The Sewer Maze - for the Dark Music Contest

Hello everyone,

Here’s my addition to the contest. Honestly, I had no idea what to do here, I’m quite new to this and I have always been focused more on harmonies, so I really wanted to try making the beginning atmospherically scary without any harmony… in the end I put my bet on tremolo, because it’s naturally scary. Hope it has the same effect on others. Then I tried to make the rest just as unpredictable as a maze would be. The airy flute is there to lure, to make whoever is running the maze continue. I hope it’s not making it too much complicated.

I use Cubase and as for plugins, there’s Instinct, and the rest is NI. The percussion and drums need much more time, I cheated in a looot of loops.)), but I cannot spare more time on that now… so, here’s that. I also used some downers I downloaded from this forum, big thanks for them! :slight_smile:

I’m aware I can’t classify for the contest for the lack of hearts, I’m just more of a lurker, because writing posts takes time while reading - not as much :smiley: But I’m participating anyway, because I wanted to make my lazy ass to conjure some evil dark music:))) it’s okay not to win.

11 Likes

Great work! A little bit trailer like. but it sounds awesome. The strisngs ist fantastic in my view. It drives the music. But the balance could be better. Well done. I like it.

greetings
Klaus Ferretti

2 Likes

Love this track - love the way strings build great dark overall feel to it

3 Likes

Stuck in a dark damp maze, sometimes having to run to keep the closing door from closing on you, but too late! That’s what I visualize with this. Nice. But there could be a bit more bass with the drums.

3 Likes

I loved the airy flute very creepy but cool!!! The begin like the melody and strings :+1:

2 Likes

hello
great composition, but i think it sounds like perfect for a trailer not for an dark ambiant music
but wow very powerfull

2 Likes

Hi all and thank you all for the feedback, I’m happy to hear it sounds dark and creepy and overall getting a positive feedback is hartwarming! :blush:
I did keep the trailer structure on purpose, because the contest description only says dark cinematic music, and does not forbid any structure :slight_smile:
Also thanks for the points about what could be better, I will eventually get back to this track and try to balance it and fix things that I will not like when I listen to it after some pause:)

2 Likes

Really loving that ostinato that comes in on the first minute. Curious what string library you’re using, if you care to share, I love how short and clear the staccatos are… Wondering if it’s Novo Strings. Nothing wrong with a trailer track imo. I think there’s actually a bit of demand for dark / horror trailers. Really enjoyed this.

1 Like

Thank you, Mike, for the feedback and Im happy you like the ostinato! Library I used is from NI, “Session Strings Pro”… I hadn’t use any additional reverbs or effects. Im quite content with this library too, although what I noticed, not mny ppl seem to favorize it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey that’s great to know! I’m looking at getting K12U which I think has sessions strings pro. So that’s encouraging my purchase. Thank you.

listening to your track on livestream now if you get this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UzXbIEW_d4&feature=youtu.be

1 Like

I will have to watch it afterwards, I m not at home, right now, so slow connection :frowning: anyway, K12U is great I think… It gave me a lot for the start with this kind of music! So definitely good purchase, imho :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think this track is the winner ^^ ! really well done ! congrats

2 Likes