Layering and Panning

A question about which sample libraries work bast at layering, or, do you really need to layer if you have good sounding samples? As well, if your sample libraries are already pre-panned, do you really need to pan them when mixing? I was actually taught a technique with pre-panned libraries to pan them to the opposite side to create a better stereo field.

Or would it be better to just apply a stereo imager to create a wider field? I do this with Ozone 9 but two problems I encounter, even if it’s pre-panned, it doesn’t sound panned enough but if I use the stereo imager, it tends to lean more to one side. How can I sole this?

2 Likes

Panning, no, generally you get the complete stereo image pre-recorded at seating position in the stage/hall they used.

Layering: depends on if you are really going for a super balanced and cohesive orchestral sound. I don’t usually worry about that as I practically always mix in synths and sound design anyway.

Stereo imager: Remember that more is not always better. It’s like the loudness war. Dynamics and contrasts are one of the most powerful aspects of music, and you only get that by choosing and shaping those dynamics. And the same applies to stereo width, some sounds can be literally in mono while others are wider. The contrasts creates the bigger experience! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Mike. After working with my notation software for the last few weeks for some projects, I went back to a piece I was working on with Cinematic Studio Strings/Brass but it just seem like the strings had no life to them and so I spent a couple hours mixing instead of composing but I could only think of trying to layer to beef it up, but that didn’t work either. Although CSS/CSB are realistically panned, I feel that the mix was very narrow. Like, everything needs to be louder, but I don’t want to just use a maximizer, I want it to sound compositionally better. My octave ranges are pretty full, so I don’t know where the problem is. Maybe my ears :rofl:

3 Likes