, why people won’t use it? What’s the problem? Should I start study the score editor of Logic?

Please clarify to me this question :smiley:

1 Like

hi,
i am not a logic user, i use cubase 10
in cubase there is also a score editor but it is very simple, you have the very basic function
to me a DAW has a job to do and it does very well
and if you need to write score the bettzer way is to use a soft that it is his job like sibelus, finale or musescore because there are notation program
you can import midi file in notation finale and you can use all the notation tool to improve your score

1 Like

Hi @Carlo_Tuzza,

well I remember when I still worked with Logic, it was possible to see all the notes in the so called “notation tab”, but to be honest, it wasn’t looking really professional, although you could make it look professional I guess. But overall the workflow wasn’t great. So I never used it really. But sometimes it was useful to check something, how it could possible look in the future, when you export your MIDI-Data. Sibelius is ok, but way too overpriced. The best program is/was finally for sure. I never heard from professional arrangers, that they used something else.

If you ask me, I worked with the free software Musecore, working great, and Notion from Presonus. It’s super simple, you can’t make super great looking “Scores” with it, but for 60$ it does what it has to do. Just simple and clear arrangements.

Best regards and take care,
Alexey (JLX)
@jlx_music

2 Likes

Actually, I know some professionals that DO use Logic for score production! That said, it’s generally not as flexible, or at least not as simple to get more complicated things setup in it.

Like with most tools though, if you learn to use it properly it can be pretty powerful.

2 Likes

Yes I started to use Musescore as well
but I also started using Logic Pro X score editor abit for notation for when I am experience with midi ideas etc…
Have 3 windows open
1.tracks
2.score editor
3.midi
This way I can get a big over view of what’s going on in my daw

2 Likes

By 3 windows, do you mean you have 3 physical screens?

1 Like

Oh Mike my bad :grimacing:
Yes 3 virtually windows from Logic
unfortunately I have a 21” i Mac monitor so as You can imagine this get abit crowded :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Haha, yeah I will eventually end up with a crazy Hans Zimmer setup (surrounded by screens, keyboards and gear) lol :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

But this is not a bad idea ahhahaha

I would like to have more than a physical screen even if I work on an iMac. Indeed when I have to work on my macbook pro… I can only complain cuz of the small screen ahahha

2 Likes

Logic’s notation window is fantastic. I’m using Nuendo that has one too, but it’s far from being as smart, fast and intuitive as Logic’s notation. That’s the only function I miss from Logic X.

I used it to prepare my scores by setting the right clefs, keys, articulations, dynamics in Logic before exporting the XML data into Finale or Sibelius to work on the layout, add more details and export individual parts.

3 Likes

I think the best thing is to compose in Logic (You don’t see those barlines like in notation programs) prepare your notation in project alternative in Logic Score Editor. For this I recommend Jay Asher’s book, Peter Schwartz tutorial on Macprovideo and Doug Zangar tutorial for Groove 3 . The Score Editor is not easy to understand at first but when you get it you can quickly transcribe your MIDI performances to good notation. Go to score set window and choose new complete set . Name your tracks properly and then music XML export full score to Dorico. Dorico recognizes your Full Score and Parts automatically and you continue to prepare beautifuly looking parts and full score . Sorry but Logic Score looks sometimes like an old ATARI notation…

2 Likes

I’ve been using Logic since its original incarnation as C-Lab Notator on an Atari 1040. You’re right, despite amazing improvements in the DAW, the notation aspect hasn’t changed much at all. It’s a great shame. I’m now looking to export projects to Dorico to produce professional looking scores and I’m trying to figure out an effective way of doing it that preserves instrumentation, tempi, CC data, articulations etc. It’s a massive headache. I’m coming to the conclusion that the best way of working is to prepare the mock-up in Logic and only once totally satisfied with the project export to Dorico to add the expression markings for the final engraving stage and preparation of orchestral parts. If only Logic had upgraded the notation functionality as much as the other aspects of the DAW!

1 Like

Actually Dorico ‘s MIDI import has been massively improved with a recent update .So it might help to do two exports from Logic . One project alternative for XML ( transfers articulations,text,dynamics etc) and one for MIDI (transfers tempi, CC , ) and have two projects in Dorico and copy-paste between them . For me it is the fastest . I still compose and mock up in Logic using the Score Editor with bravura font ( looks a little better )