What kind of Exercise (fitness) do you do?

I have had problems with my back for years, from a past hard labor job + too much sitting work in the studio. I take daily walks, but I also started doing short but efficient fitness (strength) workouts from home. I have a few dumb bells and such so I can make this in 15-20 min effective workouts without having to go to the gym. :stuck_out_tongue:

What do you for exercise and fitness to make sure you stay healthy?

1 Like

I have two dogs so I have to walk several times a day(getting dogs is a good way to force yourself to workout if you otherwise have a hard time getting out).
For me it’s not an issue since I have a hard work. But my advice from a long experience with athletics is:
If you have MUCH TIME to spare combine cardio with strength. Running, biking, swimming, weight lifting.
If you have LIMITED TIME to spare favour very heavy lifting preferably 1rpm. Here’s why:
Heavy lifting creates more endorfins in short time than any other form of training that makes your body work even when your later sitting at your computer.

Just remember all exercise is good exercise. And the best exercise is the one you actually do.

If you have backproblems @Mikael you have to build muscles around the troubled area so weights is much more beneficial than cardio for you. Tip: read MAQ muscle, action, quality.

2 Likes

Yes, I have noticed significant improvement after only 1,5 months of strength training. Especially focusing on exercises that focus in on the core. I will say however, that I plan to get a standing desk later this year as well, simply because of how much sitting I do. And sitting is a killer for your back, even with a good chair.

1 Like

After all it’s against human nature to be still. Look at the astronauts at the international spacestation, training program every day. Hope your back gets better @Mikael.
Oh. Forgot one thing: Squating(sitta pÄ huk) at least 10 times a day makes wonder for the hole body.

2 Likes

Thank you Fredrik, yes it is indeed not natural to be still for long periods of time. I think squats are great exercises, I also need to focus more on my back muscles since I sit so much when working.

2 Likes

I work as a software developer, so i need to sit in front of the computer all day. If I am in my office i try to walk every houre to my collegues to talk a bit, of course also instead of grabbing my phone. As I am in home office now for like 6 weeks, i stand up walk some seconds, before sitting down again.
I try to go jogging up to one hour every sunday, but normally i play a bit soccer two times a week.

Try to change your sitting position every 10 minutes, walk around, do some very easy trainings for your back. but in fact you need to do some sports. it is very important.
I wish you all the best @Mikael

2 Likes

Thanks Michael, yes I believe I must become better at taking also “micro breaks” often. I tried running, but it puts also much pressure on joints, and made me more “stiff” in my body. Nice walks in nature (softer ground than streets) seems best for me.

2 Likes

Right now I try to do something like this:
It’s an old one: 20, 20, 20
After 20 minutes of work, stand up, look out the window at least 20 meters away for 20 seconds.
Good for eyes and body.
I have problems with my neck, shoulders and elbows. I’ve leaned forward to much, got a bad posture. Now I sit without leaning my back which seems good, took a few weeks but now I got more used to it.

I do different exercises. I take 2 small breaks before lunch for about 10 - 15 minutes each with yoga and some stretching, For my elbow I do another exercis every second day. Afternoon everyday I go for a walk for about an hour and now I’m about to do some kettlebell too since my elbows slowly getting better.

2 Likes

Ah yes I agree Stephan, taking lots of breaks from sitting sessions of work is very important. May I ask what kind of elbow exercises you do? I often have aching elbows, mainly due to the hard labor work I did for many years. It is worst for me when I wake up in the morning, since the joints are more stiff then.

I’ve watched these and then made up my own exercices from them:

4 Likes

Thank you Stephan,
I will try those, the pain I have goes away and comes back intermittently. Some days I barely feel anything, other days they ache badly. I also think that sitting work for long periods each day is probably making it worse, so I have been looking at getting a standing desk.

May I ask what kind of labour you had when your pain began and exactly when the pain started? Was it during hard work or after?

Mike oh man sorry about Your back :pensive: I pray and it gets better
I have a thick mat that I do jogging on this take a lot of the pressure of my 50 year old joints
And try to do 3 x 20 squats once a day well I try
I also use it for sliding back and fourth with socks to get my blood pumping
And I do planks on this as well

https://www.amazon.com/Everlast-2X6-FOLDING-MAT/dp/B000O2GCS8?th=1

1 Like

Hi there could You explain more on this please I too have back problems as well as neck pain

1 Like

Two examples:

1. If you have an injury that causes pain, the muscles around if being build up will ease the pressure on the injured part so it can heal more sufficiently. And when that happens your body will compensate and use the injured part as much as your pain level will allow and therefore heal faster. In best scenario completely.
  2. If pain is caused by stiff and untrained muscles which is very common when sitting a lot: Take your spine for example it has a slight s curve to take pressure and flex when moving, running, lifting things. When you sit your spine get a more straight form which causes a more static and unnatural pressure on the discs that often leads to stiffness and pain and worse. The same goes for knees, feet, shoulders etc.
    The body must have dynamic pressure and movements that press and stretch the joints, discs and muscles and lets the blood transport nutrition, oxygen to every part. Evolution has made it like this.
    Very important also is the food in this context. Carbohydrates in to high amount have its uses with hard work but can do harm when being still cause they feed inflammatory processes. Also right sorts of fat acids can(despite what many people think) do the opposite and decrease inflammatory processes.

To sum up: Move as much and as heavy things as possible but listen to your bodys pain warning system.

1 Like

Well it was on ICA-lagret (warehouse/distrubution of goods), which and I worked there for almost 6 years. Sadly I saw many young fit people got their backs, shoulders etc. broken from how stressful and heavy the work was. I started feeling more aching mainly in my elbows, back and shoulders in the last years, and that made me decide to quit before it was too late.

After I quit my shoulder pain have gone after 2 years of rehab training, but the pain in the joints of my elbows have been there all the time no matter what I try for rebab. The back is not aching as much most of the time, but long studio sessions are bad.

1 Like

Ah interesting, I have as a matter of fact finally started changing my habits because I want to become healthier. 5 weeks ago I started strength training, not all in, just starting out with light fitness with dumbbells and body weight exercises. But I also started reading up on food, because I want to eat healthier too.

I did not know all those things about the spine, seems you have studied this a lot? Would you say my idea of getting a standing desk to get variation during the day is good for the back?

1 Like

This is a dear subject to me since sports have been my other interest besides music. And also my girlfriend is a sjukgymnast (don’t know the english word). I have studied natural science and made works about red and white muscle fibers.
Much of what we learned in the 80s and 90s is not good we now know better. It’s a common issue that rehab training doesn’t help more than initially.
The best one can do for the back is dead lift. But of course starting out with care and at low weight than increase. Technique is important.
Three of the best exercises you can do is military press for shoulder problems, squats and deadlift for the back.
And remember bad food can spoil good training.

2 Likes

Oh. Forgot to answer your question. Yes I think it’s good to be able to stand at the desk and work. Just remember the key is variation. And squat once every half hour. By that I mean “sitta pĂ„ huk” as deep as possible for 20 second that’s all. Try to do it with your heels in the ground and your back straight not leaning forward.

2 Likes

Ah, thanks. Yes I will most probably invest in a standing desk later this year. But I will also have my standard desk for music and video work, so it will be automatic variation I guess depending on the work I do. :slight_smile:

2 Likes