Best Synth VST Plugins (Top List)

you can check projectsam each last thirsday you can download for free a kontakt instrument
there is also spitfire labs is totaly free and great sounding
you have also native instrument starter totaly free and lot of instrument and plugin
check also all manufacturer like : soundiron, zero-G, arturia, strezov sampling, best services
the link below dress up a little list of manufacturer

1 Like

Thanx, but I can’t afford the player for kontakt instruments.

the player is free
only the full version of kontakt has a price

here :
https://www.native-instruments.com/fr/products/free/

Thanx! I’ll be looking into it ASAP!! I wish I knew this was available a long time ago.

Fab list and there’s a few I haven’t tried from both your list and other suggestions.

One Fm synth id highly recommend is the FlowMotion by Waves. It doesn’t seem to have made any headlines but it’s really a fantastic tool… plus it is well thought out and is modelled off true Fm synthesis workflows.

Another that I use frequently is Massive… I didn’t like Massive X so I’m going to stick with gen 9. Very good synth and it’s packed with features. Fairly difficult to get your head around at first but when you do it’s very intuitive (except for the sends).

Others that I found notable are
• Alchemy (incredible and top of my list but only in Login atm)
• Native instruments FM synth
• U-HE synth - a free synth that emulates (very well) a jupiter 8. Not only great for beginners but really comes in handy for those right plucky bass sounds… it even does the weird pitch drift that the Juno is famous for!

2 Likes

So far my main favorite is Alpha-Ray (for free). But I just got the free Dexed which is programmed to emulate the Yamaha DX7. I also use the synth vsts by DSK.

Hey Mikael, U-He is 30% off, get the Zebra2 now! (also the other one you wanted). … I am also getting Japp’s libraries.

2 Likes

Hey Jaap, today is the day! I am getting your libraries. :+1:

1 Like

Done. What else do you recommend from there? (or from anywhere…). Ill be back when I get to know the library.

1 Like

Thanks Marco! Hope the set finds some good use.

Well if you after a bit cinematic sounds, you should also checkout the Zebra sets from Pulsesetter tbh.
https://pulsesetter-sounds.com/

What kinds of sounds are you specifically looking for and for what synths? Of course I would recommend anything in my store :grin:, but kidding aside I know a lot of devs and would definately point you in the right direction, also outside my shop.

Your library is very cool, I recommend it very much. I like it, and I would have had the double of presets, but sadly I didn’t buy Dark Zebra… but I didn’t because I know Zebra update is coming very soon, so I haven’t heard anything about Dark Zebra… because I learned that it is not an upgrade, but a complete new Zebra… so… I might get stuck into an abandonware…

Hey Japp, Arturia’s Pigments2 has just been released, and it is at an incredible USD$50.00 … so get it!!! (I just did)

I am searching for Cinematic sounds, and crazy Sequences (Infected Mushroom alike) combined with the classics Tangerine Dream… The Crystal Method… Jean Michael Jarre… Pink Floyd… Depeche Mode… so, it is a crazy mix…
-I didn’t give Reaktor (from Native Instruments) a chance until recently, and I am liking it very much, because it helps you create intricate sequences buchla alike… so that’s something I will be looking into next months…

Regards and goodnight!

Hey, my current favorite synth, Phase Plant was voted Gear Of The Year Winner 2019 by both MusicTech and FutureMusic. :wink:

That said, although it’s definitely a fast and capable sound design power tool, it’s probably not the best option for those who rely on presets and occasional random tweaking. Yet! They’re working on improved preset browsing, more presets from various sound designers, easier ways for users to share presets etc, so I think that will make it much more accessible over time.

Also, in the next update, the Snap Heap (modular effects) and Multipass (multiband modular effects) plugins will be recursively usable as snapins within themselves, and Phase Plant, opening up another level of sound design capabilities through reuse and combination of presets.

In other news, Cinematic 3 for VPS Avenger was just released, and the synth has also been upgraded with granular synthesis, Elastique Pro timestretching/formant shifting, some nice new filters, performance improvements etc, and of course, a bunch of new factory presets using the new stuff - so that one is also very much alive and well, and just got even more capable.

1 Like

Still not an Omnisphere user David? I can honestly say that I use it for 90% of my sound design and synthesis. :smiley:

2 Likes

Nope, haven’t gone there yet! I realize it has a gigantic preset library, and covers basically everything in terms of synthesis, but their marketing focuses so hard on presets and high lever features that it never really caught my attention as a sound design tool.

It is way way way deeper than most people use it for yes, which is the downside of a massive preset library. People get lazy. But I am ‘born’ with sound design passion haha, so I have explored what can be done, and no other synth engine comes close that I’ve tried. The sound lock feature for example is so insanely useful that I honestly get annoyed that it is not there every time I use another synth now lol

1 Like

Well Marco, the upgrade to Zebra 3 without Dark Zebra will only be 29 euro I believe and I plan for sure to keep using Zebra 2 alongside it as I created tons of custom sounds that I am not ready to part with haha, so actually it will be 2 awesome synths soon (in my opinion) :wink:

Thanks for the great words about my set. Very nice to hear!

I saw the update on Pigments and will likely check it out after the holidays as it is now just too busy with all kinds of projects to loose myself in this haha, but looks and sounds splendid!

Based on what you are saying, VPS Avenger might also be interesting to explore. It is often marketed as an EDM synth, but its totally not. It is my hidden secret for all crazy stuff to be honest. You can go deep old school analog till the most bizar arps and sequences as you can run 8 independent arps and sequencers if you wish so.
Reaktor is great, using that a lot to be honest, but can suck completely the time out of your life. Also the Reaktor based synths like Form and Skanner XT are awesome for cinematic sounds. I use those 2 the most for the more unique sounds in my trailer and cinematic works.

4 Likes

Hej Jaap, I am getting VPS Avenger, by your advise. I’ve been playing with the demo and I believe it will add to my work, so I am getting it right now… do you have an affiliate link? (so you can profit from my purchase, after all, you sold it to me practically.

If you do, please let me know.

Also, if you have libraries of your own to sell, or if you know of some VPS Avenger libraries that are very sequence full… let me know.

:+1:

2 Likes

Hey Marco, nice to hear you will go for it. I have applied the 1.5 update last week (didn’t do it before due to a project) and it became even more amazing tbh.
I don’t have an affiliate link, but thanks for asking that! Manuel and Keith (the devs) are one of the hardest working people and it is amazing how much extra they provided for free with all the updates, so they deserve for sure the full money.
I have myself the Cinematic 1 and 2 and Atmospheria expansions. The cinematic ones are really nice. Atmospheria is amazing in sound, but please note that this are mostly pre-baked arrangements and sounds and more like “1 finger” patches that can be helpfull for creating quickly a layer with a lot of depth to your work, but you can’t really change much or play your own chords for example.

I have created myself the expansion The Stand (tested and works in 1.5) which received very good feedback and critics and very happy with that one tbh :smiley:

All the best wishes for a good, healthy and musical 2020!

1 Like

Het Jaap, I did get the Avenger… haven’t had much time to play with, but I already used it in a production…

I like very much its ARP capabilities. (check out BitWig, it is a DAW synth at the same time, too many options to create very intricate polyrhythms and Arps… and it has the best workflow I’ve seen yet, I love it!)

I’ve been using more Zebra2, what a great one! I can’t wait to get Zebra3… if then, DarkZebra still is not obscured by this new one, I also will get it. I believe Zebra has the best sounds and filters than any other software Synth.

I will check on your expansion pack. I use presets mostly to learn from, because I try not use them in productions… I already learned a thing or two with the Zebra presets you sold me :+1: Having seen your work, I trust your judgment regarding synths and presets, so I’ll keep an eye on your comments.

Have a great 2020, and even more musical!!

1 Like