What are some other very common ways of ideas to get single note lines moving And flowing along musically?

Let say I will play a basic 1 iv V 1 chord progressions but only using the single root note of each chord which in this case would be

C F G C

basically a easy bass line moves through the chord progression

I thought maybe a I iv V I chromatic approach might work

Like A B then the Chord note C

Then D E then chord note F

Then E F then chord note G

then last A B then C

Or what about

playing only every 3rd note on each 1 iv V 1 chord progressions

like the 3rd Of C is E note of that would be the 1 chord

the 3rd Of F is A note of that iv chord

the 3rd Of G is B note of that V chord

and back to the E note of the 1 chord

what are some other very common ways of ideas to get single note lines moving And flowing along musically ?

I hope this made sense ?

1 Like

In your examples all your parts are moving in step and in the same direction… classically speaking this isn’t the best practice to start with.

I think it would be very common for you to try to approach your parts while moving the harmony in contrary motion. So I’d you we to start with a C And an E, and the next chord was F, then the C remains static and the E moves up to the F. Alternatively the C could also move down to an A using a passing note (B). In the second example the parts are moving in contrary motion which is good practice, especially with the use of a passing note.

Another option for the firs example would be to use an upper neighbouring note transition where you would move up to the D on the C passage before returning to C when the chord changes to F. This works nicely as D is the 6th of F, which would be considered a hint towards the F major (as the 6-1 progression is seen as a soft perfect cadence). Now you have a progression in C major that hints towards a key change, which opens up your harmonic capabilities to another key/keys (F major/F minor/Ab). You could then use this to modulate back if you did go down this route, by simply reversing the cadence, but instead of starting on C, you would start on G (5th) and use the upper neighbouring note A (6th of C) to move back… giving you the harmonic option of using the keys (C/C minor/Am/Eb).

These are just a few ways you can expand a simple progression like this. They’re fairly common but not too common. :slight_smile: I hope I explained this ok.

2 Likes