Westworld Spitfire competition entry

Well said man. Your very philosophical this evening :wink: haha it’s ace :smiley:

2 Likes

Hans Zimmer?
You are absolutely right. I progressed more in learning and improving my mental part while reading in this forum than focussing on harmonies and theory. As i said before this might be 80% or even more.
Its great to read about different approaches and different beeings and all respect each other. Such a professional way, i am really impressed! I wish this would happen to me more in real life!

3 Likes

This may be a silly question, but what does it mean when you export audio to movie in logic and when it bounces/saves on your desktop and play it back when opening the mp4 file, you can hear the music audio and dialogue and effects but when you upload it to youtube you can only hear the dialogue and special effects, you cant hear the music when uploaded on youtube? Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Did HZ really say that? Would be funny indeed!

Well, Hans is a really great example of being himself and not trying to copy someone else aka. he is exploring sounds, techniques and tries to find ways that nobody did before.

I remember that in one interview he has mentioned that he is upset about that when he hears music somewhere, he think it’s him, however, it’s another composer trying to copy him. And I think I can relate to that.

Without a question, he is a role model and a pioneer of the new era of film music, but no one needs another HZ again.

This is why I don’t like phrases like “I compose in the style of Hans Zimmer…or John Williams…”. I mean seriously, who cares and really, is being a composer does mean that you need to make impressions of someone else style? Find your own, it’s the main goal when being a composer.

For me, every composer, no matter if he or she ears money with his/her music or not, should feel that they are special in a certain way and have their own style/character. Yes, we use Braaams and Co., but at least I don’t say to people that I want to be like Hans or John. I really don’t, as it would tell me that I haven’t found “myself”, which is by far the most important thing in the whole music making process.

People don’t work or hire you because you are a good copy of someone else, they hire you because they want a new character, originality and something fresh and different. I mean even production music houses started to say/write that on their websites. There is a reason for that.

2 Likes

Haha, yes Alexey. And this reminds me of some comments I see on Youtube of epic music, and if there is a string ostinato people say “this music is amazing, sounds like Hans Zimmer”. I get so annoyed with that. It’s like saying all metal bands sound like “whatever band” because they do palm muting chugging on their guitars! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, a little happy rant there. And personally I am a huge fan of Hans Zimmer. I love his music, but more importantly his work ethic, humility and personality! :smiley:

1 Like

I had this issue the first time I did it Carl a few years back. When you export it just make sure you don’t tick the audio box as it exports. It’ll work then I think :slight_smile:

1 Like

See it as a compliment if someone says it’s sounds like something else. Afterall, John williams sounds like holst, Zimmer sounds like an epic knock off of a lot of minimalist composers (infused with talented musicians he’s worked with). We are all amalgamation of the influencers we’ve admired over the years. An that is ok :smiley:

I can’t remember who said it but there’s a quote that says,”first you copy, then you replicate and then you innovate”. These are the steps we go through. Most might never innovate and that’s ok. This is a collective thing we do. Everything we listen to inspires our own work. In that sense we are all connected :,)

1 Like

Henry Ford or Conficius?

1 Like

I honestly can’t remember :joy: I read a lot of books and stuff sticks… but I’d never fully remembered :joy::joy:

“Tell me , and I will listen; Teach me, and I’ll remember ; Involve me , and I will learn .” — Benjamin Franklin.

@Mikael should be the slogan of our forum here…

2 Likes

All of the yes’!!! (Additional characters needed to post) :wink:

Hi Geoffrey, when I go to export audio to movie, I checked the movie file to be included in the project save folder, it’s also set on Linear pcm audio format and when I hit save, I get a dialogue box that asks: choose track to export dialogue box, with one option below only to enable, so I clicked enabled for this one option it shows below:
enabled: sound aaa ( 2 channels, 0 bit, 48.000 kHz)

(you’re saying I should uncheck this enable box? cause when I also unchecked the enabled option and played the video back from desktop, it left out the audio for the music and kept the audio for the dialogue/special effects only)

Strange thing is, I have one video already on my desktop that I played back where all the audio is there and works but once you upload it to youtube, you don’t hear the music audio. Thank again, i will try to find a more detailed video instruction on this online.

hey man, dont click enable. that is what you are doing wrong :slight_smile: by clicking enable youll be putting the audio you exported at the start back on and when you upload the file will only recognise the old audio and not the new music :slight_smile: hope that helps.

1 Like

okay got it, I will try what you said now, hopefully it will still play the music audio after it bounces, wish me luck.

Great thread everyone. Some fantastic insight on everyone’s individual approaches!

2 Likes

Yes that is so enlightening, right Stewart!? :slight_smile:
That we all have different ways and implementations when we compose/produce music. I think there is so much to learn from hearing these other perspectives from each other.

2 Likes

Good job man. I wish you a lot of succes with the contest!

1 Like

Thank you mate! Doubt I’ll win. I’ve just entered for fun mostly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, I am SOOO happy that we don’t have it here in the forum! To be honest, today was the last day I have ever commented a post in a Facebook group! I’m DONE, really. I can’t stand that anymore, as it kills all the vibe during an honest conversation from 1:1, when suddenly someone starts to comment your post, as he doesn’t like what “you have said” and is 180 degrees against your subjective opinion.

I mean seriously, sometimes I can’t understand what people are thinking while writing their out-of-topic comments there. Literally, one guy asked for some feedback for his Spitfire Contest and I suggested to put the music 2-3dBs down at the moments, where the dialogue is. The guy said “thank you, for your feedback”, and then suddenly another guy commented on my suggestion that I need to “re-listen” my own submission, as he didn’t like mine obviously and stated that my critique was pure “air”. :smiley:

At that moment I had to ask myself, whether he truly knows how to define “critique”. I haven’t commented that, and that’s why I wanted to share my little story with you, as I find that the best way is just to leave the conversation. If there is a pure time-wasting hobby in the world, then exactly THAT!

@Geoffers as you have said before, we don’t need to be the same opinion all the time, and we just need to except that, as it means that we act in a professional way, and what works for me, doesn’t mean that it will work for you, right? Everyone should build their own opinion. That’s what I hate in this Facebook groups, that I ask myself, “Are there people really waiting for these stupid opinion fights? Don’t they have something more exciting in their life’s, as writing these out-of-topic comments?”

I even remember one post, where I had a small discussion with another guy, and I totally understand his point of view, which was 100% fine for me. What happened? He was banned from the administrator :smiley: I was like: “Wow, what’s going on here??? I need to leave this…”

This is why this community can’t be compared in any way with anything else out there! :muscle: :heart:

2 Likes

I share the exact same hatred for Facebook groups of that description too! Infact when I posted this on a group 4 individuals sent hate messages for doing so because they didn’t want to see it. I replied stating to each of them that, it’s a composition group. Though I’m not sure what they replied as then I blocked them. There has been so much hate with this hasn’t there.

I guess that’s just how it is… with anything that is inherently good, like a scoring competition that actually has dialogue, there’s going to be bad peoples who ruin it for the rest. It’s so sad.

And I totally agree, it’s totally natural to disagree on things, in fact it’s needed. It’s how we learn. Healthy Disagreement forces us to think and revaluate our own views. We should welcome it.

The thing is, we live in a world where everyone feels they are the definition of everything… as if they could know everything.

There’s a friend of mine who I rarely talk to these days as every time I do he disagrees about everything in an unhealthy way. Arguing over everything, even when he’s been proved wrong. And if he is right on an Occasion then they Are right, you won’t hear the end of it.

I’m really sorry you had to see the horrid side of Facebook groups, they can be cruel. The majority of people on those sites are good, but it’s the minority that ruin it for us.

2 Likes