A Tribute to 25 Years of Star Trek Voyager - my tribute

Set course for the Alpha Quadrant!

It has been 25 years since Star Trek Voyager first aired in 1995, so to pay tribute to Jerry Goldsmith’s marvellous title theme, I have attempted to create my own version/arrangement, trying to keep the main melody mostly in tact and using the chordal structure that underlies the theme. I have expanded the style to incorporate the orchestral elements, while infusing some electronica to give the piece some futuristic rhythmic pulse. Drums were added to give a more epic, spacey feel.
I wanted to avoid listening to the original title theme as much as possible, so as to avoid making just a copy, so you will notice, for instance, no adherence to tempo, key or even melodic accuracy as well as structure. I have ventured to create something that is in keeping with my style, but still harkens to Jerry Goldsmith’s melodic and harmonic brilliance.
My version is in D Major, with a tempo of 100 bpm. In the “verse” section, I have emulated the rising bass line drom D to G Major just as in the original and the “middle eight” section uses the same G Major, Eb Major, C Major, A Major chord pattern that gives us that wonderfully tense build up that leads to the reprise. It was always my intention to start small and end up big (which only makes it more difficult for me to mix and master).I retained the trumpet motif at the very end, as a sign off that is undoubtedly Voyager!
I have used around 45 tracks, with libraries from 8Dio (brass, strings, Rhythmic Aura2), Spitfire’s BBCSO (glock/celeste/stacc violins), Ethera Gold (vocals, pads), various Native Instruments libraries (piano, bass, percussion, drums). The guitar sound was from a free Dronar cinematic library. I also used a pad from an old DUNE vst.

I hope you feel some nostalgia from listening to my version and feel free to comment. As I mentioned, my dull ears find it extremely hard to master effectively, but as an amateur, I try not to tie myself in knots too much and just try to post something that shows that I managed to finish!

LLAP
Adrian

6 Likes

This is stunning. One of my favourite ever themes and you nailed it

2 Likes

Undoubtedly one of my very favourite theme tunes too, Geoffrey. Thanks for taking a listen and your kind compliment! That gives me a rewarding feeling. Much appreciated. I might have to watch all 172 episodes again, but is being locked down and furloughed much different to traversing 70,000 light years through the Delta Quadrant?!
Regards,
Adrian.

1 Like

Aha yes I was actually considering watching Picard on amazon Prime. It looks quite good and I haven’t had the time to watch as of recent. I’ve recently been binge watching Smallville (smallville spin-off) which is very good… sometimes cheesy but no doubt it is good.

So you may have given me an idea on my next venture too!

1 Like

if planet earth keeps on this track, then a lot of us in the near feature will go where no man has gone before. Nice work indeed.

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, I think Star Trek can be seen as a metaphor for our struggles and hope, not just as a species and our future, but as individuals looking to extend ourselves and ‘to boldly go…’

Gorgeous Adrian. You have done Maestro Goldsmith, and the whole Star Trek franchise proud with this. The instrumentation, the emotional feel and vibe, were spot on. Going into my playlist for sure!

Coincidentally, I happen to be doing a cover of the Star Trek DS9 theme, though I chose the intimacy of a piano trio for it, so nothing too fancy, but it’s probably my favorite ST theme. Haven’t had the chance to check out ST: Piccard yet but, ST: Discovery is really good if you haven’t seen it (assuming you have though :smile:)

1 Like

Ahh, thanks a lot Matt! What wonderful feedback from an ST admirer! That means a lot to me.
I’m very interested to hear your version of the DS9 theme, which must be pretty difficult to break down. Its rhythmic and phrasal cohesion is very unique. I’ve never sat down to work out its time signature or even where the first beat sits!
I have seen all the ST generations so far (having recapped 172 episodes of Voyager this year) and I am up to date with ST Discovery, as well as Picard. If you haven’t yet, just have a listen to the Picard theme by Jeff Russo, which is just amazingly beautiful!
Regards,
Adrian

1 Like

Yes, the very first phrasing with the horns was a pain to figure, because it keeps getting rhythmically offset, first on beat two, then beat three, then back to beat two but with a triplet feel–gah! Love Jerry Goldsmith of course, But Dennis McCarthy’s trumpet/horn fanfares in that G-Mixolydian are my all-time favorites.

Jeff Russo, huh? I did love his ST: Discovery soundtrack so, I’m looking forward to hear the Piccard one as well then. I still can’t he’s the same guy that was in the rock band Tonic. Then again, it’s harder to believe that Hans Zimmer was the keyboard player in, "Video Killed the Radio Star.":rofl:

1 Like

I’m not sure I’d even attempt DS9’s theme, to be honest. Hats off to you for rising to the challenge! Please post your creation when ready. I really look forward to having a listen. There’s something about ST music which sets it apart from any other genre/franchise and I think all those composers who have contributed over the decades have done a sterling job (whatever thier past musical incarnation has been, lol!). It surely is a fine and admirable musical heritage and legacy.

1 Like

Huge van of voyager, this is lovely!

Sadly Picard was a huge let down! was just awful! :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks, Ben!
I rate Voyager as my favourite of the bunch. Not enough attention paid to the end/climax episodes imo, and hell, there were some dire episodes, but I put it slightly above TNG, for its characters and music mostly. A pity there was no Voyager movie, though.
I actually enjoyed some of ST Picard, for it’s more reflective moments, but the storyline/plot was a bit meh. I agree
No spoilers now!
Regards,
Adrian

1 Like

Oh no don’t say that :frowning: what’s so bad about it??

I agree, I really wish there was a voyager movie.

1 Like

Sadly everything!

The plot is awful and all over the shop, its pushing every political agenda you can cram into it( Though I realise star trek does this generally ) but TNG and others did it well, it had life lessons and messages and showed us how to be better people through great story telling.
Picard sadly doesn’t and they’ve made his character just awful ( to put it nicely :slight_smile: )

The script is shocking. All star treks up to now reference their conversations/dialogue like they’re in the future ( as they’re meant to be ) so mannerisms, slang etc isn’t there. Theres a certain educated feel about the chat, if that makes sense, whereas Picard just hits lowest common denominator.

Have a watch of ‘The Critical Drinker’ ( he’s a youtube channel guy) he reviews he and puts it much more succinctly that me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iowa then and get back to you (obviously trying not to be influenced too much by this so I can give an honest opinion. :slight_smile: thank you Ben!

2 Likes

I enjoyed this! Brought back some fond nostalgia of checking my VCR and hoping it didn’t run out of tape! I’m not sure if it was intentional or not, but the vocals come across to me as a nod to the theme of Earth: Final Conflict, also inspired by Gene Roddenberry. Or perhaps I’m just getting sentimental and nostalgic! Great work!

2 Likes

Thanks, Troy! I’m glad you enjoyed my tribute. I’m now going to look up E:FC to try and find out what you were referring to, as I had no previous exposure to this. Many thanks and regards, Adrian.

1 Like