BBC Discover problems! Please advise

I can’t begin to count how many times I read and heard online how great Discover (free version) sounds. So I downloaded it with (almost) breathless apprehension.

BUT – Is it just me who’s having a problem like this?
— I compose a lot of classical style orchestration. However, I have a problem with many of the instruments in Legato mode (“Long”) not maintaining the same volume when you hold a note down – it gets louder, then a bit softer, then louder again, etc. No matter what adjustment I make with the slide bars, it doesn’t make much difference. I like the near-authenticity of many of the instruments, but this factor alone prohibits me from using this VST in many of my compositions.

I’m wondering if my DAW (Mixcraft) that I’ve used for many years has anything to do with this. Or if I’m not doing something else that can remedy the problem. (I’m using a Yamaha MIDI keyboard to compose, by the way.)

Anyway, thanks in advance for any and all help with this.

Hello Paul,
I will download and try it out myself and see if I have the same problem. Without hearing it, I suspect it’s just the way those patches work, maybe in an effort to make them ‘realistic’, as often a long note, especially in the strings, can have some intensity variation, which is used to add some interest to longer notes.
But on average, I hear more quirky things about Spitfire than most other vendors. After my first 2 Spitfire libraries, I more or less gave up on the idea of buying anymore, since I don’t care for their tiny Kontakt interface, and I have too many problems with them, various features/controls stop working randomly or just don’t work at all. And I’m not able to “get under the hood” to add my own reverb in Kontakt, like I can with every other library.
Anyway I’ll get back to you within a few days with anything I can find out about it.

OK I tried it out and can’t reproduce the problem. Mine seems to work ok. How long ago did you download and install it? And what OS are you using? I noticed they have changed everything, including where the LABS patches are downloaded from, and renamed many of them, so I had to completely reinstall all my spitfire LABS libraries. Probably has nothing to do with your problem though.
Are you having any problems with your other VST sounds or libraries? Might be a sound card or driver issue.
You could either try reinstalling it, or open a support ticket, and explain with a copy and paste from your post on this page.

Thanks so much, Jim.

Jim, I have no problems with any other library doing this. I reinstalled it a couple of weeks ago, but it didn’t seem to change anything.
It just totally baffles me that I find so many videos online that tout this free VST as one of the best. I can’t be the only one having this problem, right?
I appreciate your feedback!

I’m not surprised really. I often have problems with the few Spitfire libraries I paid good money for, and so I rarely use them because I just don’t want the hassle. The one you’re having problems with runs from an app built just for some Spitfire libraries, so it’s not nearly as widely tested as most other sample players.
Overall it’s hit and miss with computer programs, and especially sample libraries. It hurts to think of how much $ I’ve dumped into so many that I will never use, for various reasons.
I was running Windows 7 until recently, and was gradually having more & more compatibility problems with newer libraries, and with Kontakt loading older versions of itself… [no idea how it manages to do that].

Have you gotten any feedback from Spitfire support on it? If not, it might turn out to be a simple solution. It’s got to have something to do with their player app, and only they would know where to look for such a bug.I just recently contacted them about downloading the BBC library [I couldn’t figure it out at first] to test it, and they responded within a few days though I had already figured it out by then.

Hey! Yes, I contacted them and they seemed to think this was ‘normal’.
But again, why are there so many favorable reviews out there on Discover? Baffling.

I’m in the process of downloading the new Sonuscore Orchestra Elements VST, which has rave reviews as well (and also free). Curious to see how this will pan out and if I’ll be agreeing with the reviewers.

Appreciate your input!

They thought it was normal? Holy cow…Something like that should rarely be the norm, unless it’s a special effect, and I didn’t detect anything like it. I tested several instruments, not just the strings. That’s really wierd.

I didn’t know the Sonuscore freebie was available, so thanks for the notice. I’ll check it out.