INSPIRATA - Interesting reverb/spatial mixing solution

Seems like Inspired Acoustics (probably best known for their virtual pipe organs) have come up with a way of turning multi-channel IRs into something that can be used for spatial mixing and reverb, even allowing smooth automated movement of sound sources and microphones.

Release: December 10.

https://inspiredacoustics.com/en/products/inspirata-workstation

1 Like

Oh man, this looks sooooo good for my “placing dry instruments in a sound stage” journey! :stuck_out_tongue:

Btw, never heard of them, or their virtual pipe organs. I was considering getting the Organteq plugin, since Pianoteq was so damn good imho. Any thoughts on which virtual pipe organ is better?

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on that.

Have you tried Precedence/Breeze, BTW? That combo is working well for me so far, but doesn’t support smooth automation, so it’s not a good fit for sound design, foley and the like, where you might want sound sources and/or mics moving around. You can “fake” it to some extent by crossfading between multiple, carefully (due to phase issues) placed sources, but that only goes so far… Experimented a bit with that here, but ideally, I would have wanted the “walker” to actually move through the ambiences as well, but that would have resulted in a project the size of some people’s orchestral templates… :smiley:
https://soundcloud.com/david-olofson/dave-learns-to-jazz-walking-soundscape-only

Haven’t researched the organs properly, but that would basically be Hauptwerk (sampling) vs Organteq (modeling), as all of these (short of a few really old ones) are for Hauptwerk. Technology aside, it seems that Hauptwerk is a much more mature and complete solution, and also appears to be aimed at real organists, actually serving as an alternative to real pipe organs. Whereas Organteq seems to have a fair bit of tweaking options for its one “builtin” organ, there is a substantial library of real instruments available for Hauptwerk, and they seem to be all deep-sampled individual stops. (Unlike most sample libraries, which only include a small selection of stops, or even just “baked” configurations, eliminating the whole “synth programming” aspect of actual pipe organs.)

1 Like

That sounds really cool! Are you getting into SFX and Sound Design now?! :wink:

1 Like

Well, SFX and sound design is pretty much where my focus has been WRT my personal gamedev/audio projects, so it’s not that far off. :smiley:

(Actually, on a serious note, my career as a senior developer is coming to an end, so anything that’s not firmware for lab instruments, network appliances and whatnot, is of interest. I don’t really expect to make any significant money as a composer, so all pretty much anything is of interest.)

1 Like

Your career is coming to an end? You mean your current job position, right? Or are you saying you made a choice to change career completely?

1 Like

Possibly both at this point. I’ve been in this field for 23 years now, and I just can’t find ways to stay focused and motivated enough to get the job done properly anymore. It has turned from interesting challenges into all negative stress and anxiety, and I’m almost at the point of just having to quit, whether or not I have other options. I should probably have gone into management after about 15 years, as most developers do, but that’s just not my thing, unfortunately.

1 Like

I see. Health (both mental and physical) is the most important thing, so I can understand why you want to do a change. But not having any ideas of what to do next can become a stressful situation as well?

1 Like

Yeah, there’s always uncertainty of course, but also this frustration of having invested a lot in a field, and then having to start over with a steep learning curve again. I’m afraid I’m just not capable of doing that again at this point, unless possibly if it’s something I’m already invested and interested in. So, I’m looking for developer openings in gaming, music, or tools related to those things. Still development, but I’m not sure I realistically have other options at this point, as I’m not exactly in a position to start as an unpaid intern.

Why not start your own business? Even if you get a position at some game dev, you can still run your business on the side (enskild firma), and experiment to find out where you can pick up some income streams. I can PM you if you want to discuss ideas?

2 Likes

maybe you guys can team up or something :sweat_smile: two forces uniting to rule the music world

1 Like

doing more than one job is actually better especially these days were different industries closing or changing have more than one source of income or skill set is a plus. good luck though

1 Like

I actually still have my sole proprietorship from the gamedev/contracting days, but had to drop the development bit when I started doing that as a full time job. That’s when I decided to shift my focus towards creative work instead, and in particular, music, but haven’t actively tried making any money from that yet. I’ve pretty much just been using it as a way to cope with the work situation.

Definitely interested in discussing ideas!

1 Like

David, my situation is not far from yours. Only motivation will lead us to the finish line. I think your knowlegde and artistic sensitivity would be desirable for any video or game creator. But also i think that to survive in the beginning is a good thing to put seeds on different income sources.

2 Likes