WELCOME: Start here and Introduce Yourself! =)

Hey, Everyone. Thank you, Mike, for the gracious invitation… Mike… the King of Acoustic Stealth. [heard that on PBS last night and thought of you] My name is Gregor Rice, living in US. I wrote my first composition in grade school and continued to evolve with music through public education. I started composing again in the '80s. After listening to many of the intro offerings herein, I hesitate to post with so many experienced professionals onboard. I’m starting over again, currently repatching a loaded LogicProX home studio, and deluged with tutorials to engage all my tools immediately useful.

I found Mike’s Logic tutorial getting up to speed on some functions and was so impressed, I purchaced 2 more tutorials. Good form! Thanks, Mike! I have a backlog of various genre, solo, and with intermittent partner, Mark Kieswetter, mostly demos, a few masters, accumulating more awards than wall space. That said:

Intro: Creator, awarded composer~lyricist, arranger, recording~mixing, awarded producer, some singing back in the day… with review available in the current maze via www.starkamp.com still in process. Click logos and icons to get around should you care to explore. Concise bio via …/whozitstarkamp.html Players on landing pages are at bottom left. [Activational StarKid Themesong is on there too many times…] Web developers required.

My first love was the healing, new age genre I helped usher in back in the day, inventing The MAX~Q wavetable re: frequency therapy/activation, creating Q with the illustrious Voyetra 8. Interspersed with Broadway and film musicals, I/we also created a few pop and country works in attempt to fund the StarKid.edu projects, 1986, very close several times. Yet funds required for production 1980s, and now/2020, for the redo on the recent website [content only] by stellar web developers, and teams for project management, talent, administrative, et al, are still at large. Some of the music still requires masters… lots to do. Suggestions and/or assistance welcome.

Continuing to upload content, again, having started these several times thru the years, for all 4 age-specific projects, to ignite our facet of the activation re: The Great Awakening finally under way. Our Christmas song redo 2016 has also gleaned many awards and licensing contracts so far which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRAH491IOG0 with warm wishes to all this blessed holiday season.

2 Likes

Hey, Ryan. Sounds really interesting. I will likely need software development for the StarKamp projects. How do I go about starting that process? What are the ballpark costs involved? [I hope this is an appropriate post, not off topic. ?]. Thanks.

1 Like

Mikael,

Beautiful song. What software did you use to create layered video? Thanks.

1 Like

Hello and welcome Ryan, I also started with trackers back in the late 90s. It was a fun time, wasn’t it? :wink:

I hope you will enjoy this community of composers from all parts of the world, and all levels. Feel free to jump into the discussions, and start new topics of your own! :slight_smile:

Sincerely
Mikael “Mike” Baggström
Founder of Professional Composers

1 Like

Thank you Gregor,
I think I simply used Screenflow, the same software I record my videos for Youtube and my courses.

Welcome Gregor! :slight_smile:
Haha, I don’t know about acoustic stealth, but I do have a huge passion for all things music/audio.

That is a very interesting project you worked on, I’ve never heard of it, but I’m intrigued. I do believe that the power of music goes beyond pure entertainment. And I also believe, that emotions and the mind is far more capable than science have yet discovered.

I hope you will stick around in the community, join the discussions, connect with fellow music creators, and have fun along the way. :smiley:

Sincerely
Mikael “Mike” Baggström
Founder of Professional Composers

1 Like

Hello. My name is Colin. Please pardon my rough introduction, as I have a difficult time with these kinds of things. To make a long story short, I feel like I don’t belong here, yet am desperate to make it anyway.

I’ve been fascinated with the emotional aspect and picture painting possibilities of music for as long as I can remember (thanks most specifically to video games). After I turned 20, I started developing skills by transcribing some of my favorite songs by ear, which eventually led to me enrolling in college for music. Howeer, being surrounded by ACTUAL musicians, coupled with my extremely rough mental health, saw me make my eventual exit with nothing to show for it, and a nearly-complete renunciation of all things music.

The problem is, no matter how much I tried to convince myself I have absolutely no chance, no future with music and no actual talent or skill to compose my own songs, I CANNOT get rid of the feeling. I took to theory so well in my college classes, can still spend an entire day talking to people about how some of my favorite songs invoke strong emotions, and just generally still get deeply lost in thought when I think about it all. I apparently can’t give up, no matter how much everything inside me tells me I should; I am destined (or doomed) to ram into this brick wall over and over again until it finally breaks. I don’t know what it will take for me to get past it, but I can’t live with myself when I don’t keep trying. It’s going to be very difficult for me to participate in here, but if I am accepted, I will try my best.

Now for the reason that truly makes me feel like I shouldn’t be here: I don’t exactly have a portfolio. I have only a couple of extremely simple tunes I’ve written that I am not entirely happy with. I would simply love to change that, which is why I made my way here. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

4 Likes

Welcome Colin :grin: ,

Im glad Your trying and here and I myself feel the same way at times
have not been around here in while do to circumstances out of my control but trying to get back into music

But I want to greatly encourage You Colin this is the best place to learn and the people here are so awesome in helping and all very talent so Your in good hands

God Bless

Hey Colin. Welcome.
Bad days for a fast response :crazy_face:
I would like to tell you that everybody start with a lot to learn. My initial tip, control the anxiety for the results, and enjoy the journey in itself. Soon you will see how many steps before you and the pride of leaving them behind your back one by one.

1 Like

Hello. My name is Chris Obenberger. I live in Tennessee with a family of 4. I enjoy playing the guitar and wish I played the piano better. I have written a number of children songs which have been enjoyed by friends. I want to share my songs with others (and if I can make a few $ as well even better) and improve my writing skills. I’m taking Mike’s orchestral strings course from Udemy and thoroughly enjoying it. I hope to get more insights from this forum and feedback from my songs to improve them.

2 Likes

I was a guitar player way back in the 1960’s. Never became famous, never wanted to be. Practice and gigs were evening and weekends. I had a good day job.

Eventually, I voted for Harold Wilson with my feet and moved to South Africa, no professional music after that. Then my (EX)-wife :“accidentally” smashed my Fender Strat.

I came back to Europe in 1992, couldn’t get any work - ageism rules. So I worked for an American, later Dutch and then German company freelancing. I’m a Computer Engineer working my last years for Novell Inc

Started playing again but to purchased Backing Tracks until I got fed up and started making my own. mainly music from late 1950’s 60’s and 70’s.

Tried selling Backing Tracks, but folks today aren’t interested in music from back then, they want Hip Hop Rap and other noise. No one was interested in sheet music, very few are interested in playing guitar (or anything else, today’s music(?) comes from synthesizers

Now that the entire world is under house arrest, I make music from old songs, even operatic arias playing the melody(s) on one of my guitars.

I don’t put it on the web, I don’t try to sell it. I just give it to some of my friends and family. I play and make music for MY enjoyment. I won’t waste my time and effort even offering it to the new generation(s) to even listen to, REAL music is DEAD. Now we must suffer singer(s) who rely on autotune and cacophony with wild gyrations of supporting dancer(s) all played on synthesizers and drum machines.

I keep trying my hand at composing, but I’ll die without ever knowing if it was any good. Maybe when the world has gone full circle and after most of the population have been wiped out, and we give up the skins, woad and start inventing things again, someone my find one of my CD’s and maybe even enjoy it,

3 Likes

Thank you, Mikael. lol. No need to be modest now re: Kind of Acoustic Stealth.

I’m trying to keep up. I just did another tutorial on youtube but have not gotten back to your Logic tuts I purchased. I forgot where to access them. Hate to bother… I’ll check your site and see if there’s directioin there, too. Left message on YT tutorial. Can’t find functions… they are nowhere in my Logic. ?

1 Like

Hi there!

My name is Micki (well actually Mikael) and I’m a composer/producer from Espoo in Finland. I hope this was the right way to send some kind of introduction, I’m so far from a nerd you can come so this was the only way I found…
I mostly compose Ambient/electronic music but my inspiration/idols come from many different genres. Depeche Mode, Tangerine Dream, Linkin Park, 30 seconds to Mars and Prince to name a few. I’m glad I found this community and I hope to talk to you guys soon.

Cheers
Micki

4 Likes

I guess it’s time; My name is Ed .
My musical journey began about a half year or so prior to the Liverpudlian invasion; and, like many youngsters at the time, there had to be a band.
I worked for several years in the business, all the usual pits and demons, to now.
The bottom line is that I want to attempt a go at creating a few small snippets to justify to myself that I actually DID learn a little something.

I’m not big on commentary, but I will pipe up when I feel I have to.
That’s it for now.

5 Likes

My name is boyrazak,full time musician/composer/programming/arranger is my carier. i like to join this community & forum for Music Composers, Producers and Sound Designers. because so many good composer and musician.so we can learn and share from around the world.by the way im from malaysia.tq.

4 Likes

Hello Gregor,
Here’s my Logic Pro course: https://rebrand.ly/master-logic-pro

And here’s my 119 YouTube videos and counting with Logic Pro Tips and Tricks:

If you have Logic specific questions I would highly recommend you to join the Facebook group I founded for this “Logic Pro X for Professionals” here:

Welcome Mikael, good name btw :wink:
I actually have relatives in Finland, in the Helsinki area.

Please feel free to jump into the discussions, and start new topics as well! :slight_smile:

I actually had a good laugh in a good way when reading your introduction, even though I’m not sure you meant it to be cynical/sarcastic? :slight_smile:

In any case, I hope you will enjoy this forum, and that you will find some real music compositions within it. Or post some of your own perhaps! :wink:

Truly beautiful work, Mikael. Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Charles Mazarakes and…
when I was a child took piano lessons and played the viola in my 5th and 6th grade classes, but sports and my friends took me away and rather than pursuing music as a profession I majored in the visual arts and for all of my life have made my living from it.

But every day I would in my mind “hear” music, often original tunes and sometimes try and play these creations on our spinet at home but I never made the commitment to creating and recording my music until I purchased a Casio keyboard and finally a computer with garage band.

When I “mastered” garage band, I graduated to Logic Express and a year ago to Logic Pro. I’m not and never will be a tech wizard, but somehow I’m able to find ways to - at least to my ears - bring to life, (with amazing plug-ins from EastWest, Spitfire and others) some pleasing musical creations.

Recently I came across Michael’s videos and found them full of wonderful information and Michael’s alway upbeat and optimistic personality made them a pleasure to watch. I was thrilled when I found this forum and look forward to participating and interacting with my fellow composers.

Here’s an original orchestral work I composed called DANCING ON A CLOUD AT DUSK .

https://youtu.be/EYGAWYPC2Mw

The original video called FIX YOU is here:
https://youtu.be/C4gCdGXKJVk

It is choreographed and danced to by: Emilio Dosal & Kelsy Landers.
The cinematography and editing are by Gerald Nonato
It has a special meaning for the artists and is well worth seeing.

4 Likes