What is your Day Job?

I was just thinking it would be fun to learn what we all do for our “day job”? :slight_smile:

I’ll start:
So I run my own business, focusing mainly on teaching/education in the realm of music/audio.

5 Likes

I’m a senior developer, specializing in low level programming (engines, device drivers, realtime, embedded), currently working with network appliances intended for congestion control, subscriber management and various other tasks.

I was doing game development and contract work full time for a few years, until I dropped the increasingly time consuming contract work for a full time job. I never really returned to programming outside of my day job, though, which pretty much meant the end of my custom engine based projects. The “business” now essentially consists of me honing my music and art skills, while investigating less code intensive game development solutions. Plugin development may also happen, but mostly for my own personal use.

5 Likes

I’m a carpenter and entrepreneur. I build most things from fine carpentry to houses. Anything in wood. I love music but I also love wood. I would not manage without a physical job. And even better that makes music composing something to look forward to all the time.

5 Likes

Curious, did you build your own music studio yourself? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes I did. But I promise it’s nothing special. Built it with left overs from kitchen renovation.

3 Likes

I’m soon gonna build a studio desk for a customer I’ll post it when it’s done.

1 Like

Kitchen tops are amazing for desks (IKEA hacks). I got one myself for my studio makeover I did a few weeks ago. :wink:

3 Likes

Well it’s a long story. I went freelance in 1971 as a photographer - ‘graduated’ to audio visual producer - video producer - computer graphics - employing up to five people. But in parallel I was always writing music - and first published on CD by Carlin Music in 1989. From 1990 I added lighting design in professional theatre (I’d been doing lighting with amateur companies for years prior to that). I’ve worked with some of the top theatre companies in Scotland and toured with them all over the UK and Europe.

Always writing - playing live in bands for years too - done a few films and over 350 library tracks - one of which was mega - but sadly never quite repeated.

Professional photography is all but over nowadays thanks to iPhones and amateurs giving stuff away for free but I still shoot my own projects for stock mostly. I haven’t worked on a show in over a year because of Covid mostly - several jobs cancelled/postponed - but I’m running out of time. 74 next birthday so I’ve probably retired but haven’t admitted it yet. For the past year I’ve been a full time composer - writing for libraries and released ten albums of ambient music - and of course, earning next to zero!

What a sad way to end.
feel free to visit www.awpmusic.co.uk/

5 Likes

I work for a company that produces high-voltage switching hardware and software for use on industrial and city power grid systems. Luckily, COVID hasn’t affected us at all since, as we say, ‘got to keep the electrons moving’ :grin: Music is my passion though, have been doing it since childhood, but now am trying to build a small business out of composing.

5 Likes

IT for a small international non-profit. Or…it was small in the early 1900s. :joy:

5 Likes

I have been working full time with library music since autumn 2017.
Last year I decided to put my effort as an artist instead with relaxing music on YouTube as a complement (it’s not monetized yet).
Many a little makes a mickle or every little helps I hope.

6 Likes

Bus driver! :bus:

5 Likes

Which publishers/libraries do you use for your music?

2 Likes

I can’t give you any names except for the royalty free libraries which you already know.

2 Likes

I run my own (small) advertising agency at home. I do almost everything related to advertising. From the logo to corporate identity, flyer to an annual report, 3D designing from exhibition stall to interior designing, video editing, 2D character animations. And playing the guitar (bass, lead rhythm), keyboard and drums (can manage) and recently I started composing with a DAW (earlier I composed on the keyboard)…

So that’s my job. Honestly, I would like to say still I am not earning money from music directly. I compose tracks for my client’s videos, documentaries and animations and make money indirectly.

6 Likes

I’ve had just about every type of job within IT, but currently I’m a developer at a large home delivery company with a plan of transitioning into composing over the next few years.

4 Likes

Hi

I was a machinist for the transit society of Montréal called STM then I had an opportunity to upgrade and work as a mechanical technician with the ingeneering department. I work on the busses but as a machinist I fabricated and repaired parts for both metro and busses.

Music is a passion as well as photography (been doing on the side contracts for about 5 years) and filmmaking.

Here is my photography website in case you are interested and an example of my work:

7 Likes

I am PhD researcher and Lecturer in Composition and Musicology. As well as this I am teacher of music at the AICS school in Amsterdam, where I run music research activities as well as a choir and multiple music shows for the kids. I compose for movies and videogames semi-professionally and I have my own band called Crimson Vibe for which I compose, sing, play keyboards and bass.
I used to use East West sounds but I have change, I think for better, to Sampletank sounds, which I love and I am enthusiastic about.

Best.

Jorge

5 Likes

Old and retire hahaha but having a great time compostin By the way this is my site go visit and help this old guy with his adolescent dream https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClNZtpGsfMXMaIkU9m-rWIQ

6 Likes

For ± 40 years I am a pro multi style percussionist from Amsterdam functioning in the international arena, both live and as a session player. Already 14 years I run my ‘Percussion Today Home Studio’ where tracks go in-out all the time, for a vast variety of projects, artists, producers, composers.
I hope that’s clear… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
And yes, me too, I’m very grateful for Mikael’s youtube channel! :pray:t4:

6 Likes