One of the recent cinematic tracks

I wrote this midtempo dynamic track using Spitfire labs piano, Spitfire Strings, Woodwinds and Albion one percussion. Mosaic bass from Heaviocity. Also some pads from Albion Neo. It is 120 , in G min. Thank you for listening

5 Likes

Great track Julia. It had a bit of a haunting, but beautiful feel to it, and a nice smooth flow. The choice of instrumentation was well balanced in my mind, and I especially liked the pulsing synth bass throughout; it was subtle but added a bit of energy to the slower main melody which was a nice contrast. You always have nice use of solo instruments as well!

Thank you Matt, I bought several libraries from Heaviocity including Mosaic bass and exploring more of the sounds… it is always fun to create something new

1 Like

very cool intro and lots of cool changes in the track. very good for something on the screen. hear some emotions of anger and frustration :slightly_smiling_face: Amazing song.

This is really well put together. The mix of the strings and synths works really well. Like Matt said, the mix of the slow rhythms in the melody and the fast pulses really holds your attention. I could definitely picture it in some kind of steampunkish, BladeRunnerish film.

Really liked this :slight_smile:

Hi, Julia! Very nice soundscapes here! Big Spitfire fan myself. Love their sounds. You used them to great effect!

I thought the drone did a great job of establishing the foundation for “solitude”. The pulsing lower voices provided good impetus.

I noticed you used the word “dynamic” to describe this work. I was expecting more quiet spaces based on that description. Thinking of times where I’ve found myself alone it’s the lack of sound that jumps out. In fact I often seek that out for times of reflection. Not that what you did is bad or wrong. Far from it. It just wasn’t what I was expecting.

Again, good solid writing, great sound, nice job!

Stan

Thank you! I am glad you like it. I am experimenting with new sounds like mosaic bass from Heaviocity where you can create your own pulsating basses… it is cool!

Thank you Carl! I am learning how to write cinematic tracks… I mostly rely on my ears and the composers who write soundtracks

Thank you Mike! Yes, it is a bit scary and tense at the same time

Thank you Luca

Thank you Stan! I don’t know what you expected… there is some tension in it anyway

1 Like

The tune has very strong atmosphere but I find it rather cold, like someone drifting away in outer space with no way back.

Hi, Julia!

Tension is fine and suits the setting well. Perhaps the words I’m looking for are that it came across as more intense and heavy than my vision of solitude.

I listened to the piece again, btw. I picture the “solitude” as someone taking on a monuments task or facing a daunting challenge and feeling isolated or alone. Almost a “how can I get through this?” feeling. Of feeling very small when surrounded by massive things.

I second Carl’s observation about hearing “anger and frustration”. There is that aspect of being alone as well. My question to you is is that the emotion you intended to elicit?

What struck me on the second listen was my ears kept waiting for a bit of rest. The mood / sound was dark, constant, and relentless which adds to the sense of being one against many. My ears didn’t find a place to breathe, if you will. There was a sense of fatigue. I think that is where my questioning “dynamic” above came from. The dynamic range was fairly limited.

And all of that is fine.

Those are all great techniques and ways to achieve and set a mood. Notice I wasn’t talking about a note here or a rhythm there. The discussion has focused on emotion and feelings which is where music truly lives.

To achieve that is far more meaningful than which libraries or chords or technologies were used. That is the “how”. You achieved “why” which is not easy. Bravo for that!

You asked what I was expecting.

I posted something here a while back called “Daydreaming At Midnight” which describes being alone with one’s thoughts both good and bad in the middle of the night. I worked to give the notes and environment space. I took pains to keep entrances and cross rhythms skewed to build a sense of being unsettled and a little off balance. I used hemiola in background patterns to capture the murky fog that clouds rational thought; the fog stemming from being bone weary yet being unable to sleep.

We had two different visions. We both took various paths to get there. And it’s all good.

Take care and be well!

Stan

Than you Stan for finding time to write a very detailed analytical reply and listening for my music even twice! I am flattered. I just wrote a short composition which shows tension, frustration, sadness, etc… whatever feeling you have about it… it is all right… it is good it does evoke feelings… as for the rest… it is a short complete cinematic track, it is not a symphonic poem… if it is too much for you and you need a break just turn it off…

For symphonic music listen to my Not Looking back or Wind of changes or Fantasy is E flat major

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Thanks, Julia! Continued success with your work! Take care! Stan