What part of day do you prefer to write music and why?

When do you write most and how does it affect your composing? :thinking:

4 Likes

Well I am and always be a night guy, I guess, so it comes natural for me to create when itā€™s getting dark, plus no one is disturbing me, my concentration, so my creativity. Iā€™ve tried to do some sessions in the morning but I feel like nothing comes together and it feels like doing ā€žworkā€œ and/or feels like itā€™s hard to concentrate. I usually start doing music after 3 pm, sometimes a little bit earlier. However, I can sit till 3-4 am but depends on if Iā€™ve done something or not. If I feel happy, I switch off the lights earlier.

Itā€™s a great topic, and a hard one, as creativity and mood are very connected together, and itā€™s very hard to say if you can pull something off today or not.

When I mix, and start earlier, as my ears are fresh, I know I have time till letā€™s say 7 pm where most neighbors would gold insane if you continue with the loudness. (One neighbor said I have to stop playing action games.) Iā€™ve said, sorry I compose music, I donā€™t play shootersā€¦haha (okay, sometimes I do, but definitely not that evening).

After 6-7 pm I switch to headphones :headphones: only, if I need to do something else where I donā€™t need speakers.

4 Likes

I get up 4:30 am and take my dogs for a walk after that I do the best composing. I think my ears are in the best state then.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a morning guy.
I compose and practice instruments from 7am to lunch. After that I do other tasks like mixing and other business related things.
A strong believer in routines. Works best for me. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If I could do it however I wanted, Iā€™d like to start making music first thing in the morning and go until lunch, then maybe return for listening and mixing after dinner.

But, since I have a remote day job, kids doing remote classrooms at home, a 2-year-old at home with me, and after-school activities to shuttle the kids to and from, the very earliest I can get to music is 3pm, but itā€™s usually from 8pm to however late I can manage to stay up.

2 Likes

Ask your neighbors what their favorite music is and maybe they will let you play it loud then. :sweat_smile:Its the same for me I canā€™t use monitors after 9pm I keep them mid level volume if that late, I do go sometime until 9 because upstairs neighbor is loud all day everyday so itā€™s kind of equal. But its also not good to wear headphones too long and play them loud. Thats interesting that you feel like more a job during the day but not at night.

2 Likes

Less distraction the better does make sense.

1 Like

Whenever I get time to be honest. Preferably not too early as I have neighbours and Iā€™m not a morning person, but I donā€™t feel a specific time of day yields any more or less productivity. Just do what you can, when you can I think :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Always in the evening. Mixing etc. can be done during the day, but Iā€™ve always found it easier to write music in the evening, completely dark room, it just puts me in the mood haha!

3 Likes

Evenings / night. There is a less distractions and I can really dive into it.
Canā€™t wait to have my own house somewhere in the middle of nowhere where I can still blast my speakers at 3 AM without anyone complaining about noise :smiley:

2 Likes

like a tiny house with a studio inside all the bears will hear your music and come to stop by.

2 Likes

Haha, I would LOVE to have a house with a separate ā€œstudio shedā€ on the lawn. Downside is, I would practically live in that shed instead of the house lol! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Iā€™m building a 30 square meter building next to my house. The other day I asked my girlfriend what she thought I should do with it. She said: Why donā€™t you make a studio. :blush::+1::+1::+1:

4 Likes

or is `it a downside :sweat_smile:
tiny homes are so popular now some rich folks even doing it to live more simply

sounds like a smart idea.

1 Like

Hey Fredrik, is that an ā€œattefallshusā€ as we call them in Sweden?

1 Like

In my case itā€™s a former garage Iā€™m rebuilding so I donā€™t go under that rule. But it would of I were to make from the start yes.

1 Like

She is a definite keeper.

1 Like

I would love to see a picture on the build. In fact, you could perhaps make a thread on the process of your studio build in the ā€˜studio & gearā€™ section. :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ySoY4KxmVXdWaN99A
Well I havenā€™t decide yet, but it would be a great studio.

2 Likes