Continuing comparison libraries first Hollywood orchestra vs Cinesamples and now NI symphony string ensemble

We discussed Hollywood orchestra and Cinesamples earlier due to their mixed reviews in the past. So I decided to right a short piece with another plugin that have gotten much criticism, again just for the fun of it.
So here it comes, it´s an orchestration with:
NI symphony string ensemble
NI piano The Giant
Woodwinds, brass, harp and perussion from Cinesamples core libraries

4 Likes

Symphony had bad reviews in the past?

Those discussions are fun, as you can collect all the impressions that you yourself might have missed, but I think those discussions are only important for people who are looking for only one orchestral library. And there is no „one“. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and at some point the job is to figure out, which of them will work for a specific task best.

The reality is that if you know how to arrange and orchestrate, then it will sound already good no matter the library. And if money is left, you can always update your palette for the better. But it all starts with the arrangement, not the library itself.

3 Likes

Your absolutely right @jlx_music. Of course all libraries have pros and cons.
These little compositions of mine isn’t by any means professional comparisons. I just thought I’d share a little when we got to discuss different plugins. I like all these libraries but in different ways.

3 Likes

I haven’t heard it before I’ve written the post. Very beautiful piece! The beginning is world class. After 30s I had the feeling that the piano is doing too much. I think less notes would work better, so gets not too chaotic. When the woods starts to play, I think you should be more aware, where you harmony and your melody is. So „who is really taking the lead“, and „who is accompanying the lead instrument“.

It’s very classical, I don’t compose music like that, but I hear classical music here and there, so I can feel/heat what could be improved a little bit more. I think it has very great potential, so you could try to work it out and make it into a longer piece. Lots of work, but it will be worth it!

Production-wise, more or less natural. There are some nuances where the library can’t handle what you want in terms of dynamics. You could use even more automation with volume to make it even more emotional.

Really good job! Be proud! :muscle:

3 Likes

I would totally disagree with you in the sense wether or not this is professional or not. You are far too harsh with yourself. Is is extremely professional. Yes the mix is a touch muddy but this is definitely up to the standard of composers in mid tier libraries :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you guys. As always a pleasure to interact in this forum. Thank you for the feedback. I always listen to it and will try to develop.

4 Likes