Best YouTube Channels for Composers

Hello Composers, Mike here! :smiley:

What are you favorite YouTube channels to learn and improve as a music composer, producer and sound designer? Here are my personal favorites:

Professional Composers YouTube Channel

• Alright, so of course I need to mention my own YouTube channel which focuses on Music Composition, Production, Sound Design, Logic Pro X etc. I do lots of tutorials, tips, behind the scenes, reviews and demos of plugins and sample libraries etc.

Alex Moukala’s YouTube Channel

• Alex composes amazing orchestral and cinematic music, and shares a lot of tutorials, quick tips, and behind the composition type content. Even live streams and live composing videos. 100% recommend you subscribe to his channel! =)

Daniel James’ YouTube Channel

• Daniel is a legend among composers that spend lots of time on YouTube and Twitch. He has shown his journey from starting out to becoming successful as a composer. And he does lots of live streams and behind the scenes type of content. Also, he is a cool dude with lots of humor added. =)

Dirk Ehlert’s YouTube Channel

• Dirk has done a lots of hands on videos with orchestral and cinematic instrument plugins and sample libraries, live composing videos, and many long videos overall. So if you have the time and attention, check him out! =)

So let me hear your thoughts my fellow composers. What are you favorite YouTube channels for music composers right now, and why? =)

Sincerely,
Mikael “Mike” Baggström
Founder of professionalcomposers.com

1 Like

Thanks Mike! These are all wonderful people who have contributed so much to the community. Alex and Daniel have that flare in their music that inspired so many younger composers, and Dirk’s personality certainly attracts many. Yours is a goldmine for Logic users and composers looking to step their game up in various styles!!

I have my own channel where I share composing tips, theory breakdowns, and sample library reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzM2CcAZ3kqT-y01ybxF0nw

If you enjoy what you see, please consider subscribing. Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Hello Chris! =)

• I completely forgot about your YouTube Channel, I love your videos, especially the ones getting deep into specific styles of music compositions.

I highly recommend every composers in here to check out Chris’ YouTube Channel! =)

Sincerely,
Mikael “Mike” Baggström

Yes, i am shocked Mike (why isn’t it still on the list? hehe) didn’t put you on the the list :astonished:
Your guides/reviews and ofcourse music is always of very high quality. :ok_hand::+1:

2 Likes

Haha, well my intention was to post a few suggestions, then get more suggestion from the community. I was not trying to make an “all in one list”. =)

Sincerely,
Mikael “Mike” Baggström

1 Like

Haha thank you! Means a lot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

However, now that you mentioned it, I might try in time to create an All Inclusive List of great YouTube Channels, Websites, Podcasts etc. In order to do that I would need to get lots of suggestions from fellow composers of course. :slight_smile:

Dear friend, please visit my YouTube channel for music libraries review and experiences. I share with you all libraries I am working with, the good and the bad. Most important I give you the names and the links so you can put your music also there for sale.

Thanks for watching and subscriptions.

1 Like

Great video series on music libraries Frank, keep going! =)

1 Like

I heard about Alex and watched some of his videos. But I am more impressed by Rich Beato’s channel. I like his videos about music harmony, modes, chords, etc. I will check out the channels you mentioned. Thanks!

1 Like

Rick Beato is amazing, and his knowledge is incredible! He focuses a lot on music theory, mixed with analyses of bands etc. but perhaps not that much in showing compositions in DAW’s, DAW workflow, behind the scenes of scores, how to perform sample libraries, plugins etc. For the record, I love Rick’s channel too! :slight_smile:

Right and I will look up all the channels you recommended and focus in the daw workflow. I also read recently that Cubase, Logic Pro are really good daws, but I have Ableton and kind of used to it. Is Ableton not good enough? I would love to have Logic Pro but it is compatiable only with Apple and Apples are expensive. Is Cubase a better option for orchestral music?

1 Like

Oh so you use Ableton Live? I was a bit surprised to hear that as I would say Ableton is not that great for composers. And to be honest, I personally find it uninspiring due to its “technical” interface.

Cubase is amazing for composers, and one of the true leaders of features for music composition with for example their innovative expression maps that I would love to have in Logic.

I personally switched from Cubase to Logic in 2014 after using Cubase for 8 years since I prefer the workflow overall in Logic more than any other DAW I tried. But that is personal preference. Cubase is a great choice! =)

PS. Whatever DAW you end up choosing, I strongly recommend you spend time learning it as well as you can. Because workflow is everything in music, as every second of interrupted creativity will be frustrating in my experience. So let’s say you choose Cubase. Well then buy an online course on Cubase. And while you watch it. I recommend you to use my favorite technique for learning. Learn, pause, apply. For every single aspect, feature or tip you must do
it’s the only way to learn deeply in my humble opinion. I hope this helps you. :slight_smile:

My Short list of The Best You Tube Channels for Composers:

1. Junkie Xl - https://www.youtube.com/user/junkiexlofficial

2. Nick Murray - https://www.youtube.com/user/nickmurrayvideos

3. Daniel James (already mentioned above)

4. Rick Beato - https://www.youtube.com/user/pegzch

5. Alan Meyerson (Usually you can find Alan’s videos about mixing Orchestral, Soundtrack Music on “Mix With The Maters” web site only (and you have to buy a yearly membership), but there is one very great free video on Waves Audio You Tube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9jZqn5lnw4&t=3159s

1 Like

there is also these one :
for orchestration:

david daas has a great video on star wars

Alex Kaley for harmony and orchestration
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYEnUTY8gB5-aVvaXlO2oTw/videos

Daniel BeijBom : some tutorial and video
https://www.youtube.com/user/dbeijbom84/videos

inside the scoer channel : diffrent analysis of great composer and score

1 Like

I think I basically watch all of these suggestions, so I see this as a great comprehensive list of composers to go watch
 even if you just need to be reminded of them!

The only one I would add is Christian Henderson. His tips for composing for TV and Libraries are really great and he’s probably the one person who gives the best advice regarding the industry too
 which is invaluable.

1 Like