Pictures and videos to music?

Hello everybody.
I wonder where you all get all the nice pictures and videos to your songs? Often there´s this nice fantasy style. Do you get them from work projects? Make your own? Download? And what about copyrights?

Depends, but I often get photos (or occasionally renders) from Shutterstock and the like, and sometimes, I work with them a bit in GIMP, adding effects, combining photos etc. There’s free stuff out there as well, but generally speaking, you get what you pay for. Also, there’s not much point trying to edit noisy, compressed, low resolution pictures, as that’s just extra work for poor results.

Some of these have videos as well; drone nature footage and whatnot. I haven’t done the corresponding with video yet (the only videos I’ve used are from 8Dio and the like, for scoring competitions), but I’m considering using Unreal Engine for that. (I’m a senior dev with some gamedev background.) Particularly interesting now that you get free access to the whole Quixel Megascans Library along with UE4!

Also looked into using Minecraft, since I like to build castles and whatnot in Creative Mode sometimes, but that’s obviously a rather specific style. Don’t know if that would really work for “normal” show reels. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can find free pictures on Pexels.com or on publicdomainpictures.net. You can also find a lot of pictures, including old art that is in public domain on Wikimedia Commons. Always check the license to see what you are allowed to do with the art and if you need to attribute the author. If a picture is in public domain, you can do whatever you want with it.

1 Like

Ok. Interesting. I’m old enough to have experienced only two TV channels, radio and tape recorder as only music source. It’s insane how much wider music industry is today with TV, games, YouTube, Spotify etc. And therefore more visual.

1 Like

it is very difficult to know if the picture or the video is free when you make a research through google
there is this great website that have a lot of video in domain public
https://archive.org/

1 Like

I either make my own pictures/videos or use stuff in public domain or cc0, pexels.com for example as mentioned above. Also all NASA imagery and videos are public domain.

1 Like