What part of day do you prefer to write music and why?

When do you write most and how does it affect your composing? :thinking:

4 Likes

Well I am and always be a night guy, I guess, so it comes natural for me to create when it’s getting dark, plus no one is disturbing me, my concentration, so my creativity. I’ve tried to do some sessions in the morning but I feel like nothing comes together and it feels like doing „work“ and/or feels like it’s hard to concentrate. I usually start doing music after 3 pm, sometimes a little bit earlier. However, I can sit till 3-4 am but depends on if I’ve done something or not. If I feel happy, I switch off the lights earlier.

It’s a great topic, and a hard one, as creativity and mood are very connected together, and it’s very hard to say if you can pull something off today or not.

When I mix, and start earlier, as my ears are fresh, I know I have time till let’s say 7 pm where most neighbors would gold insane if you continue with the loudness. (One neighbor said I have to stop playing action games.) I’ve said, sorry I compose music, I don’t play shooters…haha (okay, sometimes I do, but definitely not that evening).

After 6-7 pm I switch to headphones :headphones: only, if I need to do something else where I don’t need speakers.

4 Likes

I get up 4:30 am and take my dogs for a walk after that I do the best composing. I think my ears are in the best state then.

2 Likes

I’m a morning guy.
I compose and practice instruments from 7am to lunch. After that I do other tasks like mixing and other business related things.
A strong believer in routines. Works best for me. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If I could do it however I wanted, I’d like to start making music first thing in the morning and go until lunch, then maybe return for listening and mixing after dinner.

But, since I have a remote day job, kids doing remote classrooms at home, a 2-year-old at home with me, and after-school activities to shuttle the kids to and from, the very earliest I can get to music is 3pm, but it’s usually from 8pm to however late I can manage to stay up.

2 Likes

Ask your neighbors what their favorite music is and maybe they will let you play it loud then. :sweat_smile:Its the same for me I can’t use monitors after 9pm I keep them mid level volume if that late, I do go sometime until 9 because upstairs neighbor is loud all day everyday so it’s kind of equal. But its also not good to wear headphones too long and play them loud. Thats interesting that you feel like more a job during the day but not at night.

2 Likes

Less distraction the better does make sense.

1 Like

Whenever I get time to be honest. Preferably not too early as I have neighbours and I’m not a morning person, but I don’t feel a specific time of day yields any more or less productivity. Just do what you can, when you can I think :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Always in the evening. Mixing etc. can be done during the day, but I’ve always found it easier to write music in the evening, completely dark room, it just puts me in the mood haha!

3 Likes

Evenings / night. There is a less distractions and I can really dive into it.
Can’t wait to have my own house somewhere in the middle of nowhere where I can still blast my speakers at 3 AM without anyone complaining about noise :smiley:

2 Likes

like a tiny house with a studio inside all the bears will hear your music and come to stop by.

2 Likes

Haha, I would LOVE to have a house with a separate “studio shed” on the lawn. Downside is, I would practically live in that shed instead of the house lol! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’m building a 30 square meter building next to my house. The other day I asked my girlfriend what she thought I should do with it. She said: Why don’t you make a studio. :blush::+1::+1::+1:

4 Likes

or is `it a downside :sweat_smile:
tiny homes are so popular now some rich folks even doing it to live more simply

sounds like a smart idea.

1 Like

Hey Fredrik, is that an “attefallshus” as we call them in Sweden?

1 Like

In my case it’s a former garage I’m rebuilding so I don’t go under that rule. But it would of I were to make from the start yes.

1 Like

She is a definite keeper.

1 Like

I would love to see a picture on the build. In fact, you could perhaps make a thread on the process of your studio build in the ‘studio & gear’ section. :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ySoY4KxmVXdWaN99A
Well I haven’t decide yet, but it would be a great studio.

2 Likes