Selling your trx/songs on your website?

Its not only in the music business. I can remember I helped a guy with his Computer, I installed a new OS, fixed some drivers, installed printer, .,… I worked a whole weekend on his problems. Some days later i asked him to help me to work something, and he said he wants 50 bucks. I said, no, I worked a whole weekend on your computer. He answered “Well these two clicks could not be considered as work”. I was like hmpfffff.
It is exactly was Alexey said.
Trust your people, in that point, that they value, what you are doing for them!

2 Likes

Everyone decides for themselves, if and how they want to be paid. I never focused on money, as @MaestroX said before, as it drives the focus in the wrong direction. However, because we are responsible for our personal time, we are responsible for how we spend that time too. So if I see that I can help and invest my personal for someone who is worth it, who truly appreciate my time, effort, help and value, then the time was spent the right way for me, completely independent from if I was paid for it or not. But if I see that what I do is totally energy and time-waster, even if someone pays me, I am still in the position to say that I don’t want to waste my time.

Yes, I had situations where people were angry and whatnot, but I state everything in a clear way, why sometimes doesn’t work out for me. Most of the time it comes down to respect. If I see no respect and appreciation, so why should I respect and appreciate to be with that person in one room? No point. Better to spend time with great people and great energy, where no money is involved, instead of being paid where you swear from right to left why you work for some cash that gives you no positive outcome in your mind.

Like now for example: Even if takes me 30 minutes to write a post, I have fun and used the time well for me because I like it and I like to be around great-minded people. Yes, I earned no money, didn’t “work”, what so many are telling every day on social media, business stuff everywhere, every second, hustle, hustle hustle, and this forum gives a great balance to be part of a community where people share what they do, what they love.

So it’s not all about money-business blah-blup, it’s part of our life, but it’s not everything what there is, because there is much more. For example…I had this idea for a couple of months now, I will launch a new channel on YouTube, besides my personal one. I will share things that will help you and other producers to improve your music, sound, mixing, etc. I already created a cool logo for the channel, and I want to make a little shop with merch for the channel, where I will ask people to support the channel, because I will share free stuff that you usually pay for somewhere else, however with the motive to donate 50% of what comes in. So 50% into the channel and 50% for charity. I think it’s great to give back to people what you get from people. Because what I see nowadays is just: Here is my product, go and buy. So only profit-orientated (everyone decides again for themselves), but I think that there is much more what we can do today.

What do you think guys, good idea? Maybe you have an idea about charity/donation? Rainforest, animals, poor kids…?

2 Likes

I’m sure you are aware Geoffers but I’ll comment anyway PRSMusic are the UK “agency” - to join is £100 (as of 2018 prices I think it was) I also believe they still have a reciprocal arrangement with other countries in collecting revenue for artists, here is a link, https://www.prsformusic.com/.
For most of my life I worked as a commercial catering equipment designer in industry, ovens, microwaves bratpans etc. (I used to take my sax into work everyday and practise during my lunch break, I arranged pieces for my quintet and have played other instruments all my life - what is often called semipro. I have incredible patience when teaching others and decided to take the opportunity to “retire” from engineering to pursue my semipro activity as a full time job. My income is mostly from tuition with some from performing too. My quotes are preset and experience tells me if we charge hobby rates our services sometimes get treated with less respect. I set what I believe to be a fair rate, and the truth is some people will be able to afford me and some won’t.
I used to charge less but realised that due to my nature I can only give my best effort for my students. So as I was acting professionally then it it is only proper to charge professionally. I read on the MU website about imposter syndrome, its a very helpful read.

Often as creative people, money is the furthest from our minds. We are by nature quite self critical and this doesn’t help our already poor attitude towards being a business entity.
I remember reading some of my old study material stored In the loft “written in my own hand.”
All the “interesting” stuff I remember it was like it was yesterday. I had to check the folder about business practise was actually also in my handwriting as I had NO recollection whatsoever of ever having read or written about it. :flushed:

2 Likes

Aha yes I’m aware. I just haven’t got around to it because literally all my work comes in from mixing and mastering and very small budget shorts. So it hasn’t been a priority yet. I nearly got it 2 months ago as I had a track accepted from a major library. But this is also something most aren’t aware of about pitching to libraries, if someone comes along with a better track (as in closer to the brief) then your track can be scrapped for theirs. In this case a veeeery established composer got the gig instead so much track was later rejected… which is fine because sometimes this happens, and it can be both down to their track AND their name… because the trailer house probably wanted the as ociation being a bigger brand.

This is my own doing as I’ve decided to only approach big firms with my work as I’m at that level in quality, which makes sense. So I’m pitching at the end of the month again. And if it’s accepted I will get it. :slight_smile:

I totally agree with everything else you said by the way, I can’t add anything to it, and thank you for taking the time to post about PRS as some others will find that useful as it’s a one time fee rather than a percentage off your earnings!

1 Like