My First "Paid Job" as a Composer

TRACK DESCRIPTION:

So… In one of the game development communities I’m part of someone asked for people interested in composing a level track for an “absolutly non serious platformer game called Sheepy Bounces Home”.

The track had to be loopable, for 1 level, very “bouncy” and “easygoing”, at a maximum of 112 bpm and with a 6/8 rate.

I told myself I could give it a go… it would have been good practice for sure.

Ends up they like my little piece and actually offered to pay to use it in their game… go figures… so I guess I now officially earned my first “cash prize” as a composer :smiley:

…and of course they did give me permission to share this.

CREATIVE VISION:

Well… since it had to be a little bouncy and easygoing I tried imagining a calm and serene countryside scenery with sheeps bouncing around (cause the game is about a sheep bouncying of course :stuck_out_tongue: ) And this made decide to go mainly orchestral with the “lighter” instruments… so mainly winds and strings with just some little brasses to mix in some warmth.

Also I decided to do almost everything on a staccato for a more easygoing and happy vibe.

COMPOSITION DETAIL:

6/8, 112 bpm, done using a mixolydian scale starting on G.The piece is meant to loop and is divided into 4 sections.

To summarize it:

SECTION 1 - WINDS
SECTION 2 - STRINGS
SECTION 3 - LAYERED WINDS, STRINGS AND BRASSES
SECTION 4 - just and arpeggio and winds.

INSTRUMENTS USED:

DRUMS: Since I’m still not confident about my own made beats… for this I decided to use a 6/8 groove already found inside the free MT Drumkit plugin.

BASS: I crafter the bass myself using Ascension Synthesizer from W.A. Production

ARPEGGIO: Spitfire BBC Discovery Orchestra - Celeste

STRINGS: Spitfire BBC Discovery Orchestra - Layered Violins and Violas

WINDS: Spitfire BBC Discovery Orchestra - Layered Flute and Piccolo

BRASSES: BBC Discovery Orchestra - Layered Trumpet and Trombone

I’ve also used some reverb from W.A. Production Mutant Reverb Plugin, EQ was done with Cockos EQ already found inside Reaper and I have a little limiting going on done with ClipShifter from LVC Audio.

NOTE: I’ve decided to use spitfire free orchestra plugin because I figured that if other people will be doing other tracks… at least they can download it and all the pieces would have similar sounds.

MUSIC

3 Likes

Congratulation. And thanks for sharing.

1 Like

That’s great man! And it’s even more cool that they are making a game about my home country, Wales (sheep central) :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

1 Like