Hertz/cents calculator for tuning in Logic

I don’t know why I even wanted this (or need it) but my husband made me a hertz/cents calculator for tuning in Logic. :grinning:

3 Likes

I made a chart like that too, and if you ask why…well it is great for tuning samples, sound effects, and even kick drums sometimes. And also to see the centre point of harmonic overtones for certain sounds when mixing.

2 Likes

Btw If anyone wants to make anything similar but doesn’t know where to start, let me know. I should be able to let you know the main Excel formulas used and you can drag to the other cells. Or I could send it if you’re happy to open documents from the internet.

2 Likes

That’s very kind of you Siobhan, btw…what use cases have you find for this for your own songs/compositions? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know yet, all I wanted was to make my own user scale for flex pitch (all I needed to find out was that 100 cents changes the note by a semitone) :woman_facepalming: and also to really understand how the tuning works in Logic and what it does. I then decided that I wanted to know what hertz are used for all the weird tuning scale lists in Logic. Maybe I will experiment with weird song covers tuned to A = 432hz but I could have done that without this spreadsheet…

I can’t do it yet but I’ve also been into the depths of YouTube and I’m really interested in overtone singing and spectrograms but I have so many other things I want to learn too. In between learning about Logic I’m reading a book by Berton Coffin called the Overtones of Bel Canto, he mentions formants a lot. I’m quite interested to learn more about them and the relationship between certain voice types / vowels / vowel shading sung with the highest resonance for that vowel or whether the formants can never be exactly the same as no one will have the exact same vocal tract. Also the connection between the various formants in a single note and the relationship between those individual formants and chords and why exactly the chords work.

I don’t know how to gradually build up my understanding, I’ve read about alternative tunings like just intonation etc on wiki and I’ve watched videos by Paul Davids and Adam Neely and it’s far too complicated for me to understand yet, one day.

2 Likes