Best woods library?

Hey peeps I’m pondering on what woodwind library to splosh out on as I’m not keen on the woodwind sections I’m using atm (not that they are bad at all, but I’d just like some other libraries. Any suggestions… budget ones would be awesome!

I still mainly use CineWinds, but I am on the look out too. I am intrigued by this new developer https://www.aaronventure.com and their “Infinite Series”. Since I am a super fan of “Playability” meaning instruments that you can actually perform, without relying on boring key switching afterwards! :smiley:

I also have SWAM woodwinds bundle, and it’s alright overall. Better in the high range instruments than the low range to my ears.

I’m not sure if Spitfire Symphonic Woodwinds is good, but it is definitely not budget though! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

You might want to wait for https://www.cinematicstudioseries.com until they release the woodwinds part of their series. I have no idea when though.

1 Like

Yeah come seris looks ace and the spitfire stuff sounds really good but I’m aware that I’m after something that sounds awesome out of the box. I have the studio strings from spitfire that literally is the best string library I’ve ever tried… but the series takes a little work to get the best out of it… the great thing about SFSS it is that it demands more from you which pushes you to create better arrangements. So I may grab that when on offer but I don’t just want to jump to spitfire without knowing exactly what’s out there.

8Dio has a great library for woodwind claire virtuoso it sounds very good and you have a lot of articulation

1 Like

Berlin and Spitfire are good, but very expensive. I’ve heard great things about Infinite Winds @Mikael, for instant playability and control. No keyswitches either!

2 Likes

Chris makes me jealous every time he brings up Berlin. Soooooo expensive but seems perhaps the best sounding library overall.

Tone-wise, I can’t beat CineWinds. Mike is right on with that. Cine is a pain for playability though.

1 Like

I think the tone comes from the great scoring stage Cinesamples use on all their libraries. It just has that kind of sound I love! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ll add this for solo winds. I can spend 6 hours messing with a sample to try to get it to sound right. Pull my hair out.

Then I have Tom come over with his oboe for 30 minutes. Or Marla with her flute. 30 minutes.

Throw a reverb on it and AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

It’s instant and no sample can do it.

And somehow the tone quality of my little control room is just as good as Cinesamples scoring stage. One mic! (Albeit a U-87)

2 Likes

Mike I also think Cinesamples does less cleaning up of their samples than other libraries. They leave in more grit, more extraneous noise, more slop. I feel like I hear more rosin dragging on strings, more players breathing, breath escaping around the edges of a reed, stuff like that. In a mix, you want that. CineSamples doesn’t blow you away as much when you first open up the patch, unless you know you’re looking for that.

2 Likes

My favorite library is BerlinWoodwinds by Orchestral Tools!!!

1 Like

Wow so much to consider. See I’ve used vine winds and yeah they’re very nice samples but I’m totally not a fan of the interface. I really wish I was but it just annoys me :joy: I don’t think I’m built to process workflow in that way… I’m very fond of more simplistic looking libraries but they are usually much more extensive to make up for the fact there’s not a million knobs lol

1 Like

Master Solo Woodwinds by Auddict. I’m always preaching about Auddict’s products lol maybe they should hire me. This library is absolutely my go to for all solo woods needs.

1 Like

Will definitely check them out. Have you thought about contacting them to review their products and what not. I’m sure they’re looking for people all the time for that and demo tracks. Most companies are :slight_smile:

1 Like

I havent thought about that. Pretty good idea lol theyre severly under rated.

1 Like

Go for it. Would be really interesting to see the outcome!

1 Like