What instrument(s) do you record yourself when making music

Ha! Just looked at a contra bassoon from my local store…$32,000. Bassoon…new car…?

2 Likes

Well, I love cars (crazy track/race cars in particular) - but my new instrument is worth more than either of my cars, so… I guess there is a new trend in my priorities here. :smiley:

1 Like

Then I suppose you love Mad Max? :wink:
High octane, lots of smoke, heavy music.

1 Like

Actually, I’m pretty much totally out of the loop with movies, games and all that now - but yeah, that sounds like something I should check out! :smiley:

1 Like

Piano a lot, a bit of vocals, a little bit of guitar, violin and cello. Bass guitar. French horn and woodwinds. Percussion (just recorded a rainstick). I would love to record a string quartet but probably never will.

3 Likes

Hi all,
I use audio with all guitars and vocals and I use midi for the rest of the instruments. I use now the triple play for guitar midi and Sampletank for my virtual sounds, which by the way is very, very good, in my opinion.

Best.

1 Like

Guitar and bass. Thinking about claps and snaps should I try more upbeat inspirational stuff for Pond5

2 Likes

Nice Geoff, and yes even the most simple sounds/instruments like claps, shakers, and everyday objects can make a huge difference when added into an otherwise all software instrument composition. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, game on now…I just got a new double horn (French horn in F) to mess around with. Let’s see how this goes :smiley:

2 Likes

Nice…! Haven’t gotten into wind instruments yet, despite being tempted since about forever. I’m worried it will go the same way as the bowed strings… These are not budget friendly addictions! :smiley:

1 Like

Haha, yeah orchestral woodwind instruments at nice quality is even more expensive than bowed strings! :stuck_out_tongue:

Brass I am not sure about, haven’t checked. But concert flutes were insanely expensive.

2 Likes

Well, the bowed strings can get ridiculously expensive once we get into the antique territory (as any investment objects of historical importance) - but even a “normal” modern top quality luthier instrument tends to sell for $25k or more. From that perspective, brass instruments may seem “affordable,” but a good double horn still costs more than my “advanced student level” cello… :smiley:

2 Likes

The total cost of the horn is about $3500-$4000, but my local music store does a lease to own program, so it’s really $50/month. The sales lady was like why not just trade up every year and learn ALL the brass! :laughing: Had to decide between a horn and euphonium. I was like, “Which one is going to annoy the neighbors the most?” :rofl: Would still like to learn cello, but I don’t have enough space.

2 Likes

For some reason, I really like the flügelhorn, so that’s probably where I’d start. Though the French horn is really tempting too… Probably no neighbor problems here either way, but I suppose there’s a limit as to how loud instruments one can play even in a villa, without annoying everyone in the general neighborhood.

I’m more worried about my own ears, though. My current violin is pretty loud already, but my new instrument is in an entirely different league, so I’m slightly worried… :smiley:

1 Like

I record guitar myself and sometimes bass (I am not a bass player but just play it as if I was playing a guitar)

2 Likes

The rough part about horn, well double horn, is learning different fingerings for switching between the Bb and F horns, plus you need more precise control with the overtones to get your notes right.

For some reason though, I’ve always liked that mellow, tenor sound of the horn and it’s great for both epic melodies and those great John Williams-like cantabile passages like from Indiana Jones. It’s just ver versatile.

2 Likes

I record sax (alto and soprano), flute, clarinet, bass clarinet, and some piano tracks myself.

2 Likes

Wow that’s quite a range of instruments. :slight_smile:

Hey @Mikael, here’s a really cool instrument I just randomly came across called a Drume Hand–it’s a very melodic steel tongue drum. Seems like it’d be really fun to learn!

2 Likes

Yeah I always loved the sound of those pan drums and similar variants, such a magical vibe! =)

2 Likes