Which is your current Favorite DAW as a Composer?

Reaper.
I own Cubase but never use it anymore. Foremost I detest usb licensing dongles so that narrows which daw i will use. I like the simplicity of installing and licensing and using Reaper on as many computers and laptops as I wish and without dongles. The Reaper community is amazing, so helpful. So many Reaper themes and plugins. So easy to use Reaper-- double click to add a track and the track works for anything (midi, audio recording, video, etc) unlike Cubase where you must specify a type of track to add when creating a new Track. Reaper is CHEAP ($60) and the cost is good for two full versions which normally means around 2-3 years; and just one version of Reaper, no games to buy a simple version, pro version etc.

1 Like

I tried some DAWS out there, but always coming back to Studio one ^^ ! the only features i like from others DAWS are the piano roll of FL studio, i find it very inspiring as i motsly work with midi ! and the step recorder in cubase, i also like that, i think it’s something fine for those of us who are not piano player to try some things ^^ !

1 Like

I mainly use Renoise, since I started making music with trackers, the interface makes me feel most at home, no piano roll. Basicly a tracker with midi capabilities.

I’ve used cakewalk pro audio, sonar and fl studio previously, they’re ok. When I switched to midi sequencers from fasttracker 2, I also tested cubase (which I hated from the start) and Logic audio which I was going to start using but the PC version was discontinued.

2 Likes

I´m not sure yet which is my favorite. I have Studio one 4, Cubase 10,5, FL Studio 20 and Reaper. I think I´m going to try to learn Cubase from top to bottom. If I have to pick I think Studio one have the best workflow.

Another thing: Of course I think the best would be to learn one as good as possible. But when I´ve worked some time in Cubase (my standard) I just find it inspiring to change for one or two projects. Is it just me who think so?

1 Like

Hello Alexey, Are you certain your iMac can not be upgraded to 16 or 32gb? There has been confusion over the last few years whether this can be done or not. My iMac is a mid-2011 and was told by Apple and other techs that I was limited to 8gb. After reading on, I took the chance and installed (4) 8gb modules. It has been running for 4 years with no issues. Just double check again. Crucial website can help and offer good resource for upgrading RAM.
chuck

Hi Chuck! @Proteusmym,

well I can go up to 64 GBs, it’s fine. 8x more than I had worked with for 8 years, and still could get things done :white_check_mark:
@Fredrik well, I think sometimes it makes sense to switch to get inspiration, but definitely not when you are a beginner, it’s too confusing and time wasting. However, I could think of syncing my shortcuts too Logic later if I decide to get Logic 11. Who knows :slight_smile:

1 Like