“Majestic” is my entry for the Professional Composers “Majestic Music Contest” (October 2020).
The piece is written for large orchestra for your audio panoramic tour of a grand and soaring majestic landscape!
Music and conductor score was produced using StaffPad for iOS, using a mixture of CineSample, Spitfire and Berlin libraries.
The form of the piece is essentially: Introduction, AABA, Ending.
- The Introduction, ambiguous (Ab - Bb/Ab) builds into…
- The first “A” theme in C major with bold French Horns carrying the main motif. Soaring strings and a triumphant trumpet take over from the horns with the second melodic motif.
- The second “A” section is given new life, back in “Ab” but this time presented by a spritely large woodwind section and splashes of percussion. The strings again present the melodies sub theme however this time in a more tender, contrapuntal arrangement.
- The “B” theme presents a mysterious and ominous contrast, in Ab’s related minor key of Fm. The brass sections take turns presenting the minor version of the original theme while the tam-tam, alto flute, contrabassoon, bassoons in high register provide some exotic colours. Violas playing “col legno” provide the ticking rhythm to keep things moving to our…
- Final and largest “A” and section now in F major.
- Bombastic Percussion brings us to a stop while the final melodic theme brings us to a grand close with harp glissandos and celeste chimes.