Untold battle (epic choir music)

Hi guys, here a track i made lately ! it’s a battle music featuring an epic choir ! i would like to have some feedback ! thanks

For now, i just trying to make simple music that sounds good! by simple i mean less instruments !
somewhere i’m aiming to compose music in style of John dreamer. I like how his musics are simple but sound good !

Edit:
The final mix after editing based on feedback !

3 Likes

You have a good base here, with interesting evolution of the melody. The instruments and orchestration could use a lot of polishing though. I understand you’re trying to stick to basics for now and there’s nothing wrong with that, however choirs and instruments in the background seem to constantly fight for attention. This can be easily fixed by keeping an eye on your levels. Imagine it this way: You want an epic sound but don’t want all elements to go at maximum volume all the time.

I apologize if my feedback is a little bit too direct, but that would be my first suggestion, work on developing your instrument dynamics and you’ll get a lot of improvement in your sound overall.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, you don’t have to apologize, i really like the feedback ! it’s my first try to this kind of style, so i knew somewhere i was missing some things ! i will work on it to try to make it better! thank you very much !

1 Like

I like to tell people a little joke, “The Simpler the Gooder!”. :smile: As for the drums in the background, the rythm is good, but they seem to be a bit thin. Maybe bumping up the bass somehow, and/or a bit more on the saturation?

3 Likes

Thanks @jphturtle for your feeback ! about that percussion i was just affraid it hides others background stuffs that’s why i prefered to reduced the volume now at (-14) but i will try to make more thick ! thanks

I made some adjustments ! did it get any better ? ^^

edit:
The final mix after editing based on feedback !

1 Like

Oh there is no way to describe how much better the edited version is, except it’s so much better, it brings tears to the eyes (In a good way). Well done!

1 Like

Glad to hear that ! thanks very much for your feedback !

All in all I like the track! Especially the second version, much better drums in there. But the idea is great!
The simple melody line is perfect and I like it has also some development.

To me, the piano at the beginning feels too much emotionless, too flat, maybe try to find a different library that would bring the magical sound of piano into the beggining? The beginings matters! :smiley: I know I am maybe too much demanding as a pianist :slight_smile:

Another thing, after that pause, from 1:43, I am missing a liiiiittle bit more power? It feels the same as before that break. I think I would add some low brass melody that comes up, just to make stronger wall. At 1:56 when the louder string comes in, it feels good tho!

Oh, and I really love the choirs, I envy you all who can do vocals like this :slight_smile:

I heard the newest edited version just now, and wow! Much much better feels. The piano still tho ;D

2 Likes

Thanks very much for the feedback ! for the piano part i don’t have a lot of libraries so it will be difficult to try something new ^^ ! but if overall it sounds good that’s enough for me ^^ ! for the choir you can achieve something better than this i think, all is about trials and learning !

1 Like

No problem! And well, true! But it is also about libraries and I have none for vocals :confused: same situation as with you and piano. But maybe a little more dynamics, sustain and some reverb would help! :blush:

1 Like

Ok i understand ! here i love choir too much ^^! there are sustains but i reduced the velocities ! what i had in mind when i was making the beginning are some tracks from two steps from hell (ex: victory) and some tracks from John dreamer (ex: End of my journey)! so i wanted to achieve something similar! but it’s true i could have add more dynamics !

1 Like

@Mia_Jezkova i added some dynamics at the beginning ! is it fine now ?

here the track :

2 Likes

Yes, I can hear the difference in the dynamics and it does sound better! :slight_smile: Good job:)

1 Like

Ok great ! so that will be the final mix ^^ ! thanks everyone for your precious feedback !

Hello Souleymane,

I like your melody, I think it’s a catchy motif. In terms of arrangement I also like it, there is diversity every now and then. If I can give you feedback I would make the dynamics even greater. The piano and the strings in the intro are very static. I don’t know which sample libraries you use, but I try to play more with the MIDI CCs (expression and modulation, for example). You would get a more realistic sound of the instruments.

Keep up the great work!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! i will keep that in mind!

1 Like

I would check out evenants cinematic course, from idea to finish recording. It teaches a lot about basic orchestration and mock ups, including mixing etc which helped me a shed ton! Will really help you to put ideas down better and how to best orchestrate . :slight_smile:

1 Like