Apple Logic Course

I am in the middle of taking the Apple Course on Logic Pro and I’m learning a lot. We are basically going through the Logic Pro X book by David Nahmani, and some extra stuff. It’s mind blowing how deep this DAW can go.

2 Likes

Can’t imagine a better one , 25 years on Logic never needed a change :grinning: Wish you all the best & lots of fun !

3 Likes

Has logic really been going that long?? I know le bought it up in the early 2000s but didn’t realise it had been around for ten years before that.

2 Likes

It was called Emagic back then . I started with a midi only version 2.1 or something like that If I remember well All the best !

2 Likes

In 1986, I recall Performer and Vision were the most popular new MIDI sequencers (after the introduction of the Macintosh). There were a couple of others but those two stood out the most. Then a few years later, Cubase and Logic came on the scene. I don’t remember the exact year, but guess it was around 1990. Pro Tools started up around the same time too, but it was audio only at the time.

2 Likes

Ah wow, the things you take for granted. Logic and Protools are my two main Daws, as i learnt on them both. i remember back in 2009 when i was first introduced to Logic it had only recently got 24 bit recording capabilities so it was still way behind what Protools was capable of. often my workflow back then consisted of composing in Logic and the exporting that as 24 bit Wav files so that i could mix it and increase the bit depth manually in post. it worked well until Logic 10 came out and brought a lot of exceptional changes with it.

i think that was around 2011/2012, and i really enjoyed Logic from that moment onward. i still used Protools to do my mixing back then because ive always enjoyed the Automation in protoos… where you can open various sub sections and mix multiple automation strands at the same time without having to scroll through a menue section every time you need to ajust something.

For a while i ended up just using Logic 9 at home and ended up getting used to just working in that. then when Logic had all those major changes last year which included the automation function in the main window for stack automation and stacks i couldn’t resist. now i’m completely n Logic and i love it! they’ve also added an automation curve mouse command which can be really useful and iv’e recently started using that more for gradual crescendo/diminuendos. such a cool little idea… again Protools had that for a while too. i think that the Logic idea for not loading stems that weren’t being used came from Cubase though if i am not mistaken.

3 Likes

Respect you’re clearly on a pro level using Logic . I’m afraid I’m not so educated in music, so I use Logic in a different way than classic composers do . To me the automation is a strong feature for controlling sound , I work with NI softsynths etc…crescendo diminuendo’s are ofcourse great tools to create dynamics in music and I like those classic compositions a lot. But for instance filtering a sound can create similar feelings … take it down to a near sub freq and pull it slowly ( or fast ) to it’s normal freq and you got some dynamics too imho . Controlling all parameters with automation is to me indeed one of Logic’s great features too . All the best !

2 Likes

Ah thank you, I’ve been using it a while. Yes dynamics are your best friend when writing music, and the development of dynamics over time are even better.

Yes a low pass filter can be great for adding movement to a synthetic sound source, though there are many other ways to do this too. Some use LFO’s, envelopes, phase and chorus based effects etc… all these effect frequency and volume over time finding easier ways to do this is our job as a composer too. Logic seems to have most of these easy functions now which is great!

2 Likes