Your Favorite Video Game OST?

Which Video Game Themes or Complete OSTs (Original Soundtracks) do you love the most? :slight_smile:

Here are a couple of mine:

• Zelda - Main Theme
  • Halo - Main Theme
  • Skyrim - OST
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2 - OST
  • Baldur’s Gate 1 - OST
3 Likes

Some favorites, by sound technology, in approximate order of preference:

8 and 16 bit:

• Bionic Commando (C64, Amiga) - Tim Follin
  • The Last Ninja 2 (C64) - Matt Gray
  • Silver Surfer (NES) - Tim Follin
  • Battle Squadron (Amiga) - Ron Klaren
  • Project-X (Amiga) - Allister Brimble

MIDI (OPL FM and GM/GS synths):

• Doom - Bobby Prince (In particular Sign of Evil!)
  • Doom II - Bobby Prince

Modern (streamed audio):

• Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Bill Brown
  • Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - Mick Gordon
  • Doom 2016 - Mick Gordon

The MIDI category is a bit thin, as I just didn’t play that many PC games from around that era. I was a Amiga user through most of that era, and then PC soon moved on to streaming audio from CD. Anyway, the Doom MIDI soundtracks stood out to me as musically interesting, and really creating an atmosphere, rather than just sounding “placeholder” to me, as most GM/GS music did. Also sounds great with both OPL (FM) and real synths. (Sounds fantastic with a Roland JV-1080 in GM mode!)

As for “Modern,” there are many, production quality is incredible etc, but strong, memorable melodies aren’t all that common after the “chip” and MIDI eras. (Wasn’t much else to work with back then, so it’s kind of logical.)

RTCW stands out to me, as I love the atmosphere of that game, and the soundtrack happened to be what got me seriously interested in orchestral music in the context of games.

As for Mick Gordons soundtracks, I love the dark atmosphere of The Old Blood, the Doom 2016 soundtrack is every bit as amazing and intense as the game itself.

3 Likes

The whole Mario series OSTs are very nostalgic for me if we talk old school games! :smiley:

1 Like

hello
for me here is the list:

• halo
  • world of warcraft
  • diablo III
  • unreal tournament
  • final fantasy
2 Likes
  • The Secret of Monkey Island
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Baldur’s Gate
  • Mirror’s Edge
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Tropico 3
  • OutRun
  • Dune II
  • Star Control II
2 Likes

i forget to mention the music of old game on pc

• king quest V
  • alone n the dark
  • sonic
  • doom
  • wolfstein
  • duke nukem 3D
  • gran turismo on psx
  • rage racer on psx
3 Likes
  • Myst 3: Exile
  • Neverwinter Nights (original game)
  • World of Warcraft
  • Skyrim
  • Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Journeys
  • Assassins Creed 2
4 Likes

Elder Scrolls Oblivion (Best of PC/Xbox 360/Ps3 era)
Shadow of the Colossus (Best ps2 fantasy)
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 (best ps2 action)
Donkey Kong Country (best of the classic SNES era)
Divinity Original Sin 2 (best fantasy RPG music of the past 10 years IMO)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Best JRPG OST)

3 Likes

God of war -Bear McCreary really lovely OST with a Norse feel

Monument Valley- with a really lovely sound track

Final fantasy 8 probably one of the most cinematic of the series

https://open.spottily.com/playlist/3Juu6pldsJaUA0uJ5cINtC?si=-ZF-WsjFQGqErwnD34PROA

Journey, Austin Wintory/ beautiful score and an interesting and beautiful game

Uncharted series by Greg Edmonson- these games have amazing soundtracks that work so well with what’s happening on screen.

Also for sheer effectiveness is alien isolation - a game that genuinely creeped me out and the OST works so well with this aim

Honourable mentions - shadow of the beast - Amiga version, Nier, Witcher 3, red dead redemption, horizon zero dawn,Mass effect 2, Deus Ex human revolution. Metal Gear solid series,last of us…

There are so many good game soundtracks over the years. It always impressed me with C64, spectrum and the other 8bit games how good some of the music was with so little hardware.

3 Likes

My favorite video game soundtrack is Zelda Majora’s Mask. I especially liked the Song of Healing, Stone Tower Temple theme, Ikana Castle theme, the Termina Field version of the Zelda theme, Oath to Order, and the song that plays when the moon is about to crash into the world.

4 Likes

Hands down favorite of mine is The Last of Us soundtrack, it was the first game soundtrack that really moved me. I also have a soft spot for the Metal Gear Solid theme, especially the Sons of Liberty version.

3 Likes

I haven’t played many video games, but I’ve heard some soundtracks that I’ve loved, for example:

• Halo (before 2012)
  • Final Fantasy (Distant worlds album)
  • Lair (by John Debney)
  • Cuphead
2 Likes

Picking a game is pretty difficult because I haven’t had a good computer when I was young. The majority of my friends had GTA or Halo on their PCs and I was pretty jealous of them. I used to play on Spider Solitaire - Free Spider Solitaire Online | 2 suits and 4 suits or any other site that had online games. Now, I have a gaming PC and each game is accessible, but I’m always reminding the times when I didn’t have anything like this and I’m grateful for now. I’m going to raise my kids the same way in order to learn to appreciate everything that they have and work for their dreams

1 Like

Haha! I love the original PC Doom music (Of course, sometimes I turn off the music and put on some Slayer while taking out those demons!)

1 Like

Pretty much have to give the top spot to the SoulCalibur soundtracks since it was listening to them that inspired me to get back into learning orchestral composition. I especially love, “'Til Fate Writes My Epitaph,” from SoulCalibur V by Cris Velasco (love his work from Bloodborne and God of War, too)

Also, Tekken 6, Skyrim, Monster Hunter/Monster Hunter: Iceborne, Final Fantasy XV

1 Like

Wow! I probably can’t think of all that are really on this list for me.

I have so many 8-bit NES games with music permanently cemented into my head. Some are great, but even the ones that aren’t so great have parts that still inspire me. There was a platformer called The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer that has this haunted house level with a goofy theme using a whole tone scale that still gets in my head. All the Zeldas are good. I obviously love Dragon Warrior since I did my own arrangements of that whole game last year. Other ones from that time period are Ninja Gaiden, Batman, TMNT, and Maniac Mansion.

For more modern favorites, I love the music from the Halo games. Most of the Resident Evil games have great music, my favorite is the original RE2. All of the Final Fantasy’s are great, my favorite being VII.

Skyrim and the other Elder Scrolls games are awesome. Big fan of Jeremy Soule’s music. I’m in the middle of working up some Soule-style music for a Skyrim mod so I’m kind of steeped in that right now. My first time hearing Soule was on a game called Giants: Citizen Kabuto and I still love that soundtrack.

Bear McCreary’s work on the latest God Of War game is phenomenal.

I love anything by Austin Wintory.

But my all time favorite game soundtrack (and game) is Gustavo Santaolalla’s score for The Last Of Us. It’s just soooooo moving.

1 Like

Before game OST’s were a thing that was available to find or buy I used to hook up my system to the computer and sit at each game level for several minutes to record the music in a DAW and then put it together into my own soundtrack CD. Did anyone else do that back in the old days?

1 Like

Chrono Trigger. It is one of those once-in-a-lifetime creative endeavors you couldn’t repeat even if you tried. BTW, playing a game called bingo blitz now-a-days. I recommend you guys to play the game. Its really fun. And if you need extra credits you can get it from here

First of all people mix up OST with Video Game Music in general. OST means Original Soundtrack, so only use OST when referring to the soundtrack of a game.

Anyways I think my all time favorite OST is the soundtrack to Ys V for the SNES. Here’s a list of my other favorites:

-Chrono Trigger
-Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism
-Undertale

hello
i think the best i have ever listen is all of the music for the game world of warcraft, each piece are amazing
i love also the tomb raider music

1 Like