Controlling And Measure Frequencies

I been listening to high frequencies and realize if this has been hurting my hearing or going to too :astonished:

How do others measure it ?
and what ways to mange it and know exactly where it is at all times ?

I use an sound pressure meter at the mix position and ear height …its set somewhere between 65 and 75 Db SPL (Sound pressure level)…With 2 engineers side by side we can easily talk over the mix while the mix is playing back… we also take periodic breaks as ear fatigue (listening fatigue) can really take alot out of you … there is a loudness level called the fletcher-Mundson curve which defines the most linear portion of what we hear at 83 Db SPL … but that applies to rooms which are in excess of 24,000 cubic feet…mix at a comfortable level … run it a little harder for a few passes towards the end of session to see if everything fits together …Not a great answer , but having a loss if hearing or a dropout in a particular frequency range is hard to make up…

1 Like

Hi there Keith ,
Forgive me I am still in learning stage
What sound pressure meter plugin are you using in Your Daw?
And are You using on each track ?

At this time for any kind of field recording
I am using my old iPhone 6 Plus I am using a
Free app that I came across without having to pay a monthly charge

Well … I have a separate SPL meter to measure at the mix position, I don’t use one in the daw … Most of the production work in studio uses LUFS …loudness units full scale … We use this measurement for producing appropriate levels of sound for broadcast, streaming media and film … SPL is just a relative measurement at your mix position … I use a product from TC Helicon called a clarity-m … it takes the digital audio stream stream from my DAW and calculates the loudness levels over time …both short and long term duration …if you Google “tc helicon clarity-m” you can check it out …

1 Like