Trucage mecanique (electronic ambiant)

Hello
here is a composition made for a 24h scoring challenge
i use only three chord and only electronic sound from my korg oasys 88 and some virtual synthe

thanks

3 Likes

Quite liked the piece as a whole. I think to stop it becoming repetitive, perhaps you could change up the percussion element underneath a bit in different sections, that way it’ll give more emphasis to each different one.

1 Like

Enjoyed this track and felt it was rather short for an electronic ambient piece. You have chosen good instruments to complement each other and I agree with Ben, a small change to the percussion element would remove the repetitive nature of this style.

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

thanks a lot for your feedback agree with the idea of ben about the percussion
i keep in mind to add more variation for the next composition

1 Like

Enjoyed the track .The sounds you have chosen are very nice

1 Like

COOL. Very JARRE track.
I think the background deserves more presence in some moments. Maybe a second pulsating melody to fill some little empty fragments.

1 Like

I like it, can imagine this used in a scene. I like that it is not too strong but still has a good pulse and dynamics.

1 Like

thanks a lot for your feedback, i will keep your advice about a second pulse

thanks a lot for listening to my track and your feedback

Nice Downtempo song.

1 Like

Nicely done, Florent!

These 24hr challenges (or anything that force you to change your normal processes) can be revealing in terms of one’s comfort zones and patterns! Did you discover any of those when you were writing this? How might you challenge yourself to change things up going forward?

I get the sense that had you had more time this piece would be longer (the transitions felt slightly rushed at the beginning), more would be done in terms of writing in space (e.g. reverb, echo effects, sweeps), and more colors / voices would be used melodically. Am I close?

I liked some of the melodic development toward the end.

Chordal constraints (three chords) aren’t uncommon. Was the challenge to maintain the same structure (e.g. only triads) or were chordal extensions in play? Where I’m heading is whether or not floating the chords over a pedal point of the current key was an option. Would, for example, a C triad be the same as a Cmaj7(#11)?

Again, nice job!

1 Like

hello stan
so many thanks for your feedback
Did you discover any of those when you were writing this?
the answer is yes because in a very short time try to do your best in creating and composing a track with an imposed subject it is very hard, you had to find the color, the theme, the rythm, the harmony, everything in fact
for each of these kind of challenge i start from scratch, first i try to find a mood or a theme or a melody on the piano when i get it, i try to find to good tempo, then i record the piano . after a lot of listening i choose the color i want to use this is the hardest part because a colour can change everything

How might you challenge yourself to change things up going forward?
i try to think to the theme even if it is two or more word i try to develop a little story based on that theme then i try to think music

Am I close?
yes of course, i made it in only three hours , but for this challenge it is very special because there is two theme and i decide to compose for t-both of them
the second is this one : https://soundcloud.com/cosmozik/les-aventures-du-sultan
i manage to compose for the two themes
i agree with lake some structure, transition, effect, because not enough time and also because i have made the choice to compsoe two tracks in less than 24hours :slight_smile:

Was the challenge to maintain the same structure (e.g. only triads) or were chordal extensions in play?
no it is my choice there is no limitation in the harmony and the chord you want to use, you can use everything you want modal, tonal, pentatonic scale, etc…

Would, for example, a C triad be the same as a Cmaj7(#11)?
no C triad is not the same than Cmaj 7(#11) but for this track if i remember i have used Cm, Gm and Fm with the 7th and the 2nd for each of them in the melody and the arpegio, the pedal note is the tonic of the chord :slight_smile: the transition is a variation in cm7 with a lot of passage note

Glad it was helpful!

The Cmaj7(#11) is essentially a D triad over a Cmaj7 chord (technically the A makes it a Cmaj13(#11). By using a D triad over a C pedal you can infer the extended lydian harmony and still adhere to a triad only constraint had one existed.

Take care!

Stan

1 Like