A Software Idea

I have, what I think, is a great idea for a piece of software.

As fas as I know, it is an original concept.

Does anyone have any contacts, advice, advanced coding abilities, etc. to help me bring the idea to fruition?

1 Like

Maybe… I’m a senior developer (23 years in embedded systems, control engineering, device drivers, deep packet inspection, scripting engines, GUI, …), and I’ve also done a bit of synths and audio engine development on the side. I’m not exactly a hardcore audio DSP wizard, though. It depends on the size of the project, and what you need. :slight_smile:

Hello David.

Thanks for responding.

Well, it’s not a synth or a software instrument.

Control engineering, deep packet inspection and script engines sound like it might be what is needed, though I have no clue as to what they are.

A GUI would be needed.

I wonder if you could give me a basic (very basic) idea of what these skills entail?

Well, this is a HUGE field, with so many different ways of doing things, but I’ll give a quick outline, along with some hints as to what I’ve worked on. :slight_smile:

Control engineering is basically anything that involves sensors, actuators, motors etc. Most of my career has been in that area, more specifically, in lab instruments (mostly rheometers), with some vehicle/engine stuff and other projects on the side.

DPI is essentially analyzing network traffic. The solutions I’m working with are mostly used for managing Internet subscribers (phone, fiber etc), and categorizing and prioritizing traffic in order to deliver a good, reliable experience.

Scripting is essentially “programming lite,” though the lines are pretty blurred these days. Among other things, I’ve developed a scripting/programming language for realtime applications (games, audio, control engineering - it was used for implementing measurement programs, regulators etc in the last generation of rheometers I worked on), and a small one that’s used for sub-sample accurate control inside an audio engine.

I’ve developed a few custom GUI toolkits (for games, portable tools etc), but without really having any idea what you have in mind, I’d probably recommend either something like JUCE (used my many plugins and audio applications), or a web UI.