Sad Music Contest - Hopeless

This composition reflects on the sadness and despair of a woman loosing her family in a car accident.
It starts by showing the melancholy of string sextet, and later adding a drum kit, a brass quintet and a bass clarinet. It shows an easy progression with a combination of electric and acoustic instruments, in order to obtain sensitivity with different instrumentations and atmospheres in the same piece. Eventually, a guitar solo represents the palpable disaster that cannot be undone.

1 Like

Nice Jorge. I like the direction you were going with this. Once the guitar solo came in, it had a very David Gilmore/Pink Floyd sound to it which I liked. For your string parts, I would let the harmonies sustain, swelling from a quieter dynamic level to maybe mezzo forte and then back down again. Also, transition the changes more legato. This will help the strings sound more natural and realistic, otherwise it will sound more like a synth with a string patch. Unless this is what your trying for :smiley:

The intro definitely sets the somber tone for the piece. This could just be my ear; I wouldn’t mind hearing the string chords you have in there panned in the middle (a lot of elements sound panned left to me…could be my hearing though).

As far as the music and arrangement, it definitely is an incredible piece. I’m not sure if the drums are needed. I think if you make the other elements more full, it will bring this piece more to life.

Thanks for sharing!

A moving suspenseful composition. Very well done.
As a beginner, I would have liked to see what libraries you used for the blend of orchestral and acoustic intruments…

It is a good idea for a sad song :bulb:, but there are some things that break the equilibium. The attack of the strings is too slow and it gives a “cut and cut” feelling. The drums have a unstable rhythm. some instruments, even the guitar solo have some out of scale notes.
I think that details must be taken into account because every little thing can help to achieve a good final result.

Thank you Matt. It is really what I wanted but I agree with you that the strings do not sound extremely natural in this case.

Thanks again.

Jorge

1 Like

Hi Marcus,

thanks for the feedback. I really like the 7/4 time being played by the drums but I agree that the harmony could improve regarding the panning.

Thanks again.

Jorge

1 Like

Hi Keith,

thanks for the feedback.
I used EastWest instruments: String quintet, brass quintet and bass clarinet. At the end I used a tworock amp with a dist pedal for the solo. I needed to have a contrast between the melancholic violin and a melancholic guitar.

Thanks again for writing to me.

Jorge

Hi Vicente,

for me the equilibrium is there, maybe is a question of perspective. The attack of the strings is exactly what I was looking for and it flows in a 7/4 tempo. The drums have an unstable feel because it is an unstable 7/4 time signature, and I was not looking for stability at all. Regarding the solo, all the notes are inside the minor key, I am not sure from what scale are out, as you mentioned. About the details, this piece really is created in detail considering the time and availability of a musician teaching music in an international high school. The details that I want are already in the piece, I am not sure what kind of details you refer to.

Thanks for your feedback.

Jorge

1 Like

No problem. I need to explore those different time signatures more too!

:v: Peace Jorge. It is just the vision of a illiterate musician. I say what I perceive, to help with an outer perspective. I can be wrong.
But I can’t be wrong in my opinion. And I think it doesn’t work.

Hi Vicente,
Thanks again for your feedback, but I am going to ask you please not to give more feedback in the future.

Thanks again.

Jorge

1 Like

Sure Jorge.
That is something I had decided already. :speak_no_evil: