DAW vs. Notation

Just curious who out there uses notation software for composing, versus DAW/MIDI? I use both, but mainly use DAW and VSTs when writing epic/cinematic style, but use Dorico Pro with NotePerformer when trying to write traditional or classic Hollywood/John Williams-esque as NotePerformer sound so realistic and “human.” Has anyone tried writing their orchestral parts with notation software and bouncing it to audio in their DAW, then used VSTs to layer or add sound design elements? Was the outcome good or no?

Thanks!

I only use notation for sheet music for education, practice etc. I have to be honest though that my reading skills for music sheets is simply too slow, as I used DAWs (piano roll) all my life, so I basically feel at home in my DAW. :slight_smile:

The main power of notation to me is the overview you can get (bird’s eye perspective) compared to a DAW.

1 Like

Yes. I find trying figure out what’s playing what note-wise makes my eyes crossed using the MIDI piano roll but so much easier with an actual score. I guess being raised on the classics makes me a bit more old-school when it comes to composing. But I really like Dorico Pro with NotePerformer, as it uses an AI to scan the score before playback, which really gives it a much more human/live feel. There’s also the option of rewiring your other VSTs to Dorico and using them for playback as well. I’d like to see what CSS sounds like with that approach.

1 Like

Well I think you have an advantage with that background to be honest. Another downside with sample libraries though, is that we are forced to put the notes ahead of the beat, depending on instrument and articulation. I wish there was a built in standard way for sample libraries to adjust by “pre-reading” the notes/articulations and play them back accordingly. While still showing “on time” in the sequencer.

1 Like

The notation editor for a DAW is primarily an MIDI input and editing tool. It’s not designed to create finsihed, publish-quality scores. I use Cakewalk, the notation view is excellent for large form compositions with a lot of instruments because the staff view is laid out like an arranger pad rather than an 8.5x11 piece of paper, which makes composing for lots of instruments easier.

For actual score production I export the Cakewalk file into Sibelius and proceed to create the finished score.

A music typography program is essentially a high-end graphics program for music. A DAW is mainly for the recording, editing and sequencing of audio and MIDI data.

Jerry

1 Like

Just randomly coming back to this, but we are getting there. With Impact Soundworks’ Tokyo Scoring Strings library, it does indeed have a “look-ahead” AI-style play back feature where you can leave all the notes on the beat, fully quantized and all and it will automatically decide, based on note velocities and such, which articulations to use, including which type of legato. It’s quite impressive and I hope to pick it up soon, but, new computer comes first.

1 Like

Like Jerry, I use Cakewalk as my DAW. However, I never use the notation view; I find that, for my way of composing, the notation view is too cumbersome, and slows me down too much. I much prefer either playing a part in live (with the tempo slowed way down…way down :smile: …), or I use the piano roll, which I’ve come to be able to read almost like regular music.
That’s my personal workflow. Your mileage may vary.

Steven

1 Like

Yes, that’s exactly what do (most if the time).

It’s what I did here: